Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

58 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

My understanding is that GB assigns the slots ahead of the schedule being set.  Then when the league sets the official schedule, we see which package gets which games.  How much more transparent could they be?

When the schedule was made by hand there were guidelines that were clearly followed for our schedule. The gold package was never to be given the Bears game. I've been going to games since I was 5 in 1995 and 2012 was the only season in that time frame the gold package got the Bears. Also gold package was not supposed to get night games (as you saw what happens when they do last year on TNF vs Det). 

Now that the schedule is made by computer algorithms, I think the NFL has told GB, tough ****, you'll get what you get and your fans will be fine. Every year the gold package gets home games #2 and #5, and we alternate with green package who gets the 9th home game, so every 4 years that is ours. This year just crazy lucky to get all 3 divisional opponents.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

Things I haven't read about because I haven't been paying attention post draft that I think someone may want to discuss.

Are we going to keep 3 QBs if Pratt is good? I don't want to. But what other choice will we have?

Is AJ Dillon the new move piece on a one year trial?

Why haven't we got an actual 3rd TE yet?

If we keep a 3rd quarterback, I'd prefer a vet. I don't know why people are so enamored with Clifford. If Pratt is good, we don't need Clifford. 

It's a one-year contract, so it looks like a one-year trial. 

Seems like they are rolling with Sims. ESPN has Tyler Davis on our roster. I thought he was a free agent, but over the cap has him signed for 2024. I think we'd be OK with that group. 

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

My understanding is that GB assigns the slots ahead of the schedule being set.  Then when the league sets the official schedule, we see which package gets which games.  How much more transparent could they be?

So by your understanding, they have the games drawn from a hat like 2nd,3rd, 7th home game? What about preseason? That is something I have never heard that but complete randomization would be the best way to take the human element out of it. Still seems like they could just rotate some of the divisional and prime time games and keep them as spread out season to season as possible. Make sure the gold package gets at least one of the “high value” games, one of the “regular value” games and pick the 3rd at random. 

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

When the schedule was made by hand there were guidelines that were clearly followed for our schedule. The gold package was never to be given the Bears game. I've been going to games since I was 5 in 1995 and 2012 was the only season in that time frame the gold package got the Bears. Also gold package was not supposed to get night games (as you saw what happens when they do last year on TNF vs Det). 

Now that the schedule is made by computer algorithms, I think the NFL has told GB, tough ****, you'll get what you get and your fans will be fine. Every year the gold package gets home games #2 and #5, and we alternate with green package who gets the 9th home game, so every 4 years that is ours. This year just crazy lucky to get all 3 divisional opponents.

I missed this before responding. That makes sense then, but yeah I still think adding a human element to picking the games would make some more common sense decisions. There would still be some people that would complain, but what else is new? GB can’t depend on the NFL to try to balance a league schedule and worry about the Packers’  unique season ticket situation. One thing’s for sure, TNF is dumb but definitely should not expect fans from Milwaukee to go to a Thursday night game in GB.  

7 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I missed this before responding. That makes sense then, but yeah I still think adding a human element to picking the games would make some more common sense decisions. There would still be some people that would complain, but what else is new? GB can’t depend on the NFL to try to balance a league schedule and worry about the Packers’  unique season ticket situation. One thing’s for sure, TNF is dumb but definitely should not expect fans from Milwaukee to go to a Thursday night game in GB.  

What's the general complaint(s) about the MKE crowd? They dont cheer enough? They're more prone to sell their tickets? It seems to me this years NFCN / MKE connection is purely random. Do people feel the GB FO should intervene and switch a game or two? Can they actually do that?

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Leader said:

What's the general complaint(s) about the MKE crowd? They dont cheer enough? They're more prone to sell their tickets? It seems to me this years NFCN / MKE connection is purely random. Do people feel the GB FO should intervene and switch a game or two? Can they actually do that?

There will always be some intrastate grumbling SE vs up Nort but the main gripe in recent years is that Milwaukee based fans are more likely to sell their tickets and opposing fans likely to buy. The truth is all stripes of season ticket holders use them to cash in but especially for a night game it does hold true even fans who would want to go to the game don’t want the extra hassle and then go to work the next day. 

I think the FO can do whatever they want, it’s their system. It would make the most sense to announce any changes to the system before the schedules are hammered out. 

Edited by Refugee

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The Milwaukee fans should only get noon and 3:30 games. 

Nothing else makes sense logistically. 

I've been a gold package holder since 1993. That's the way it was at one time. But it's been a long time since the benefit of season ticket holders mattered to the NFL owners.

1 minute ago, Brat&Beer said:

I've been a gold package holder since 1993. That's the way it was at one time. But it's been a long time since the benefit of season ticket holders mattered to the NFL owners.

As an owner, I appreciate your money that I use to light my cigars.  

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

If we keep a 3rd quarterback, I'd prefer a vet. I don't know why people are so enamored with Clifford. If Pratt is good, we don't need Clifford. 

It's a one-year contract, so it looks like a one-year trial. 

Seems like they are rolling with Sims. ESPN has Tyler Davis on our roster. I thought he was a free agent, but over the cap has him signed for 2024. I think we'd be OK with that group. 

Pretty tough to fatten up cows for the slaughter if you release them into the woods.

The FO keeps saying they want to develop these guys and have a pipeline of them going through the system. I think they'll be more inclined to keep them.  Absolutely wouldn't be shocked if one goes down to the PS either though.. but with the way injuries at the QB go, protecting them with a healthy scratch spot doesn't sound too expensive.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The Milwaukee fans should only get noon and 3:30 games. 

Nothing else makes sense logistically. 

Why? I’m genuinely asking since I’m not from the US and I guess there’s stuff I’m missing. Why is Milwaukee different from any other city with an NFL team? Say Chicago or Boston, they get late games and MNF/TNF too. 

EDIT or is this more about people from GB going to Milwaukee and then needing to do a long drive back home after a late game?

Edited by Packer_ESP

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

Pretty tough to fatten up cows for the slaughter if you release them into the woods.

The FO keeps saying they want to develop these guys and have a pipeline of them going through the system. I think they'll be more inclined to keep them.  Absolutely wouldn't be shocked if one goes down to the PS either though.. but with the way injuries at the QB go, protecting them with a healthy scratch spot doesn't sound too expensive.

I'm coming from a point that Clifford does not have a ton of upside as an NFL quarterback. 

25 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

Why? I’m genuinely asking since I’m not from the US and I guess there’s stuff I’m missing. Why is Milwaukee different from any other city with an NFL team? Say Chicago or Boston, they get late games and MNF/TNF too. 

EDIT or is this more about people from GB going to Milwaukee and then needing to do a long drive back home after a late game?

Yes, the Packers had to play a few games a year in Milwaukee (Brewers baseball County Stadium) during the dark ages. They played their last game there in 1994 where Favre beat his former team the Falcons. Since moving everything back to Lambeau, which was the correct move, the Gold package fans from Milwaukee get two regular season and usually a preseason game. It is a 2 hour drive and more with game traffic and less sober drivers. The late games increase the issues. 

• Like 1