Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

12 minutes ago, fattlipp said:

58 Career long is average, 75% kickers can make 60 yarders these days…

Accuracy was never the question while it's long it's not big compared to the big guys. I just noted he didn't have a huge leg. Record is 66 yards held by Tucker. That is nearly 14% further then MC's longest:). Don't really care folks not nagging on MC or any other Packer kicker, I just don't think his leg is big never did. Dam fine kicker though. 

Anders is MC 2.0 as far as I see from the stats. Distance is pretty similar that's including Anders college averages too.

Edited by PACKRULE

3 hours ago, jleisher said:

Let's not give up on Carlson.  His brother was the same way in Minnesota, they released him, and he turned into a Pro Bowler.  I think the same could happen here.  

Agreed but just like with Crosby bring him in some comp don't let him get to comfy. Pressure can make diamonds.

32 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

Well we're talking about leg strength so how else can you evaluate or what would the barometer be then as to whether a kicker has a big leg? PAT's and FG's don't. Mason was a great kicker for the Pack. I just don't rank him up there with a big leg. No biggie we can disagree on it. All good.

Lol long field goals. Kicking through wind.

People who know, who's experience isn't "I kicked in a field in a beer league"

I guess we can disagree I'll base my opinion off the guys and coaches and scouts who are in the league.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PACKRULE said:

Accuracy was never the question while it's long it's not big compared to the big guys. I just noted he didn't have a huge leg. Record is 66 yards held by Tucker. That is nearly 14% further then MC's longest:). Don't really care folks not nagging on MC or any other Packer kicker, I just don't think his leg is big never did. Dam fine kicker though. 

Anders is MC 2.0 as far as I see from the stats. Distance is pretty similar that's including Anders college averages too.

I think Mason once hit a 65 yarder before the half but the ****ing refs let the other team call a time out at the snap.

8 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

We do tend to obsess over misses by kickers. Doubs failing to haul in an endzone pass on the 1st drive of the game cost the Packers more points than Carlson's missed FG. 

All of Carlson's missed XP's for the entire year cost the Packers the equivalent of 1 missed TD opportunity. 

You know it’s not that simple, though. There are limited possessions in a game. No points but winning the field position battle can be a win for the punt unit. For offense and the kicker, getting close enough to score can mean different distances for different kickers, field conditions etc. but it absolutely affects the play calling. Also, creating a difference of 7 vs. 6 or 3 vs. 4 is a whole different ballgame especially late in the 4th. You can’t just add the 6 points from misses up and say that’s less than not scoring a TD, there is context to each miss. The one he missed in Dal, meaningless. The ones he missed in games where we had to play for a TD instead of a FG because we were down by 4 and had to chase that miss might have cost the game. I hope he comes back, crushes it and never looks back. He was subpar this year but he will get a chance to show he can be the guy. 

5 hours ago, Refugee said:

I hope he comes back, crushes it and never looks back. He was subpar this year but he will get a chance to show he can be the guy. 

This ^ - If only so I never hear again that the HC is praying every time he steps on the field. Huh????

12 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Lol long field goals. Kicking through wind.

People who know, who's experience isn't "I kicked in a field in a beer league"

I guess we can disagree I'll base my opinion off the guys and coaches and scouts who are in the league.

I once saw a dude in another forum tell everyone "kicking is easy, anyone could do it", and he wasn't being sarcastic.  I asked him why he wasn't in the NFL getting paid a million dollars+ per year to do such an easy job.  Of course he had no response to that.

17 hours ago, PACKRULE said:

wow ok please explain to me. Maybe use popups or crayon for me may be easier to get!

Would the game within the game that I'm not aware of not include at times for various reasons kicking the crap out of the ball and getting a TB? I mean there would have to be a reason to do that seeing other teams do it or did GB become the ST guru this year with a ton or rookie talent:). 

I'm quite certain Anders did get a few TB's this year ( 86 KO and 37 TB from what I could find ) but not many were deep or through the EZ from start of the year till completion of season. Further in the link below he's been pretty consistent since Auburn really so must have drafted him with short KO in mind. 

