Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

10 minutes ago, R T said:

This is basically it. The 90-man will probably have 8 players on it this TC, maybe 9. With the signing of Welch yesterday that makes 4, could easily see 2 mid to late round picks and a couple of UDFA's to round that room out. Wouldn't be surprising to see a Wilson type FA added yet either though. 

Still nothing to be gripping about like some seem to be doing.  

We really aren't happy, unless we are unhappy about something.  Or multiple somethings.

Here's my overall view.  We have a ton of picks, we have plenty of cap space and we have gone away from void years and backoading deals.  I'm digging where we are at.

We got the one FA target that made the most sense in McKinley.  That is just a huge off-season win at the position that most desperately needed it.

Now?  We wait.  Then we draft.  Vets are always released after the draft.  Then it's time to go shopping again.  Only it will be at a much lesser cost.

Our roster, right now, has but one clear hole in it.  The other safety.  And I'm not saying that won't be AJJ, because I do like him.  But that is the clear "need".  And this is a very odd position to be in.  Because of this position and our cap health, we can really look at BPA in the draft and how it helps the roster.  

Couldn't really be happier concerning the state of our team right now.  Except for that horrible kicker who can only kick it to the 2 yard line.  :)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

We really aren't happy, unless we are unhappy about something.  Or multiple somethings.

Here's my overall view.  We have a ton of picks, we have plenty of cap space and we have gone away from void years and backoading deals.  I'm digging where we are at.

We got the one FA target that made the most sense in McKinley.  That is just a huge off-season win at the position that most desperately needed it.

Now?  We wait.  Then we draft.  Vets are always released after the draft.  Then it's time to go shopping again.  Only it will be at a much lesser cost.

Our roster, right now, has but one clear hole in it.  The other safety.  And I'm not saying that won't be AJJ, because I do like him.  But that is the clear "need".  And this is a very odd position to be in.  Because of this position and our cap health, we can really look at BPA in the draft and how it helps the roster.  

Couldn't really be happier concerning the state of our team right now.  Except for that horrible kicker who can only kick it to the 2 yard line.  :)

I'd add (to the 'clear hole' proposal), that we must get a starter-level ILB.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I'd add (to the 'clear hole' proposal), that we must get a starter-level ILB.

I'm fine with McDuffie as the starter.  I'd love to get better than him via draft or FA, but it's not the clear hole that other perceive.  

But I won't fight anyone on that player and that hole either.  

I'd be fine with McDuffie as the 3rd ILB in a true 4-3 (although it will probably be a 4-2-5 most of the time). I'd just like an upgrade as the no.2. McDuffie isn't tall or sporting a chunky build, but he's best as a Mike

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

Just now, OneTwoSixFive said:

I'd be fine with McDuffie as the 3rd ILB in a true 4-3 (although it will probably be a 4-2-5 most of the time). I'd just like an upgrade as the no.2.

Duff played some pretty good ball last season when pressed in to action. They still kept him in when Campbell got healthier but was disgruntled.  He’s not a guy that jumps off the screen but he is physical, gets to his spots fast enough and is one of the only players who has played under Hafley. There will be a talent infusion there and everyone will have to compete if they want snaps but McDuffie has the inside track from what I can see.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I'll take Isaiah Simmons because he's not going to be expensive and he's a freak athlete. 

I'm no scout and don't know anything, so this is probably dumb.  But part of me is leery of bringing in guys like Simmons (or drafting Cooper).  I may be way wrong. 

But if a guy seem to be freak athletes but has been discarded by two organizations, they must have seen something.  Is it desire and focus and motivation?  Is it football smarts, to be able to recognize and play fast?  I don't know.  But I kinda feel like it's good to have a standard culture of football brains; of motivation; and of focus/desire in every position group.  Having one slow-processing guy on the field who is making decision mistakes, that can really hurt a defense.  And having one slow-processing guy in a position group can hurt practices and teaching, too? 

Edgerrin Cooper seems like a talented guy, and I don't know much/anything about his off-field personality.  But I've kinda gotten the vibe that he's maybe entitled and arrogant?  I'd be really guarded about adding personalities like that.  (I realize I may be way off, who knows?  But for sure I'd think about that stuff *IF* I was Gute.). 

