Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

16 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah, you will lose a bit, but not enough to worry about.Like Shane said though, if you lose weight you’ll likely be proportionally stronger even with the loss though.

A bit part of lifting isn’t being able to bench 400 pounds, but to look like you could bench 400 pounds, at least to casual bros like us. If you strip away the fat you’ll look better and stronger, even if you technically aren’t.

Yup. What a bunch of show ponies we are. B|

• Like 1

20 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

Nice

I could never get that grip right - the bentback arm or the crossarm. I end up doing them in the Smith machine with the crossarm. I used to superset back and front squat sets. I was so unbelievably gassed, even with 5 minute breaks. But I'm also pretty out of shape.

I use a three finger grip.  Never use the crossarm unless you have an injury that doesn't let you get into the front rack position.

Went from 283 to 260 on my 2-week fast. Now I'm eating only between 7-9pm everyday with some workout nutrition in the AM.

My eating window consists of beef, eggs, some fish, brussel sprouts, salad, walnuts, and broccoli. And nutrition supplements (fishoil, calcium, circumin, biotin, CoQ10, collagen powder, and superfood powder.)About 1600 calories in that window. 

On 10/17/2018 at 10:35 AM, freak_of_nature said:

Went from 283 to 260 on my 2-week fast. Now I'm eating only between 7-9pm everyday with some workout nutrition in the AM.

My eating window consists of beef, eggs, some fish, brussel sprouts, salad, walnuts, and broccoli. And nutrition supplements (fishoil, calcium, circumin, biotin, CoQ10, collagen powder, and superfood powder.)About 1600 calories in that window. 

You truly are, a freak of nature.

• Like 1

Been really focussing on core recently. It's surprising to me how much it helps with compound lifts. I feel a lot stronger even just after a week or so of hammering core.

Does anyone have any good core exercises/workouts? Currently do planks (and variations), the V-sit, and swiss ball roll outs/circles.

Edited by Hunter2_1

On 9/9/2018 at 3:09 PM, jonu62882 said:

Im a newb here, 36 years old, and at a bit of a crossroads in life.  I have some health problems (might have diabetes, constant back and right arm pain).  Not much experience in lifting.  Im 5'11" and about 250 lbs (about 70-75lbs over goal weight, but I'd like to improve overall strength besides lose weight).  I don't even know if I could bench even half of my weight. 

I've had ups and downs with losing weight, especially when it comes to life stresses being around and then I stress eat uncontrollably.  This time around, I have had several major life-changing stressful events happen within the last few months.

So, as a newb, I'd obviously like to lose weight, but can you lose weight and put on muscle at the same time?  Should I just work on losing weight, then bulking up?  My preferred method of working out is some type of martial arts like BJJ and Capoeira as it makes it more fun than just say running or doing elliptical or something of that nature.

If I want to learn about lifting, where does a beginner like myself start out?  How do I find a good program to follow?  Do I seek out a personal trainer?

So, I am down almost 30 lbs since this post (weighed in at 221 today after almost a month and a half of dieting and light/medium cardio).

Per Sugashane's workout routine that he has me doing, I am up to doing 160 pushups and 130 situps in 1 workout routine (3-4 sets of 20 reps and then in sets of 10's).  I do that every 3 days or so while adding another 10-20 each time.  When I started, I could only do 20 pushups 1st set, and then sets of 3-5 after to get to 100 (even doing girl-pushups the first go around once my arms were like jelly).  With situps, I started out with only doing 5 in the 1st set, and then quarter-situps to get me up to 100.

Also, I started out only able to to do 20 pushups and 5 situps to start in 1 minute.  Now, I am able to 28 pushups and 25 situps in 1 minute.  It's been about 3 weeks since tracking in this routine.  My pushups in 1 minute have not really increased too much but my situps have.   

I haven't been able to run/walk much as I aggravated an old-knee injury.  Ive been icing and seeing an acupuncturist.  Also, I have carpal tunnel, too.  It's tough dealing with injuries while trying to progress forward.  But, so far I am happy with my progress as this point.

Edited by jonu62882
  • Like 6

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 1:24 PM, Hunter2_1 said:

Been really focussing on core recently. It's surprising to me how much it helps with compound lifts. I feel a lot stronger even just after a week or so of hammering core.

Does anyone have any good core exercises/workouts? Currently do planks (and variations), the V-sit, and swiss ball roll outs/circles.

Strongman exercises….farmers walks, yoke walks, suitcase carries, over head carries, waiter walks, bear hug walks, zercher carries, etc.

• Like 1