Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I remember this like it was a little over 4 decades ago! 

I actually do remember the comeback, but more than anything I remember how inept the Packers were in the first half. I had high hopes for that team. I think they were around .500 which was good for those days. 

I was very young in the 80s.  What I really remember was watching the first half of the Packers game, then going outside and playing "football" in the yard.  You know, throw the ball in the air and make a diving catch, run and get "tackled" and do a summersault.  Eventually score a TD and do a big spike.  I knew that they were bad, but I don't remember seeing them actually lose many games. 

ahhh... to be in my 20s again.  🤣

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I was very young in the 80s.  What I really remember was watching the first half of the Packers game, then going outside and playing "football" in the yard.  You know, throw the ball in the air and make a diving catch, run and get "tackled" and do a summersault.  Eventually score a TD and do a big spike.  I knew that they were bad, but I don't remember seeing them actually lose many games. 

We used to get the neighborhood kids together and play tackle football.  ahhh to be a teenager.  Got my bell rung more than once.  Wind knocked out more than once.  Good times. 

Edited by Scoremore

1 hour ago, Scoremore said:

We used to get the neighborhood kids together and play tackle football.  ahhh to be a teenager.  Got my bell rung more than once.  Wind knocked out more than once.  Good times. 

It was always 2 hand touch, except when we played smear the queer, but nobody ever got running fast enough to hurt anyone playing that.  Except on snow days.  Then it was like NFL Blitz.  Cross bodies, wrestling moves, clotheslines, LOL.

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

It was always 2 hand touch, except when we played smear the queer, but nobody ever got running fast enough to hurt anyone playing that.  Except on snow days.  Then it was like NFL Blitz.  Cross bodies, wrestling moves, clotheslines, LOL.

Wow! Bringing back fond memories. Smear the queer! Absolutely! Hardest hit I ever took was playing tackle in a church yard ! Coming over the middle and got absolutely laid out. Sadly I didn't hold on to the ball! Walked home in a fog! Fun!

9 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Please don't ever hurt your funny bone at Arrowhead. We as a board can't risk the Chiefs doctors botching the surgery to repair it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

Please don't ever hurt your funny bone at Arrowhead. We as a board can't risk the Chiefs doctors botching the surgery to repair it. 

Did you know? Indianapolis is actually the closest team to St Louis.  When you look at a map, it seems like it should be Chicago or kansas City.  But it isn't.  Cincinnati and Nashville aren't too much further than Chicago either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Surprised/not surprised this one isn't in the filter.

Usually the Q in LGBTQ+ is used to stand for queer, but that's self-identified. More often I think of it in the terms of some southie telling a hipster he's a "fahkin' kweaaah"

Cocksucker isn't filtered either, at least it wasn't for a long time.  Queer is a synonym for weird, odd, or strange.  I don't know where the name "smear the queer" came from.  Perhaps in a more PC world, it would have been called "odd man out" or something.  But when we played it, nobody was concerned about anyone else's sexual orientation, or offending any alphabet people.  It was just a game, and it was fun.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Cocksucker isn't filtered either, at least it wasn't for a long time.  Queer is a synonym for weird, odd, or strange.  I don't know where the name "smear the queer" came from.  Perhaps in a more PC world, it would have been called "odd man out" or something.  But when we played it, nobody was concerned about anyone else's sexual orientation, or offending any alphabet people.  It was just a game, and it was fun.

Just musing, I wasn't calling anyone in particular out (well, maybe Webby) - I played that game using that name growing up, as well as used the racist version of "Eenie Meanie Money Moe"...grew up in the UP, we didn't even know what those words meant as kids. By HS some had learned what those words meant and taken them as a mission statement.

It's just odd that the Q word is a-ok, but a shortened version of the name Richard got edited on me the other day 

As long as I have sonsabitches I'm good.

Edited by Mr Bad Example

2 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Just musing, I wasn't calling anyone in particular out (well, maybe Webby) - I played that game using that name growing up, as well as used the racist version of "Eenie Meanie Money Moe"...grew up in the UP, we didn't even know what those words meant as kids. By HS some had learned what those words meant and taken them as a mission statement.

It's just odd that the Q word is a-ok, but a shortened version of the name Richard got edited on me the other day 

As long as I have sonsabitches I'm good.

Just don’t say sn@tch. My sensitive eyes can’t handle it. 

• Like 4