Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

• 2 weeks later...

What is everyone's opinion on squat stance? I've been working out fairly regularly now for 8 months, but I am now finally committing to a good Leg Day routine. Been squatting for a few weeks now and obviously it's weak, but I've been just doing some squat stances with no weight, and I find that a wide stance with toes out feels far more comfortable. Is a wider stance with feet outward cheating the rep, or is it just dependent on the person?

Edited by Danger

On 2/10/2020 at 6:28 PM, Danger said:

What is everyone's opinion on squat stance? I've been working out fairly regularly now for 8 months, but I am now finally committing to a good Leg Day routine. Been squatting for a few weeks now and obviously it's week, but I've been just doing some squat stances with no wait, and I find that a wide stance with toes out feels far more comfortable. Is a wider stance with feet outward cheating the rep, or is it just dependent on the person?

Generally you want your legs at shoulder width, but a slightly wider stance isn't going to hurt you. You're fine as long as your toes are pointed out and your knees follow your toes.

Edited by Elky
  • Like 1

@Danger

Squatting anything above parallel is cheating the rep.

Ideally knees travel over toes and hamstrings touch the calves.  Unless you are a powerlifter just going for massive numbers I would develop an Olympic style squat.  And Front Squat as well.

If you cannot squat like that then I recommend elevating the heels to help, as well as hammering Split Squat variations.

You have tight hip rotators which is why you feel more comfortable wide and toes out.  Nothing wrong with that as long as you get low enough.  I'd work on your piriformis though.

• Like 1

Speaking of squats I did some the other week and I noticed the tips of my knee caps were both in pain any time I used my legs to push my body up a couple days after working out. The pain has since passed, but I’m also noticing them crack a lot more when I stretch my legs out...I’m not sure if it’s always been like that or if I’m just paying attention to it more after this all started, but I wonder if I did something to hurt them when I did my squats 🤷🏻‍♂️....it’s the only thing I can point to that changed since I normally don’t do squats and had only recently started going to the gym 

On 2/13/2020 at 1:14 PM, Danger said:

I feel like my bench progress is far more strained/limited during this cut I'm in than basically everything else. Bench has been stagnant almost but everything else is progressing well.

Is it just me or is this normal?

What's your current bodyweight and bench weight?

Started the month at around 260 and now currently at 240. 20 pounds down, 50 to go for my goal.

Managed to do 2 mile in 17:58 on Friday; that's only 4 seconds from the army's 2 mile standard.

Deadlifted 3x1 405 lbs in the trap bar. Sounds wussy for trap bar, but that's the army's new PFT is going to be using for deads.

My current workout plan for the week:

Monday
Squat 1x20 @ 225 lbs
Squat 1x5 @ 350 lbs
Squat 3x1 @ 400 / 405 / 410 lbs - Heavy singles, adding 5 pounds per set

Pendlay Row 3x5 @ 155 lbs - Tricep Pushdown 3x10 @ 45 lbs (Superset)

2 mile run @ 6.7 MPH

Tuesday
3 mile run @ 6 MPH

Wednesday
Bench Press 1x20 @ 135 lbs
Bench Press 1x5 @ 175 lbs
Bench Press 3x1 @ 205 / 210 / 215 lbs

Overhead Press 3x5 @ 75 lbs - Bicep Curl 3x10 @ 25 lbs

2 mile run @ 6.8 MPH

Thursday
3 mile run @ 6.1 MPH

Friday
Deadlift 1x10 @ 250 lbs
Deadlift 1x5 @ 375 lbs
Deadlift 3x1 @ 410 / 415 / 420 lbs

2 mile run @ 6.9 MPH

Edited by Elky

2 hours ago, Elky said:

What's your current bodyweight and bench weight?

I'm skinny. 134 bodyweight. 145 max bench. I'm looking to slowly put on weight after I finish getting leaner (just once). Bulking and cutting just wasn't something I could stay consistent with at all.

I'm doing a calorie deficit for now until I am lean in the midsection figure it'll take about 3 more months, then I'll be at a 200 calorie surplus for the foreseeable future. I started at 130 last June, put on 10-13 lbs, and made solid improvement in the bench. but then in November I thought I was getting too flabby and didn't want to go through constant bulking/cutting cycles. Even if it's slower to do slow growth, it's the way I'd prefer.  

Edited by Danger

On 2/12/2020 at 10:52 PM, dtait93 said:

Speaking of squats I did some the other week and I noticed the tips of my knee caps were both in pain any time I used my legs to push my body up a couple days after working out. The pain has since passed, but I’m also noticing them crack a lot more when I stretch my legs out...I’m not sure if it’s always been like that or if I’m just paying attention to it more after this all started, but I wonder if I did something to hurt them when I did my squats 🤷🏻‍♂️....it’s the only thing I can point to that changed since I normally don’t do squats and had only recently started going to the gym 

How's your hydration and are you stretching/rolling out all facets of your upper leg after leg workouts?

On 2/17/2020 at 1:10 PM, Danger said:

I'm skinny. 134 bodyweight. 145 max bench. I'm looking to slowly put on weight after I finish getting leaner (just once). Bulking and cutting just wasn't something I could stay consistent with at all.

I'm doing a calorie deficit for now until I am lean in the midsection figure it'll take about 3 more months, then I'll be at a 200 calorie surplus for the foreseeable future. I started at 130 last June, put on 10-13 lbs, and made solid improvement in the bench. but then in November I thought I was getting too flabby and didn't want to go through constant bulking/cutting cycles. Even if it's slower to do slow growth, it's the way I'd prefer.  

If you are 134 lbs (not kilos) then you need to put on muscle.  You'll most likely get flabbier dropping more weight.

If anything change the type of foods you are eating.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

@Elky

You should use that strength that you have to do more reps if your goal is to lose weight.

The heavier you can do an exercise for reps, the better the body composition.

I might do that. Going for heavy singles constantly gets old after a while. I'm thinking of bumping down my squat and bench because i haven't been able to get to 20 for a couple of weeks lately.