Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

I’ve been working really hard since January 1st on both diet and exercise and I’m loving the effect, but I’m feeling really despondent right now because my hernia is at the point where I cannot ignore it any longer and I have to get it fixed.

How seriously should I listen to the 6 weeks recovery time?  I really hate to lose all this progress.  I’m 31 damn years old and it’s getting ****ing difficult to improve on my lifts.  

If I did like 20 reps of extremely light weight a week or two after the surgery does anybody think that would be enough to maintain?  Obviously I’m going to listen to my doctor and talk to him about it, but this is just getting me ****ing hopeless and depressed.

On 2/21/2020 at 3:23 PM, Outpost31 said:

I’ve been working really hard since January 1st on both diet and exercise and I’m loving the effect, but I’m feeling really despondent right now because my hernia is at the point where I cannot ignore it any longer and I have to get it fixed.

How seriously should I listen to the 6 weeks recovery time?  I really hate to lose all this progress.  I’m 31 damn years old and it’s getting ****ing difficult to improve on my lifts.  

If I did like 20 reps of extremely light weight a week or two after the surgery does anybody think that would be enough to maintain?  Obviously I’m going to listen to my doctor and talk to him about it, but this is just getting me ****ing hopeless and depressed.

You're going to regress a little, just accept it and make sure you hit it hard when you're fully recovered.

As for the timetable, do what your body will let it. Give it a few weeks of rest and then start off light and inch closer to your norm until your body tells you that's too much and go from there.

Is there any real benefit to splitting up your workouts into different days (ex: back/bicep, legs, chest/tricep, etc.), unless you are already really experienced and trying to get to peak performance on specific things?

I feel like after 2-3 lifts on the same muscle groups I would just be burned out and I'd be done in 20 minutes. My standard workout (60-90 min) is a rotation so I am hitting everything, while giving the individual muscles time to recover while I work on other things. I'm also not going super hard on any one thing so I don't get really sore. 

I mix it up a little but in general my standard workout is:  running -> hanging leg lifts -> bench press -> leg press or squat -> russian twist -> pullups+chinups -> rowing -> arnold press

I'm by no means a big lifter or great athlete but I feel like I'm in decent enough shape where I'm not a true beginner (on a good day I'll run a 13-minute two mile for warmup, and my bench press sets are at body weight). My knees aren't great (from curling) and I have an unrepaired shoulder tear (from bouldering), so I'm not trying to maximize my lifts or get huge, I just want to look good and stay healthy.

I've never been a fan of splits.

I've noticed arm growth from just rowing (biceps), pressing (triceps) and deadlifting (forearms). Combining those with pushdowns and curls is all you really need.

Edited by Elky

On 2/21/2020 at 3:23 PM, Outpost31 said:

You won't be able to lift anything over 20 pounds for 3-4 weeks brother. Take it easy and fully recoup before you go HARD again. If you want to maintain your STRENGTH numbers, then up your protein and get lots of sleep. Your body will obviously not stay toned, but your strength will be intact and you'll be able to rebound quicker. If you up your protein and just have a relatively strict/competent diet, you'll be fine to resume after a month or two and won't be out much.

• Like 1

I had never understood all the gym memes and gripes until now. We joined a Planet Fitness now that we're back in the US indefinitely. Gotta say, the difference in behavior is wild vs my tiny gym in Beijing. Everyone just sitting at machines or in the squat racks with dumbbells. Everyone texting on their phone. I nearly took a photo as there were 6 squat racks with 5 people. 4 on their phones and one sitting at a bench with dumbbells. 

5 minutes ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

I had never understood all the gym memes and gripes until now. We joined a Planet Fitness now that we're back in the US indefinitely. Gotta say, the difference in behavior is wild vs my tiny gym in Beijing. Everyone just sitting at machines or in the squat racks with dumbbells. Everyone texting on their phone. I nearly took a photo as there were 6 squat racks with 5 people. 4 on their phones and one sitting at a bench with dumbbells. 

Go to a real gym.

Just now, Outpost31 said:

Better yet, build your own.

I would never ever ever ever ever ever ever go to a gym.  Yes, certain machines would be really nice, but not nearly as nice as working out alone.

Oh trust me, that's one of my big goals. I'm losing weight for military. There I'm going to save money for a house + my own gym so I don't have to wait for the squat rack ever again.

On 2/21/2020 at 2:01 AM, DirtyDez said:

Are there dudes who just can’t build muscle despite a healthy caloric surplus and training the right way?  It’s a yes or no question...

Also..define training the right way.

I've had clients build muscle even when not "at a surplus." Proper stimulus and nutrients will build muscle for sure.  Whether you're gaining weight on the scale or not will be if you are eating enough calories.

On 2/24/2020 at 10:02 AM, Heimdallr said:

Is there any real benefit to splitting up your workouts into different days (ex: back/bicep, legs, chest/tricep, etc.), unless you are already really experienced and trying to get to peak performance on specific things?

I feel like after 2-3 lifts on the same muscle groups I would just be burned out and I'd be done in 20 minutes. My standard workout (60-90 min) is a rotation so I am hitting everything, while giving the individual muscles time to recover while I work on other things. I'm also not going super hard on any one thing so I don't get really sore. 

I mix it up a little but in general my standard workout is:  running -> hanging leg lifts -> bench press -> leg press or squat -> russian twist -> pullups+chinups -> rowing -> arnold press

I'm by no means a big lifter or great athlete but I feel like I'm in decent enough shape where I'm not a true beginner (on a good day I'll run a 13-minute two mile for warmup, and my bench press sets are at body weight). My knees aren't great (from curling) and I have an unrepaired shoulder tear (from bouldering), so I'm not trying to maximize my lifts or get huge, I just want to look good and stay healthy.

I do Upper 1, Lower 1, Upper 2, Lower 2

Example of A series would be...

Upper 1- OHP with Supinated Chin Up

Lower 1- Back Squat

Upper 2- Bench and Neutral Chin Up

Lower 2- Front Squat or Deadlift

followed by Assistance and Remedial exercises in B and C series