Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Just now, R T said:

Yes.

Looking at this drop rate this year and the way our youngsters are developing I think it would be a battle. Is he probably better than Heath, yes, but I'll take Heath on his rookie contract. 

Lazard could make the GB roster, I'm just not sure why he would want to.  GB surely wouldn't pay him much, and I'd think he'd be firmly behind Watson, Reed and Wicks at the very least.  Lazard has multiple seasons playing a high % of snaps in MLF's offense.  He certainly could fill a role, but I'm not seeing where adding him to GB's WR room makes a lot of sense for anyone.

14 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Allen Lazard has to be one of the most overrated Packer players in recently memory. Blocking being your best trait as a WR isn’t good lol. 

He’s WR 6 on this roster . 

He was a WR 6 on our roster last year....when he was our WR 1-2 lol. (okay, a little hyperbole but still...) There's just nothing there with this guy. I wouldn't pay him vet min to come back. This group is set as long as Watson figures out how to play more than 2-3 games at a time.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

If the Jets cut Lazard this off season, could he even make our roster in a hypothetical situation? 

No.

The only guy he *might* be better than currently is Heath and for their respective roles, Heath might even be better.

Add another off-season and year for both and Heath probably beats him out on pure merit anyway.

• Like 3

Lazard is a solid WR3 in the league, we just have one of the deepest WR groups in the league right now. He'd clearly be WR5 on this group, but that's a pointless discussion because he'd be way overpaid for that role nor would he want it.

He'd be perfect for a team like Minnesota, Jefferson and Addison as 1-2, Lazard doing the dirty work as #3, that's the type of role he's best at. With an actual QB in NY next year I would imagine he'll do just fine there as well as their #3. Hell he was perfect here when we had Adams. He just can't be the go-to guy in your system. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Allen Lazard has to be one of the most overrated Packer players in recently memory. Blocking being your best trait as a WR isn’t good lol. 

He’s WR 6 on this roster . 

Not sure how he was overrated? We had him for his league minimum rookie contract. Got a lot out of a guy on that sort of contract. We then allowed the Jets to overpay him and are getting, I believe, a 4th round comp pick. 

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

If the Jets cut Lazard this off season, could he even make our roster in a hypothetical situation? 

Yes.  He is better than Heath, Toure, and Melton.  And he would see the field in situations that would give him an advantage over Reed, Wicks, and Doubs.  I like our current room, but there is no reason to poo poo a former player just because he is struggling on another team.  Every pass catcher struggled on the Jets this season.  That is a product of Zach Wilson.  Even Garrett Wilson, who had 1000 yards, only averaged 11.0 ypc and took 168 targets to get there.  

The question is, what kind of money is the guy going to get? Certainly not the ridiculous money the Jets gave him, but it would probably still be the highest in our room.  

3 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

The question is, what kind of money is the guy going to get? Certainly not the ridiculous money the Jets gave him, but it would probably still be the highest in our room.  

This would be the problem to me.  I can't see where paying him anything above the min would make much sense.  Better off letting the guys already in the room continue to develop, and spend the money somewhere else.

• Like 2

On 1/11/2024 at 9:20 AM, spilltray said:

Even with Rodgers at his best, Lazard capped out at "serviceable". Paying him that contract is just laughable.

That is the opposite of what people said while he was here in GB, earning more and more snaps by default in his 2nd and 3rd years, and then as a pending FA. 

He was a:
"great number 2 receiver, one of the best in the league when you factor in his blocking" 
"extremely valuable to this team and how it operates"
"it's the QB's fault he doesn't look his way"
"he's the same athlete as Mike Evans"

I just hope we aren't here in 2-3 years doing the same thing with Romeo Doubs, Samori Toure, Bo Melton, etc.  It's the QB and scheme that make these players.

lazard is probably better than what he showed this year.  But he is barely an NFL player and the packers were right to move on just as they were right to move on from MVS.  In fact, the only receiver Rodgers has played with who had any sustained success elsewhere is Davante Adams.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Lazard is a solid WR3 in the league, we just have one of the deepest WR groups in the league right now. He'd clearly be WR5 on this group, but that's a pointless discussion because he'd be way overpaid for that role nor would he want it.

He'd be perfect for a team like Minnesota, Jefferson and Addison as 1-2, Lazard doing the dirty work as #3, that's the type of role he's best at. With an actual QB in NY next year I would imagine he'll do just fine there as well as their #3. Hell he was perfect here when we had Adams. He just can't be the go-to guy in your system. 

First of all, they already have one of the best WR3s in the league...

WR3 is not an important position at all until WR1 or WR2 are hurt.  And in that case you don't want a guy who is "good as a WR3"

you want a guy who thinks he should be WR1 or WR2.

NFL teams that want lazard want him for his blocking - he's barely an NFL WR.

23 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Not sure how he was overrated? We had him for his league minimum rookie contract. Got a lot out of a guy on that sort of contract. We then allowed the Jets to overpay him and are getting, I believe, a 4th round comp pick. 

He was our 1-2 WR when he def wasn’t qualified. People wanted to resign him. He’s simply not a good WR 

• Like 1