Having kicked before in my local park touch league ( and getting MVP honors ), also being an advocate for the release of Cosby I tried to pay close attention to Anders this year. I just don't see a bit leg looks like Football data base keeps the avg distance of kicks.

While AC may not be very far behind the better/bigger legs in the NFL a few yards further into the EZ is huge in regards to TB. It would seem in regards to TB he is well behind the league leaders in that category.

But again my thoughts are without knowing as to whether RB tells him to kick it short on almost every KO to pin them deep.  Even with the new rules I find that hard to believe we do that every KO. But that's more of the game within the game that you're going to have to explain to me.  

Anders Carlson Stats | Green Bay Packers | The Football Database (footballdb.com)

Honestly, I'm unsure if a pop up book or crayons would work for you in regards to having you understand special teams philosophies.

It isn't that you are dumb.  You are not, don't think I'm saying that.

Your mind is made up, so you will clearly deflect anything that doesn't go along with what you think.

It's okay, again it comes back to you not understanding our special team philosophies.  

If you want to really dive into it and see what it tells you, go look at kickoffs in the nfl.  Time how long the ball takes from the kick to being deep in the end zone.  Any team.

Then time out kicks.  If ours take longer to get to the 0 or 2 yard line, you will see that the philosophy is to pop it up and give our guys time to get down there for a tackle (or even a penalty).  If it does not take longer than those shallow, long kicks, then yeah, Anders has a leg issue.

You can probably even try to chart the trajectory of the ball before it goes off the screen.  Flatter angle?  Philosophy is to have them start at the 25.  Higher trajectory?  Philosophy is to rally and tackle to get them behind the 25.

I doesn't matter what you want from the special teams, you are looking here to see what RB wants from the special teams.  I hate it when we pop it up and try to get the tackle.  I despise it.  And it's because our specials coverage unit has let us down for YEARS.  I hate it when we bring it out of the end zone, because we do block in the back and set our offense back plenty of times.  But my hatred of the philosophy doesn't mean that it isn't our philosophy.  It is just one that I do not agree with.  Oh well.

• Like 1

I believe Bisaccia has even said before that the intent of kicking short is that if a fumble happens on the kick return, it can mean nearly automatic points for the offense. I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze because of how low percentage that result would be, but Rich obviously has a more aggressive mindset. Maybe it's good to plant that seed in the players' minds, but it almost never happens. Is it worth it? 

17 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

I finally realized the way to describe the receiving core. Piranhas. They are a pack of piranhas. All of them bite everything they see and once one does, it’s not their second bite you need to be afraid of most, it’s surviving everyone else’s first.

I like it.

One thing.  There needs to be a skinny, cross eyed piranha that swims funny.  That's Watson.  He's not eating as much as the others because he misses the prey and swims funny, cuz of the bad hammies. 

17 hours ago, PACKRULE said:

At Colorado a mile high he did but I never really thought he was one of the bigger legs. If i recall a few years back we had a KO guy if you recall for a short period. Mind you Mas got older. I think he had a decent leg on FG's and did get his game together to be very accurate in cold weather. But a huge leg........nope overrated leg cause of thin air haha. Just my thoughts great kicker though loved him. 

I used to cringe when Mason would run onto the field for a last second kick that would either win or lose the game for us.  Never really got over that.  He was quite good, but I just never felt like it was automatic.  And that's on me, because he was quite good in the clutch.

How long was that one that beat the Cowboys after Rodgers went to Jared?  51?  No time out, had to run out there and kick it?  That was clutch.  

Overall, I'd agree with you, though, I feel like Mason never had that huge leg.  It was quality, it just wasn't top tier strong.

Also, I feel like the NFL has changed and a lot more kickers are making 50 yarders with relative ease now.  Like 55 is the new 50.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Barry is the NoFlyZone of coaches.

Barry came to GB to do two things.  Play great defense and chew bubblegum.  But he quickly ran out of great defense.  That man could always chew himself some good gum, though.  

• Like 1