Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

5 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Too bad they couldn't host a world cup game. It's absolutely nuts the way fan bases show up for those games. You talk about an economic boost to the area. 

I was in Europe during the 2006 World Cup hosted by Germany. Insanity! Makes the Super Bowl look like a small-town parade. 

Absolutely! The effect outside money can have is much more impactful than when half the money is local or even regional!

I went through the early list of World Cup Home Camp locations, I definitely don’t love the odds that Lambeau will host a country as Base Camp but still think the cha cues are good. It’s an American Football facility where many of the other Base Camp options are already soccer facilities but it has the grass fields available and the facilities to host the volumes of fans, the Eastern Region that will draw games played in Toronto, Philadelphia, Boston, New York don’t have many Base Camps right now but I would expect more to be added.

https://inside.fifa.com/about-fifa/organisation/news/fifa-world-cup-26-shares-teams-homes-away-from-home-host-nations

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, TheGreatZepp said:

Absolutely! The effect outside money can have is much more impactful than when half the money is local or even regional!

I went through the early list of World Cup Home Camp locations, I definitely don’t love the odds that Lambeau will host a country as Base Camp but still think the cha cues are good. It’s an American Football facility where many of the other Base Camp options are already soccer facilities but it has the grass fields available and the facilities to host the volumes of fans, the Eastern Region that will draw games played in Toronto, Philadelphia, Boston, New York don’t have many Base Camps right now but I would expect more to be added.

https://inside.fifa.com/about-fifa/organisation/news/fifa-world-cup-26-shares-teams-homes-away-from-home-host-nations

The more I think about the idea of Lambeau hosting a world cup game, the less likely it becomes. We'd have to put in a different turf I would guess. The grass at Lambeau would we way to slow for an official game to be played there. 

The base camp thing could happen though. They expanded the field to 48 teams in 2026. That is up from 32 prior. 

Edited by Old Guy

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

The more I think about the idea of Lambeau hosting a world cup game, the less likely it becomes. We'd have to put in a different turf I would guess. The grass at Lambeau would we way to slow for an official game to be played there. 

They are, FWIW, playing World Cup games in NFL stadia that have artificial turf (like Mercedes Benz stadium in Atlanta, which is indoors).  Presumably they will be temporarily putting a grass surface on top of the field.

4 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

They are, FWIW, playing World Cup games in NFL stadia that have artificial turf (like Mercedes Benz stadium in Atlanta, which is indoors).  Presumably they will be temporarily putting a grass surface on top of the field.

I am aware of that, and they are required to put natural grass in. The soccer players will not play on turf from what I read. My point is the grass at Lambeau is blue grass I do believe. The soccer field grasses are more like a bent or Bermuda grass. Something that can be mowed very short and will play very fast. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Josh Jacobs strikes me as a rather excitable fellow

Whenever we go out
The people always shout
There goes
Josh Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt

(sorry, but someone said it and now I can't get it out of my head)

Edited by Arthur Penske

One week until rookies report, and we can overanalyze every single, nugget coming out of camp. 

I love football season! It's my favorite of the four seasons for sure! 

Edited by Old Guy

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

One week until rookies report, and we can overanalyze every single, nugget coming out of camp. 

I love football season! It's my favorite of the four seasons for sure! 

There are no other seasons. There's just football season and The Dark Times

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

There are no other seasons. There's just football season and The Dark Times

The other three seasons are:

Who cares?

Jimmy cracked corn!

**** this one too! 

9 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Was trying to figure out what rooks I didn't recognize before I started reading. They really just said copy paste 

Have you seen the all white, totally not New York Jets, Packer uniforms?

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Have you seen the all white, totally not New York Jets, Packer uniforms?

Awful shade of green on those ones.

That's the problem with all whites/blacks. They all look the same. The best jerseys are all unique interesting colors. Kelly greens. Powder blues. Orange creamsicle.

I think the Packers all greens were their best unicolor outfit.

6 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Awful shade of green on those ones.

That's the problem with all whites/blacks. They all look the same. The best jerseys are all unique interesting colors. Kelly greens. Powder blues. Orange creamsicle.

I think the Packers all greens were their best unicolor outfit.

I liked it too.  If we can't wear green in the Brazil game, they should have a one time gold uniform.  Give each team their home, away, and an alternate.  Also give them an international alternate.  I'm not asking the NFL to become the Oregon Ducks.  Just do it once.  You can also see a bump in profit as goofs like us all run to buy the new color stuff.

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I liked it too.  If we can't wear green in the Brazil game, they should have a one time gold uniform.  Give each team their home, away, and an alternate.  Also give them an international alternate.  I'm not asking the NFL to become the Oregon Ducks.  Just do it once.  You can also see a bump in profit as goofs like us all run to buy the new color stuff.

Isn't it something like 3 but you can only change the third every few years? I think the green with yellow numbers throwback is still our third jersey this year, even if they don't use it, then next year they can pick a new third jersey.