Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

3 hours ago, PACKRULE said:

You eat the 19 Mil and you learn from your mistake. Don't give our 3rd contracts to aging Olinemen. It just never works and DB is the only one in recent memory they tried it with and it's bit them over and over. Sucks but it was a TT thing although wasn't it TT signed him to that huge 3rd contract. 

Come on man, that injury was a fluke. That can happen to anyone.  CB Diggs in Dallas had the same fluke injury and he's on a rookie deal. 

I had no problem giving him that deal. The man was lights out before he went down.

I agree, some positions you may not give 3rd contracts to. But you pay your Tackles if they're healthy and still getting the job done.

What happened to Rodgers in week one is the perfect example why you pay those guys.

You think the Jets got a good return on their investment with 4 snaps of Rodgers in 2023? How about 12.5 M per snap.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PACKRULE said:

Sucks but it was a TT thing although wasn't it TT signed him to that huge 3rd contract. 

That was a Gute signing. He’s been the GM for almost 6yr (Jan 2018). 

I can’t fault the signing too much, short of using hindsight. At the time Bakh wasn’t particularly injury-prone, playing in over 90% of games. & they correctly projected that he would still be able to produce a high quality-of-play well into his 3rd deal, which is usually the main concern w/ 3rd deals. He started at an elite enough level that he could still be good after losing a step. They just did not correctly project his availability. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I don't think so.   Every team in the league would resign a 28/29 year old All Pro level LT.  

Our history of allowing third contract lineman to walk suggests otherwise. We let Linsley walk a year later. There have been several others over the years as well. 

Edited by Old Guy

13 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

I really don't think he has anything left so probably a moot point

I think this is probably the correct point. He has a high output when he plays, but knowing when/how long he will play probably means you need a starting caliber backup. If you have a starting caliber backup, no need to keep him. 

13 hours ago, PACKRULE said:

You eat the 19 Mil and you learn from your mistake. Don't give our 3rd contracts to aging Olinemen. It just never works and DB is the only one in recent memory they tried it with and it's bit them over and over. Sucks but it was a TT thing although wasn't it TT signed him to that huge 3rd contract. 

I'm with the other posters here. The contract was easy to justify, the injury was mostly a fluke. It would be really hard to watch a Pro bowl guy ball out on a third contract that you had the chance to have.

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Our history of allowing third contract lineman to walk suggests otherwise. We let Linsley walk a year later. There have been several others over the years as well. 

Clifton got a third deal? We've let solid OL walk, but the really good ones have gotten some third contracts. You are using a pretty small sample size to make that statement as fact.

Edited by spilltray
  • Like 1

Just now, spilltray said:

Clifton got a third deal? We've let solid OL walk, but the really good ones have gotten some third contracts. You are using a pretty small sample size to make. 

Sorry, Linsley is no Bak player wise.  I don't blame them for signing him to a 3rd contract but it certainly hasn't panned out.  I've had 3 knee replacements and it's not fun with complications that aren't good.  If he can't go it's for good reason.  He'll be gone next year with $20 million salary savings.   

5 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Clifton got a third deal? We've let solid OL walk, but the really good ones have gotten some third contracts. You are using a pretty small sample size to make that statement as fact.

No, we've had a history of allowing really good offensive lineman walk prior to third contact. The mantra has always been, better let them go a year too early than a year too late. 

The Bak situation is biting us in the butt. The fortunate thing for him was he got his new deal six weeks before he blew out his knee. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

No, we've had a history of allowing really good offensive lineman walk prior to third contact. The mantra has always been, better let them go a year too early than a year too late. 

The Bak situation is biting us in the butt. The fortunate thing for him was he got his new deal six weeks before he blew out his knee. 

No I don't really think we have. Show my other high end OL that walked? I can't think of any. The ones who have walked have been nice players sometimes but nowhere close to where Bakhtiari was at the time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Linsley wasnt a LT.

I know you think it's the point but it actually isn't. The point is the law of averages are offensive linemen are going get hurt more frequently when they reach their late 20's to early 30's. Your body isn't built to withstand that much punishment over that period of time.

Bak didn't turn out to be the exception to the rule, he reinforced it. 

Just now, spilltray said:

No I don't really think we have. Show my other high end OL that walked? I can't think of any. The ones who have walked have been nice players sometimes but nowhere close to where Bakhtiari was at the time.

Sitton and Lang immediately come to mind. 

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I know you think it's the point but it actually isn't. The point is the law of averages are offensive linemen are going get hurt more frequently when they reach their late 20's to early 30's. Your body isn't built to withstand that much punishment over that period of time.

Bak didn't turn out to be the exception to the rule, he reinforced it. 

It's the point. Trent Williams, Jason Peters, Duane Brown, Andrew Whitworth. Good teams hold on to good LTs well into their 30s, and they win with them. 

Have the Cowboys cut Tyron Smith? Stud tackles who's oft injured. Wonder why??

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It's the point. Trent Williams, Jason Peters, Duane Brown, Andrew Whitworth. Good teams hold on to good LTs well into their 30s, and they win with them. 

Have the Cowboys cut Tyron Smith? Stud tackles who's oft injured. Wonder why??

Regarding Tyron Smith, they haven't cut him because of the massive amount of money they would have had to eat. He's another example of a guy who they gave one too many contracts too, so thanks for making my point.

How many teams has Jason Peters been on? Duane Brown? Even Trent Williams is on his second team. Andrew Whitworth played a hell of a long time with the Bengals. Hardly a franchise at that point you'd want to use as someone to emulate. 

You selected 4 LTs to make a point. None of them finished with the original team. So, teams actually do not hang onto their LTs. 

How many tackles play up to their massive contracts into their 30's? It's an anomaly and you know it. 

I absolutely love what Bak brought to Green Bay. The point is giving an offensive lineman a massive contract that is going to take them into the 32-33 range is a bad idea and the statistics bear this out. 

• Like 1