Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

7 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Hawk was drafted exactly where he should've been. 

Besides, when you look at that draft, just about every team in the top half of the first round should be regretting their pick - there were like 5 slam dunk "wow" guys (Mario Williams, Ngata, Hali, Mangold if you don't mind him being a C, Vernon Davis probably)  a handful of solid ones, and a lot of disappointment 

We also got like a top 5-10 player in that draft with Greg Jennings, if we are going to play the hindsight game.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Even so, a RB over a pass rusher or two there? If Detroit had a pass rush to go with Aiden right now, they'd be a scary team...Gibbs and Campbell don't remotely move the needle.

The trade down landed DET Gibbs and LaPorta.  Any particular reason you are leaving LaPorta out of the conversation?  Does LaPorta not move the needle for you either?  Who is this mysterious impactful pass rusher you would have taken at #18 rather than Campbell?  I think you are probably imagining that player because he wasn't in the draft.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I'm glad he's not in Detroit. Wish he had gone to AFC though on a bad team rather than to the friggin Eagles. 

So gross.

I'm glad he's not in DET too.  I just think it's dumb to suggest that landing Gibbs and LaPorta rather than Carter is GM "malpractice" 

8 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I hope Love takes the turkey leg slight and turns it into a huge Aaron Rodgers sized chip on his shoulder

That was ridiculous .. they must have known right away that they blew it, because they announced that they would be making a donation in Jordan's name to the charity of his choice.  Why not just have a friggin' turkey ready for the guy liked they've done for many years?  

Why were we talking about Jalen Carter in here?

The minute he got past 7th overall we should have traded up to get him. Our first this year plus Clark.

Instead we got nice guy Van Ness and no killer instinct on defense.

But even if he had fallen all the way to our second round pick, Gute would have picked the nice person.

12 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

That was ridiculous .. they must have known right away that they blew it, because they announced that they would be making a donation in Jordan's name to the charity of his choice.  Why not just have a friggin' turkey ready for the guy liked they've done for many years?  

Greg Olsen tore it apart with his bare fingers and ruined it live on air. 

1 hour ago, MacReady said:

Why were we talking about Jalen Carter in here?

The minute he got past 7th overall we should have traded up to get him. Our first this year plus Clark.

Instead we got nice guy Van Ness and no killer instinct on defense.

But even if he had fallen all the way to our second round pick, Gute would have picked the nice person.

I wonder what this looks like in 5 years. LVN is a top 12 pass rusher and Carter is out of the league.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I wonder what this looks like in 5 years. LVN is a top 12 pass rusher and Carter is out of the league.

Like some time about those not-nice guys, is sometimes they are actually maniacs and their talent is probably not worth the headaches that come with having to deal with that guy.  They might be, but even with like Lawrence Taylor it wasn't obviously so.  Michael Irvin stabbed a teammate with scissors!

11 hours ago, incognito_man said:

LVN could be a top 5 pass rusher in the league who still asks how the quarterback’s family is doing and dusts off their butts while Carter will have a Super Bowl ring.

11 hours ago, incognito_man said:

The insufferable know there is no accountability in 5 years for outlandish comments made today. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

The trade down landed DET Gibbs and LaPorta.  Any particular reason you are leaving LaPorta out of the conversation?  Does LaPorta not move the needle for you either?  Who is this mysterious impactful pass rusher you would have taken at #18 rather than Campbell?  I think you are probably imagining that player because he wasn't in the draft.

Christian Gonzalez>> Gibbs and LaPorta

Kancey, Banks, JPJr >>>> Campbell 

14 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Detroit should have stayed put and drafted Carter first and foremost. At 18, I probably would have taken Kancey (along with Carter) and reinvented my defensive line. Detroit still had plenty of ammo in the 2nd and 3rd if they wanted LaPorta in the 2nd. 

Detroit is 8-3, yet you are starting to see their defense fall apart a bit and that's for one reason -- they have no pass rush outside of 97 and teams are starting to find ways to neutralize him, just like we did last week. Without a better pass rush they have zero chance at a deep playoff run.