Obviously reputations can get incorrectly misunderstood or smeared.  Doubs is a very quiet guy, but the Packers had done their research enough to NOT let themselves get turned off.  So sometimes you can get steals by researching and understanding personalities that are variably unique.  

18 hours ago, persiandud said:

if Devin White is cheap I'd bring him in 

Isaiah Simmons is also interesting

Devin White would be a nightmare pairing with Quay. Keep in mind he also got benched LY in Tampa.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, craig said:

I'm no scout and don't know anything, so this is probably dumb.  But part of me is leery of bringing in guys like Simmons (or drafting Cooper).  I may be way wrong. 

But if a guy seem to be freak athletes but has been discarded by two organizations, they must have seen something.  Is it desire and focus and motivation?  Is it football smarts, to be able to recognize and play fast?  I don't know.  But I kinda feel like it's good to have a standard culture of football brains; of motivation; and of focus/desire in every position group.  Having one slow-processing guy on the field who is making decision mistakes, that can really hurt a defense.  And having one slow-processing guy in a position group can hurt practices and teaching, too? 

Edgerrin Cooper seems like a talented guy, and I don't know much/anything about his off-field personality.  But I've kinda gotten the vibe that he's maybe entitled and arrogant?  I'd be really guarded about adding personalities like that.  (I realize I may be way off, who knows?  But for sure I'd think about that stuff *IF* I was Gute.). 

Obviously reputations can get incorrectly misunderstood or smeared.  Doubs is a very quiet guy, but the Packers had done their research enough to NOT let themselves get turned off.  So sometimes you can get steals by researching and understanding personalities that are variably unique.  

I don't think Simmons has been discarded by the Giants. He was actually pretty functional there last year. I don't rule out him going back there next year. 

Otherwise, I get your point. 

16 minutes ago, craig said:

Obviously valid concerns.   Especially concerns over a guy that hasn't been "successful" at two different organizations.  Although to be fair, nobody has suggested throwing funny money at Simmons, but taking a flyer assuming the cost will be minor.    He does have the athletic profile and Clemson background that probably makes any defensive coach think they are the one that could fix him and unlock his talents

Two names off the top of my head that reportedly had terrible off-field personalities or a sense of entitlement or a questionable love of football (in the latter case) were Micah Parsons and Kayvon Thibodeaux.    Both have turned out to be phenomenal football players.    Certainly a lot of the DB's and WR's in the league are regarded as entitled and arrogant divas.      Maybe just as many fail to amount to anything though

Isaiah Simmons is also interesting

5 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I'll take Isaiah Simmons because he's not going to be expensive and he's a freak athlete. 

Isaiah Simmons is the player that fans think that their team will be the one to finally help him figure it out.  Unless Hafley thinks he can, I’d say there’s little chance of us signing him. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Refugee said:

Duff played some pretty good ball last season when pressed in to action. They still kept him in when Campbell got healthier but was disgruntled.  He’s not a guy that jumps off the screen but he is physical, gets to his spots fast enough and is one of the only players who has played under Hafley. There will be a talent infusion there and everyone will have to compete if they want snaps but McDuffie has the inside track from what I can see.

I don't think McDuffie was bad at all last season.  I also don't think Campbell was bad last season.  Campbell just wasn't worth the 14 million cap hit it would take to keep him.  

7 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Isaiah Simmons is the player that fans think that their team will be the one to finally help him figure it out.  Unless Hafley thinks he can, I’d say there’s little chance of us signing him. 

Dante Moch ran a 1.24 40 yard dash!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

it's not a major need, i agree

i just think with good coaching we could make Devin White or Isaiah Simmons better players. much like we did with Campbell when we signed him for 1 year 2m 

totally fine leaving it for the draft though 

I don't know as much about the Cardinals defensive staff last year, but the Bucs linebackers coaches don't really seem like slouches based on experience/results outside of White.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Worked for the Eagles and Haasan Reddick.      So I'm telling you there's a chance..........

31 minutes ago, Striker said:

I don't know as much about the Cardinals defensive staff last year, but the Bucs linebackers coaches don't really seem like slouches based on experience/results outside of White.

If Bowles can't get through to him, I doubt anyone can.

That being said, I'll take the shot at seeing if Hafley can...but the price has to be very right and low risk.

So I'd imagine my view on him is very similar to every other team on him.