Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

I just find it funny how people can watch these games and still say we were dumb to not take a WR in round one.

Like what else can Doubs do out there? His catches have been nothing short of phenomenal.

We’ve got another elite EDGE in the waiting, an upcoming elite ILB and an IDL who is going to have an elite season or two.

Plus the next elite QB.

To go along with an elite slot WR (if you’ve been watching Reed you know), an elite possession receiver and an elite deep threat.

All without a single first round pick spent at WR.

The Vikings have two elite receivers and are in the market for a franchise QB, an offensive line and a defense.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, MacReady said:

I just find it funny how people can watch these games and still say we were dumb to not take a WR in round one.

Like what else can Doubs do out there? His catches have been nothing short of phenomenal.

We’ve got another elite EDGE in the waiting, an upcoming elite ILB and an IDL who is going to have an elite season or two.

Plus the next elite QB.

To go along with an elite slot WR (if you’ve been watching Reed you know), an elite possession receiver and an elite deep threat.

All without a single first round pick spent at WR.

The Vikings have two elite receivers and are in the market for a franchise QB, an offensive line and a defense.

Are they really elite, or do they have potential to be elite?  Either way they probably didn’t need to draft a first round wr, but it is a valid question.

I feel like the board is acting like teenagers with a brand new girlfriend and a lot of new relationship energy, where they are certain she’s the one, and when their friends point out that it’s possible she’s a little high maintenance they lose it.

I like how things have started, but the team is young,  They need to stack success and earn the title of elite imo.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

49 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Are they really elite, or do they have potential to be elite?  Either way they probably didn’t need to draft a first round wr, but it is a valid question.

I feel like the board is acting like teenagers with a brand new girlfriend and a lot of new relationship energy, where they are certain she’s the one, and when their friends point out that it’s possible she’s a little high maintenance they lose it.

I like how things have started, but the team is young,  They need to stack success and earn the title of elite imo.

I didn’t call any of the receivers elite. Combined they’re elite, but they’re each elite at their own specific role.

And having three players great at what their role is is better than one player who can do all three things.

7 minutes ago, 15412 said:

Gary is a good person and has a chance to be a great player.  His game needs to grow though, has to become a better run defender, edge sealer, pass rush finisher.  He's young, I believe it will come.

so do I, but it wont come cheap, edge rushers get blamed for poor containment all the time, no one blames the CB.

the advantages of zone coverage include the CB attacking on run plays, ours tend to do a poor job on that, very obvious against the Hawks, Douglas imo did much better against the Saints, I remember one play he nailed the RB for just a 2 yrd gain, Alexander needs to emulate that, he didn't even look to try against the Hawks, and your right Gary also needs to improve at it.

As someone around here said...its sunk cost at this stage. I think we'll simply ride out the season (if theres any hope of him actually playing again)...and deal with it in the off season. It's a shame though cause we really could use his anchor on the OL.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Leader said:

As someone around here said...its sunk cost at this stage. I think we'll simply ride out the season (if theres any hope of him actually playing again)...and deal with it in the off season. It's a shame though cause we really could use his anchor on the OL.

I was just pondering this today. Let's say you sit Bakh down in the offseason and say "listen, we think you have another year left in you, but only if you restructure." What sort of offer would be fair to him and the Packers? If his dead cap hit is $19M, and you restructure his base salary and roster bonus to $5-10M, would that be a fair offer? I doubt there's a huge market for his services after this season.

On the other hand, for $5-10M you could probably draft his replacement and just go with them. IDK I'm really just spitballing here, I'd love to hear other people's thoughts.

2 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

I was just pondering this today. Let's say you sit Bakh down in the offseason and say "listen, we think you have another year left in you, but only if you restructure." What sort of offer would be fair to him and the Packers? If his dead cap hit is $19M, and you restructure his base salary and roster bonus to $5-10M, would that be a fair offer? I doubt there's a huge market for his services after this season.

On the other hand, for $5-10M you could probably draft his replacement and just go with them. IDK I'm really just spitballing here, I'd love to hear other people's thoughts.

I really don't think he has anything left so probably a moot point

19 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

You eat the 19 Mil and you learn from your mistake. Don't give our 3rd contracts to aging Olinemen. It just never works and DB is the only one in recent memory they tried it with and it's bit them over and over. Sucks but it was a TT thing although wasn't it TT signed him to that huge 3rd contract. 

1 hour ago, PACKRULE said:

You eat the 19 Mil and you learn from your mistake. Don't give our 3rd contracts to aging Olinemen. It just never works and DB is the only one in recent memory they tried it with and it's bit them over and over. Sucks but it was a TT thing although wasn't it TT signed him to that huge 3rd contract. 

I think this contract was a little bit of 12 appeasement. 

2 hours ago, PACKRULE said:

There was no indication that this injury was possible.  Crappy unfortunate that it happened.  The flip side of not doing this contract is Bahktiari goes elsewhere in FA and plays multiple years at pro bowl/ all pro level.