Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Packer . Com:

Every October, the Packers vs. Cancer campaign has been an initiative close to Mason Crosby’s heart for several reasons. 

Having a grandmother who died of breast cancer and a sister-in-law who’s still battling ovarian cancer, the Packers’ kicker and his wife, Molly have been active in promoting cancer awareness and research through their longtime association with the Vince Lombardi Cancer Foundation.

Then, earlier this summer, the disease again hit close to the Crosbys’ home.

Molly had been experiencing prolonged symptoms consistent with a sinus infection, with constant bouts of coughing and congestion through the summer. It led her to an appointment with her primary care physician, Dr. James Ebben, who also happens to be one of the Packers’ team doctors.

An X-ray was performed and showed a blurry spot in her lung. A CT scan later revealed the mass that was eventually diagnosed as a carcinoid endocrine tumor.

This particular type of tumor isn’t considered metastatic, or fast-growing abnormal cells capable of spreading to organs, but it was a strange development for an otherwise healthy 32-year-old mother of five who is a non-smoker.

Professionally, it was a challenging month for Mason as he faced tough competition from Sam Ficken for the kicking job. He proved to be more than capable of handling it, putting in a strong camp and preseason in spite of what Molly was dealing with.

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Been saying this for years...

I'm not a huge Blake fan, but how is this on him? That play was terrible for many reasons. It's not like he's personally responsible for every gap on the field. Lancaster went way too far upfield and Z tried to make the play inside and got sealed. If those two do their jobs the RB can't bounce it out and either meets Blake in the hole or gets run down by the pursuit.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

That you know nothing about run fills?

Apparently not because I've been watching Martinez get swallowed up by guards and making a majority of his tackles 5-7 yards downfield for years but I guess that's just him doing his job.

6 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Been saying this for years...

Also, I was so busy rolling my eyes at how bad the example was, that I forgot to make fun of the tweet itself. 

The flimsy run defense of the last two years has only one consistency?!?!?!

Kenny Clark, Dean Lowry, Tyler Lancaster, Mike Pettine, and Kyler Fackrell have all been around for the last two years. Am I missing something?

23 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Lancaster and Z let that play get more yards than it should have. 

The 3 defenders along the front from left to Clark all got single blocked and neutralized.  As someone noted above, Lancaster got upfield and was ridden outside.  Z Smith gets turned inside.  Bit of an inverted hole created by that action.