Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Unless you know that shoulder is a chronic issue, you have to assume that a full offseason should give him enough time to get it right.  Right now, Jaire's cap hit for the 2024 season is $24.3M and that's assuming that the Packers don't convert that roster bonus into a signing bonus (which seems very likely).  If they release him, he costs the Packers $27.5M to release him.  And it's the same if they trade him.  The Packers would have to eat an additional $3.1M to trade/release Jaire Alexander.  If the Packers convert that roster bonus into signing bonus, Jaire's cap number drops to $17.4M so that's nearly a $10M swing.

From a pure cap perspective, it costs the Packers more to not roster Jaire Alexander than it does to keep him.  For that reason alone, the Packers don't need to move on from him.  If a team wants to pay to acquire him, I'd listen.  And now that we're out of a financial chokehold of the Rodgers' contract, the Packers could afford to pay out the roster bonus and not convert it to a signing bonus.  After next year, the Packers would actually save money by moving on from Jaire Alexander.

Thanks for laying out the financials.  This is the second time he's injured the same shoulder.  Was concerned about handing him that big contract after the first time he injured it.  He held up the following year and got paid.  Hurt that shoulder again so yah I'm definitely concerned about it.  If we can score decent pick and afford to move him I'd do it.  Stokes probably doesn't have any trade value at this point.  That dude will be lucky to make the roster next year. Really upset at the state of affairs in our secondary.  Gute will be busy in the offseason.  Don't think you can count on either of these guys. 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

If I'm betting, he's a Packer next year. I just don't know how anyone could draw a conclusion there is absolutely no reason to trade him. 

Because there's no incentive to trade him.  Are the Packers better off without Jaire?  Absolutely not.  Even if you believe he's completely done with the Packers, he's still by far the best CB the Packers have.  Do the Packers have the bodies behind Jaire to withstand his loss?  Definitely not.  Do the Packers gain financially by moving on from him?  Nope.  LIS, if someone wants to come up here and make a strong offer on him, the Packers would be dumb not to listen.  A mid-2nd round pick isn't that.  It's a FRP+ for me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Because there's no incentive to trade him.  Are the Packers better off without Jaire?  Absolutely not.  Even if you believe he's completely done with the Packers, he's still by far the best CB the Packers have.  Do the Packers have the bodies behind Jaire to withstand his loss?  Definitely not.  Do the Packers gain financially by moving on from him?  Nope.  LIS, if someone wants to come up here and make a strong offer on him, the Packers would be dumb not to listen.  A mid-2nd round pick isn't that.  It's a FRP+ for me.

OK, that is my point! I was disputing your statement there is absolutely no reason to trade him. We don't know that and now, you're OK trading him for a FRP. 

I think we're on the same page, but it could absolutely get to a point you have to move on from him.

19 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Yah you and your damn logic.  I'm just pissed.  Still though don't think Alexander will make it through a season.  Dude maybe one hell of a corner but doesn't do you any good if he's on IR.  I'd trade him for a mid 2nd and be done with it.  Sure the Packers will come to the same conclusion you did.  We aren't going to get a 1st for him.  

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

The Packers did not elect season-long captains this year, instead using a weekly rotation. 

Is this common with other teams?  Maybe it's nice and all to let players take turns each week but I'd prefer season long captains that strengthen continuity and provide clear leadership as captains.  I guess it depends on how locker rooms value them.

They actually changed how they do it precisely because both Z Smith & Jaire were upset about not being named captains in the past couple of years, per Jason Wilde. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Last one is not necessarily true. Jaire earns 16M in new money in 2024. His value in 2022 and 2023 are not close to being worth that kind of money. I am not saying they should cut him, but if you find better production with that money you should definetly consider it. Specially since he's not a guy who has value outside the field (see Aaron Jones as a guy you shouldn't pay that much money but his leadership justifies it).

Edited by VonKarman

6 hours ago, thrILL! said:

The Packers did not elect season-long captains this year, instead using a weekly rotation. 

Is this common with other teams?  Maybe it's nice and all to let players take turns each week but I'd prefer season long captains that strengthen continuity and provide clear leadership as captains.  I guess it depends on how locker rooms value them.

That for me goes back to there is no leadership on the team. The offence I get they are young but the defence has no characters and leaders and that's a large part why they stink.

We need to go all out, full on Reggie White style, get God to tell Aaron Donald to come to the Packers, he will be in the last year of his deal or Chris Jones is an FA in 2024

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Old Guy said:

OK, that is my point! I was disputing your statement there is absolutely no reason to trade him. We don't know that and now, you're OK trading him for a FRP. 

I think we're on the same page, but it could absolutely get to a point you have to move on from him.

When I say no reason to trad him, it meant without the Packers getting a pretty strong package in return.   I mean, if a team is dumb enough to offer up 5 FRPs for anyone on my roster, I'd be dumb not to consider it.

23 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

When I say no reason to trad him, it meant without the Packers getting a pretty strong package in return.   I mean, if a team is dumb enough to offer up 5 FRPs for anyone on my roster, I'd be dumb not to consider it.

Ok, but now you went from the fairly possible, a single FRP, to the absurd, 5 FPRs. 

There are reasons why Jaire isn't on the roster next year. He wasn't suspended for being a choirboy. There is an issue there and none of us know what it is at this point. 

15 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Ok, but now you went from the fairly possible, a single FRP, to the absurd, 5 FPRs. 

There are reasons why Jaire isn't on the roster next year. He wasn't suspended for being a choirboy. There is an issue there and none of us know what it is at this point. 

I was saying that I'd listen to offers on anyone, Love included.  IF the price tag was high enough, I'd move just about anyone.  Not saying I'd move him for the first offer that hits my desk.

As for Jaire Alexander, I think a FRP this year plus a conditional pick next year would be my minimum price tag to move Jaire Alexander.  And that's only if I thought he was going to be a distraction.

• Like 1