Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'm outraged we cut a 30 year old running back 

29, but yeah.  The thing is he made the offense much more dynamic so he won’t be easily replaced. Hopefully JJ and a new rook are up to it and then some. I’m just mad we kept kicking the can down the road to where we had to pay 17.5mi, or cut him and eat 12. He could have been a Packer lifer if done correctly. It is a young man’s game and even more so at RB. I wish him luck and hope he doesn’t wear purple. 

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

more or less outraged than when GB signed Jones to his 2nd contract??

You've got me in a box here, I feel like you've beaten my sarcasm. 

Is this the part where I say how I was right about that 2nd contract?

• Like 2

Packers fans (not here, but at large) wanted Rodgers to be extended and stay in GB the last time he was given a contract. The other moves we made to strap our cap and kick the can down the road were made in service to that. Now they don’t like that we’re reaping the fruit of that. Again, not really talking about here, where discussion tends to be more nuanced. 

It just drives me nuts that Gute & Co. did exactly what most fans would have said they wanted to keep this team together and run it back, and now don’t realize that there are consequences to doing that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Refugee said:

29, but yeah.  The thing is he made the offense much more dynamic so he won’t be easily replaced. Hopefully JJ and a new rook are up to it and then some. I’m just mad we kept kicking the can down the road to where we had to pay 17.5mi, or cut him and eat 12. He could have been a Packer lifer if done correctly. It is a young man’s game and even more so at RB. I wish him luck and hope he doesn’t wear purple. 

He'll be 30 in the playoffs next year. 

As far as Jones being this unstoppable dynamic force . . . he had 3 TDs last year and 10 total the last two years combined. Let's keep it in perspective. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Isherwood said:

Packers fans (not here, but at large) wanted Rodgers to be extended and stay in GB the last time he was given a contract. The other moves we made to strap our cap and kick the can down the road were made in service to that. Now they don’t like that we’re reaping the fruit of that. Again, not really talking about here, where discussion tends to be more nuanced. 

It just drives me nuts that Gute & Co. did exactly what most fans would have said they wanted to keep this team together and run it back, and now don’t realize that there are consequences to doing that. 

Signing Bakh, who was all world LT and AR’s best buddy was a huge step in the let’s run it back timeline. When AR couldn’t get it done without time to improv and instead just taking what was on the table, the vision changed. I don’t fault Gute and LeFluer for going mostly all in with their HOFer at QB.  Hindsight, we get that deal Seattle got for Russ and then some.

Still, I’m pretty impressed with how well they got out of the bad contracts and have turned it around. Now I am a bit upset we are eating another 45+ million this year. We are still in good shape thanks to some quality drafting, oh yeah and an ascending QB. 

• Like 2

Jacobs had a pretty terrible year on a pretty terrible team and he also missed significant time to injury, just like Jones.

He is younger though, so he has that going for him.  Prior to his breakout year he was kind of a middling back, who didn't do much at all in the passing game until his 3rd year.  It's nice to see that side of his game expanded he was pretty good in college catching the ball.  I'm not sure Jacobs is much of an outside zone guy like Jones, so they must be looking/exploring options on the roster or in the draft to do that job.

Jones wasn't even really "expensive" per se.  He cost the same to the packers as signing devin singletary (which was a bad move, but still).

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

He'll be 30 in the playoffs next year. 

As far as Jones being this unstoppable dynamic force . . . he had 3 TDs last year and 10 total the last two years combined. Let's keep it in perspective. 

The offense as a whole was much more dynamic with 33 in there. Watch that interview with Love on Parson’s show where Micah couldn’t believe how 33 was everywhere. Jones was a madman that day throwing his body in the line of fire on blitzes he wasn’t even designed to pickup. I’m good with letting him go, and it’s not fair just to judge him for his games he played the Cowboys which was all pro level.  I’m just saying he’ll be missed on and off the field. I do believe we find the right guys to replace him but that’s TBD until we see it. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Refugee said:

The offense as a whole was much more dynamic with 33 in there. Watch that interview with Love on Parson’s show where Micah couldn’t believe how 33 was everywhere. Jones was a madman that day throwing his body in the line of fire on blitzes he wasn’t even designed to pickup. I’m good with letting him go, and it’s not fair just to judge him for his games he played the Cowboys which was all pro level.  I’m just saying he’ll be missed on and off the field. I do believe we find the right guys to replace him but that’s TBD until we see it. 

So well said. Thank you!

Fwiw, the situation is now a young, ascending QB with a potential 10 year contention window more years than not, rather than having a HoF QB on his last legs trying to get one more Lombardi out of him. Hence, the roster decisions are now gonna be made more relative to the longterm than the short-term, and thus better to face the risk of cutting a player like Jones one year too early than one year too late as the saying goes. It sucks, but I get the move.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure about another safety, but there probably is more money to be spent depending on how McKinney's deal is structured.

We have McKinney, AJ Jr and Sapp on the roster currently. I still think we need 2 more players at the position so for me that’s another free agent and a draft pick.

Now how good that free agent is depends on how high the Packers rate the safety draft class.

Edited by OzPackfan

Jones and his agent pushed too far.  The Packers just gave them a lesson in who has the leverage.  I’m guessing A Jones is a very unhappy man.  I don’t believe anyone will improve on whatever the Packers were offering.