Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

On 7/9/2024 at 8:11 AM, Arthur Penske said:

Whenever we go out
The people always shout
There goes
Josh Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt

(sorry, but someone said it and now I can't get it out of my head)

Great now this will never leave my head

• Like 2

On 7/9/2024 at 9:11 AM, Arthur Penske said:

Whenever we go out
The people always shout
There goes
Josh Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt

(sorry, but someone said it and now I can't get it out of my head)

Nice editing by who created this 😂

Edited by Eternal

1 hour ago, Leader said:

I agree with this. It is interesting to see how many WR's after Davante have gotten ridiculously large deals. Miami has Hill and Waddle under big contracts and let Christian Wilkins leave in free agency. 

I get a kick out of bad organizations. Can't wait for Tua's contract of 60 a year. 

Miami is not the only team to overpay at the WR position. 

Edited by Old Guy

5 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I agree with this. It is interesting to see how many WR's after Davante have gotten ridiculously large deals. Miami has Hill and Waddle under big contracts and let Christian Wilkins leave in free agency. 

I get a kick out of bad organizations. Can't wait for Tua's contract of 60 a year. 

Miami is not the only team to overpay at the WR position. 

We will have to pay some pretty serious coin to keep even two of our guys in the future. With some foresight and luck maybe we get something for the guys that walk and have young replacements waiting in the wing, keeping only the best fit. Good news is we’re not really going  to have to start worrying about that til next and especially the ‘26 season. Play the game right, Gute. 

I do wonder if something will happen with WR contracts that happened to RBs a few years ago. Certainly not as significant, but I don't see how you can pay someone who isn't QB the coin Jefferson etc are getting (or more). Especially if you have to pay a good QB.

I imagine gutey will pay 1 or two of his in the next few years depending on price then let the rest walk and try and draft their replacements. 

59 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I imagine gutey will pay 1 or two of his in the next few years depending on price then let the rest walk and try and draft their replacements.

As receivers money goes through the roof, that is increasingly looking like the play. The Packers have done very well with WRs using modest draft capital, in the last couple of years. Do they have a better handle on who to get than other teams, or were they just very lucky ?  If the next WR taken also turns out well, it looks more and more like they scout that group better than most.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

As receivers money goes through the roof, that is increasingly looking like the play. The Packers have done very well with WRs using modest draft capital, in the last couple of years. Do they have a better handle on who to get than other teams, or were they just very lucky ?  If the next WR taken also turns out well, it looks more and more like they scout that group better than most.

I think you could say the same regarding how we scout offensive linemen as well. Our biggest disappointments on the offensive line tend to be when we use a FRP on them. Hoping Morgan turns that trend around. 

20 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

I do wonder if something will happen with WR contracts that happened to RBs a few years ago. Certainly not as significant, but I don't see how you can pay someone who isn't QB the coin Jefferson etc are getting (or more). Especially if you have to pay a good QB.

Choosing which 2nd tier (1st tier = QB) positions to invest in has always been a big part of team building strategy.  The only thing new is WR contracts moving into that 2nd tier. The majority of NFL offenses revolve around the passing game.  WR production doesn't have the history of falling off after the 1st contract the way RB's do. I wouldn't expect a significant correction coming for WR contracts.  Even with the recent surge in production from young WR's across the league, getting quick production from a young WR is far from a safe bet.

The belief I think within NFL franchises that if the QB you have isn't likely to make a jump into that "elite" tier of QBs, but is still in the next one, giving him an "elite" WR will allow him to play at the level of one of the "elite" QBs from time to time.

I have no idea if this is accurate, but it appears to be the prevailing wisdom.  After all, it's expensive, risky, and difficult to swap out your QB for a better one.  So if what you have is Tua, and you're committed to not resetting, why not surround him with weapons?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The belief I think within NFL franchises that if the QB you have isn't likely to make a jump into that "elite" tier of QBs, but is still in the next one, giving him an "elite" WR will allow him to play at the level of one of the "elite" QBs from time to time.

I have no idea if this is accurate, but it appears to be the prevailing wisdom.  After all, it's expensive, risky, and difficult to swap out your QB for a better one.  So if what you have is Tua, and you're committed to not resetting, why not surround him with weapons?

I think there are three levels here.

There are teams that actually have a franchise QB. There are about 10 probably 8 of them in the league. 

Teams who twist themselves into a pretzel to convince themselves they have one (Tua, Goff, Watson, Murray) come immediately to mind in this category.

Then there are the teams that will **** up the quarterback position no matter what. The Bears have been the leader of this pack for almost 40 years. There are others. 

That middle tier QB is a rough spot.  Good enough to win games and keep a team from.picking high enough for a shot at a QB but limited in top level play.  The choice to not pay that middle QB is a challenge.   If finding  upper tier QB were easy, you wouldn't see teams overpaying the middle tier ones.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's long been the case that a mediocre QB is a false economy.  The question is whether there's an intermediate category between that and "legitimately- he's the guy" and what you do when you find yourself in that situation.

There's also the issue that you can always talk yourself into your own players being better than they are, and sometimes you're even right since guys will go off and play better somewhere else than they did for you.