Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Will be interesting to see Nixon's contract details, once they come out. 

• Vegas hopes that Nixon is just learning the position, and might improve a lot.   Maybe the 3rd year is $10, to be actually paid only if Vegas's unlikely hope plays out, and by then he's established as a capable guy? 
  • Having a back-ended contract might also factor in the uncertainty of the kick-return game?  *IF* the rules change, maybe Nixon has value there?  If the rules *don't* change, maybe then running endzone kicks out to the 20 makes him a liability?  

21 minutes ago, Leader said:

Ah jeez, no no no. What is Uglem’s logic? Why would you break it for an old man, who’s fairly slow now, who will command a decent paycheck? If that’s who he’s “breaking” his rules for, he doesn’t have very stringent standards 

• Like 2

You do need depth guys.  And there is value in "anti-awful".  Nixon obviously isn't excellent in coverage, but having somebody at least mediocre is better than being forced to play somebody awful.  (Safety play during the Jennings/McMillon era comes to mind...)

Edited by craig

2 minutes ago, craig said:

Will be interesting to see Nixon's contract details, once they come out. 

• Vegas hopes that Nixon is just learning the position, and might improve a lot.   Maybe the 3rd year is $10, to be actually paid only if Vegas's unlikely hope plays out, and by then he's established as a capable guy? 
  • Having a back-ended contract might also factor in the uncertainty of the kick-return game?  *IF* the rules change, maybe Nixon has value there?  If the rules *don't* change, maybe then running endzone kicks out to the 20 makes him a liability?  

Take a look at Nixon's career stats.  Last two years in GB.  In some ways, the stats say that he was better this year than last year.  In some ways, they look worse.  

I don't know that "He is what he is." right now.  It is kind of hard to figure out what he really is given the sample size.  But someone in the organization obviously sees something there.

And I do find it encouraging that he was able to diagnose a route combo, against the World champs, and secure a game winning INT.  And we know he is a threat on returns.  It is very debatable whether or not that there is value in that right now.

In other words, all you against this Nixon move need to put on those green and gold glasses.  Tis the season for optimism.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NixoKe00.htm

5 minutes ago, craig said:

You do need depth guys.  And there is value in "anti-awful".  Nixon obviously isn't excellent in coverage, but having somebody at least mediocre is better than being forced to play somebody awful.  (Safety play during the Jennings/McMillon era comes to mind...)

You're (unnecessarily) setting an awfully low bar while applying the "bird in hand" priniciple:
"Nixon's our less than awful option on hand...so lets go with him"

I like the guy. I dont like his coverage skills...so hopefully, when all is said and done...he wont be relied on to provide much (if any). Dime packages....injury replacement....works for me.

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Take a look at Nixon's career stats.  Last two years in GB.  In some ways, the stats say that he was better this year than last year.  In some ways, they look worse.  

I don't know that "He is what he is." right now.  It is kind of hard to figure out what he really is given the sample size.  But someone in the organization obviously sees something there.

And I do find it encouraging that he was able to diagnose a route combo, against the World champs, and secure a game winning INT.  And we know he is a threat on returns.  It is very debatable whether or not that there is value in that right now.

In other words, all you against this Nixon move need to put on those green and gold glasses.  Tis the season for optimism.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NixoKe00.htm

everyone is down playing kick return ability because most teams just default to touch back and 25 yrd line offensive starts, but we don't, teams can't just pooch it into the EZ expecting us to do that, if they let up even a tad on kick coverage Nixon has the ability to burn them, to me that ability gives us a added advantage in field position, often when we need that most late in close score games.

I think when the return ability is included with very likely higher ceiling at slot corner he'll earn his contract.

• Like 1

After a day to think about it, the Nixon contract has to be back loaded with "fake" money that will never be paid without a restructured deal.  It's the only way I can make sense of it.  He's simply not a 6M/YR player.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Is this under the premise that we tear up Allen’s deal and get him at a low number?  The whole advantage of having a young, talented and cheap group of pass catchers goes out the window if we were to bring him in.  Plus, he has a very real injury history. Good chance you’ll be paying him for some time on the sidelines. 

• Like 1

Just now, Refugee said:

Is this under the premise that we tear up Allen’s deal and get him at a low number?  The whole advantage of having a young, talented and cheap group of pass catchers goes out the window if we were to bring him in.  Plus, he has a very real injury history. Good chance you’ll be paying him for some time on the sidelines. 

Other than Uglem's praise of Allen and how he'd help our roster (which I agree with) - I've no clue. Without delving into the numbers, I knew that his $$$ cost probably was prohibitive given our current cap situation...hence, I personally dont see the fit...plus his injury history is problematic. 

Just off season chatter.

34 minutes ago, turf toe said:

everyone is down playing kick return ability because most teams just default to touch back and 25 yrd line offensive starts, but we don't, teams can't just pooch it into the EZ expecting us to do that, if they let up even a tad on kick coverage Nixon has the ability to burn them, to me that ability gives us a added advantage in field position, often when we need that most late in close score games.

I think when the return ability is included with very likely higher ceiling at slot corner he'll earn his contract.

I agree.

But...I'll expand....I hope that he has to earn that slot corner role.  I hope we draft a DB or two early and let them all compete for that spot.  May the best man win.

In the end, if Nixon is beaten out and that deal is for CB4-CB5 and KR?  I'm still fine with it as we know injuries will happen.

47 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I agree.

But...I'll expand....I hope that he has to earn that slot corner role.  I hope we draft a DB or two early and let them all compete for that spot.  May the best man win.

In the end, if Nixon is beaten out and that deal is for CB4-CB5 and KR?  I'm still fine with it as we know injuries will happen.

To add to this, this also eliminates the pressure to take an early slot corner, in case the draft does not fall the way we want it to. 

It would be nice to add an early pick to this CB room, but it's hardly a necessity now. Which is what I like about how Gute handles FA.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sandy said:

To add to this, this also eliminates the pressure to take an early slot corner, in case the draft does not fall the way we want it to. 

It would be nice to add an early pick to this CB room, but it's hardly a necessity now. Which is what I like about how Gute handles FA.

I think you hit it pretty square there.  With both Nixon and Ballentine returning, CB is now more of a want than a need.  

• Like 1

We do fall in love with our fringe players sometime.  I don't even know what DuBose can be, and Heath is the first one to the bench when Watson is available.  With these guys being so young sometimes you don't know what you'll get from year to year.  Are they going to put the work in this offseason to elevate their games?  It's doubtful that they all improve their game.  I don't think we have a real need at WR, but I'll let Gute make that call.  

Sure he might be our 6th-best receiver, but IMO Heath has already proven he's in a different category than the Charles Johnsons and Malachi Dupres of the world.

The Allen conversation is dumb anyway because as good as he is, there are teams who need a guy like that way more than we do. Just off the top of my head, there's ARI, NE, IND, JAX, CHI, KC, NYG, CAR, and probably some others.

• Like 1