Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

On 11/15/2019 at 10:47 AM, Outpost31 said:

Man, I just got a new bench/workout thing that comes with a lat pulldown and that is the best thing ever.  Triceps pushdown is the best thing ever and I feel like I've just gotten into working out again. 

I don’t know why but tri pushdowns are my favorite 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I don’t know why but tri pushdowns are my favorite 

Yeah, man, WTF?  Somebody want to explain this for me?  I’ve done every other triceps workout I could find, but I haven’t felt it in my actual triceps anywhere near as much on the push down.  My triceps aren’t a problem area by any means, but this seems so much better than anything I’ve done before for them.

4 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, man, WTF?  Somebody want to explain this for me?  I’ve done every other triceps workout I could find, but I haven’t felt it in my actual triceps anywhere near as much on the push down.  My triceps aren’t a problem area by any means, but this seems so much better than anything I’ve done before for them.

The pushdowns work so well because it's on a cable stack and every bit of the movement is vs gravity, unlike the kickback (which I never do anymore).

I do them with a single arm, with no handle attachment. That gives me the best and most natural range of motion. 

• Like 1

Just now, Tetsujin said:

The pushdowns work so well because it's on a cable stack and every bit of the movement is vs gravity, unlike the kickback (which I never do anymore).

I do them with a single arm, with no handle attachment. That gives me the best and most natural range of motion. 

Is this the same for other muscle groups?  What I’ve got is a really cheap version and it’s not a cable stack, just a crude puppy system that attaches to the leg press/leg curl attachment.  My options with it are pretty limited.  Basically triceps push downs and lay pull downs.  

6 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

Can you post a pic?

It’s like this.  Would have to wait until I got home to get the exact model off Amazon.  You remove the preacher bench and put the pulley there and attach it to the end of the leg press part.  

Picture didn’t post 

cfbc496d19c8ad838409b5bbc30c20fb.jpg

Edited by Outpost31

4 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Any recommendations on some good protein powder? Budget is tight so I’ve been using the body fortress whey protein you can get at Walmart for like 17 bucks but idk I always feel so blah after it. All I mix is 1 scoop with 1 cup of milk and a banana.

I'm personally a fan of Muscle Milk. The ingredients are pretty quality as a whole as well. I mix it with oats, a banana, and almond milk in my blender. Sometimes I also add spinach for a serving of greens. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dtait93 said:

Any recommendations on some good protein powder? Budget is tight so I’ve been using the body fortress whey protein you can get at Walmart for like 17 bucks but idk I always feel so blah after it. All I mix is 1 scoop with 1 cup of milk and a banana.

I use Optimum Nutrition. It's like $45ish at Costco for an 80 servings bag. Amazon has it at $55ish for 74 servings. I've just had two flavors so far. The chocolate is good but nothing special. The vanilla is ok; it smells like cake batter and tastes like milk basically. I drink both with a scoop of creatine and 10ish ounces of unsweetened almond milk and eat a banana post workout.

Edited by kingseanjohn

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

I use Optimum Nutrition. It's like $45ish at Costco for an 80 servings bag. Amazon has it at $55ish for 74 servings. I've just had two flavors so far. The chocolate is good but nothing special. The vanilla is ok; it smells like cake batter and tastes like milk basically. I drink both with a scoop of creatine and 10ish ounces of unsweetened almond milk and eat a banana post workout.

I’ve always been an ON honk too.

Prolly better brands, but it’s cheap, readily available and tastes decent.

15 hours ago, dtait93 said:

https://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Protein-Chocolate/dp/B000QSNYGI

Not the cheapest option out there, $0.60 to $0.70 per serving in bulk (10 or 5 lbs) here from Amazon, so probably middle of the road in terms of price... but it is excellent. I get the chocolate, tastes good even w/ just water, mixes easy, close to as good a protein/cal ratio you'll find, and I don't feel any ill effects from it.