Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

5 hours ago, Uffdaswede said:

If you meant toll booth, tool booth might be even better—a kiosk from which tools for adjusting pad levels and fixing things we intend to get fixed are sold.

You do speak the truth, regarding the physical impression the coaches give and the shallow evaluations that fans and media place upon such things. For me, McCarthy’s manner of speaking weighed more than physical appearance. 

In retrospect, much of what I didn’t like about the team under his tenure was probably more to do with Rodgers than McCarthy, and most of my issues with him were shallow or mistaken.

I’d feel bad for having held him in lesser regard than I should have, but he’s a bajillionaire and I check the couch cushions for change.

Everybody makes fun of that pad level comment but:

1. It's the perfect answer and fundamentally translates to "What the ****? You think I'm going to tell you that we lost because our Safety bit overly hard on a Cover-2 smoke coverage leading to a deep TD and the rest of the time we spent too much time with light boxes getting slashed apart by outside zones because we have limited talent at 5T? Of course not, STFU"

2. It's also totally true. You can survive your DBs sucking if your OL and DL play with elite pad level and are pushing guys around. 

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Yeah I saw Andy Herman make a point that I hadn't considered. If you're Preston, why not just run across the field and take the 5 yd offsides penalty. If you're not going to call timeout, a 5 yard gain is probably your best case scenario.

2 hours ago, Leader said:

This is true, and they certainly aren't to blame for the loss, but once again, timing and situational football matter too. We were obviously struggling all night on offense again and yet, we managed a 13-10 lead and then kicked the ball back to the Raiders. The defense responded by giving up a rather easy 75-yard TD drive to a mediocre offense and that proved to be the difference. Maybe it's too much to ask but we needed the defense to close the door last night and they just couldn't do it. 

I compare our current situation to Pittsburgh. They've been brutally struggling on offense as well, yet are 3-2 largely because their defense has straight up won them at least 2 games (Cleveland and Vegas). This last week they struggled again with only 17 points yet won because their defense held the Ravens to 10 on the road. Our defense has been playing decently well, but they also are not "winning" any games for us, and that's the type of team we are at the moment with this offense. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

2nd year Walker in his 2nd? ever start is a "declining" pass blocker.

How to say you don't understand football without saying you don't understand football 

That was his 4th start, first two were great, last two, pretty bad. Hence "declining."

Sample size too small to come to a long-term judgement, but his play has certainly declined over the last two weeks. So has Tom's. 

48 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

This is true, and they certainly aren't to blame for the loss, but once again, timing and situational football matter too. We were obviously struggling all night on offense again and yet, we managed a 13-10 lead and then kicked the ball back to the Raiders. The defense responded by giving up a rather easy 75-yard TD drive to a mediocre offense and that proved to be the difference. Maybe it's too much to ask but we needed the defense to close the door last night and they just couldn't do it. 

I compare our current situation to Pittsburgh. They've been brutally struggling on offense as well, yet are 3-2 largely because their defense has straight up won them at least 2 games (Cleveland and Vegas). This last week they struggled again with only 17 points yet won because their defense held the Ravens to 10 on the road. Our defense has been playing decently well, but they also are not "winning" any games for us, and that's the type of team we are at the moment with this offense. 

It didn't help to not have Campbell and Quay in there last night either.

1 hour ago, ChaRisMa said:

Aaron Nagler has the vocabulary of a teenage girl.

”I just can’t” 

He’s very good at convincing people he knows what he’s talking about. Did you know that he claims that NFL teams “have paid him to watch NFL film”? I can only imagine what the actual truth is there