Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

the past 2 weeks i've been doing intermittent fasting and lost around 10 pounds in that time frame. Currently I'm 6'0 and 227 pounds. After my son was born, i took a long hiatus and gained about 30 pounds. My goal is to get back to 200-205.. Anyways, intermittent fasting has been amazing for me - i'm still strong as an ox and i noticed my overall mood and attitude towards things has been better. 

• Like 3

Well, I injured my shoulder (confident I am legit injured, not hurt, will be going to the doctor soon). I'm 6ft 200lbs and probabably about 20% body fat right now.. Was definitely planning on slow/clean bulking through the next couple of months, but I guess I'm just going to cut right now considering the only things I'm going to be capable of doing are abs, legs and cardio. So I have a few questions for you guys..

What can I do to preserve as much muscle as possible while going through this cut where I cannot even lift upper body?

Is it as simple as eat at a deficit and make sure I get as much protein as possible?

Does cutting too quickly greatly increase the rate at which I would lose muscle during this time? 

I'm currently an IF fasting guy, mostly just by the nature of my schedule. I get the majority of my cals (I don't strictly follow this diet, if something comes up at work and I go out for lunch, so be it) in about a 6 hour window. So I'm a 18/6 IF diet guy I guess. I've been considering lengthening the fast just out of pure curiosity. Any advice on the diet given the circumstances I've laid out?

Also.. any advice on any exercises? I really would still like to get damn good core and leg workouts in. I've always been more of a traditional lifter, with relatively slow, heavy workout. But, I was recently thinking I would really like to start getting into more "upbeat" workouts that get your lungs working and things like that. I've been dealing with some lower back pain and I really think I need to target my core pretty hardcore. I also want to add explosiveness and flexibility to my legs and hips. The best I've ever felt was after my freshman year of college, it was after a full year in a football program at a small college, I really want to get back to the way my body felt in those days.

Last question.. considering how limited my range of workouts is going to be, what's a reasonable schedule for me? I hate days where I don't workout, so I want to be in the gym as much as possible (not counting cardio) during this time. Is something like abs/core every other day and legs every third day reasonable or am I going to be overworking those body parts? For cardio I generally "run" (I would say somewhere in between a sprint and a job) this hill near my house. I hate long cardio, I like HIIT.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks guys!

Edited by braylon

^^Def interested in some of those responses.

I have been on trek to lose weight and cut as much body fat as possible/reasonable before I start weightlifting program to build mass and strength.  My question is if I start using weightlifting (thinking 5 x 5 approach) while eating at a deficit?  What will happen?  Will I still be able to lose weight (or fat should I say)?  Does lifting while eating deficit just tone you up so to speak?

5 hours ago, braylon said:

Well, I injured my shoulder (confident I am legit injured, not hurt, will be going to the doctor soon). I'm 6ft 200lbs and probabably about 20% body fat right now.. Was definitely planning on slow/clean bulking through the next couple of months, but I guess I'm just going to cut right now considering the only things I'm going to be capable of doing are abs, legs and cardio. So I have a few questions for you guys..

What can I do to preserve as much muscle as possible while going through this cut where I cannot even lift upper body?

Keep lifting and eating clean.

Is it as simple as eat at a deficit and make sure I get as much protein as possible?

Anything more than 0.6-0.8 grams/lb of body weight is a wast tbh.

Does cutting too quickly greatly increase the rate at which I would lose muscle during this time? 

Generally, yes.  Keto/IF is great at preserving muscle during a cut in my experience.

I'm currently an IF fasting guy, mostly just by the nature of my schedule. I get the majority of my cals (I don't strictly follow this diet, if something comes up at work and I go out for lunch, so be it) in about a 6 hour window. So I'm a 18/6 IF diet guy I guess. I've been considering lengthening the fast just out of pure curiosity. Any advice on the diet given the circumstances I've laid out?

Fast as long as you want each day.  Nothing wrong with OMAD provided you eat well.  Keto is great too if you’re so inclined.

Also.. any advice on any exercises? I really would still like to get damn good core and leg workouts in. I've always been more of a traditional lifter, with relatively slow, heavy workout. But, I was recently thinking I would really like to start getting into more "upbeat" workouts that get your lungs working and things like that. I've been dealing with some lower back pain and I really think I need to target my core pretty hardcore. I also want to add explosiveness and flexibility to my legs and hips. The best I've ever felt was after my freshman year of college, it was after a full year in a football program at a small college, I really want to get back to the way my body felt in those days.

Sprints.  Easy on your back and helps burn fat.

Last question.. considering how limited my range of workouts is going to be, what's a reasonable schedule for me? I hate days where I don't workout, so I want to be in the gym as much as possible (not counting cardio) during this time. Is something like abs/core every other day and legs every third day reasonable or am I going to be overworking those body parts? For cardio I generally "run" (I would say somewhere in between a sprint and a job) this hill near my house. I hate long cardio, I like HIIT.

It’s pretty hard to say until you have a diagnosis.

18 minutes ago, jonu62882 said:

I have been on trek to lose weight and cut as much body fat as possible/reasonable before I start weightlifting program to build mass and strength.  My question is if I start using weightlifting (thinking 5 x 5 approach) while eating at a deficit?  What will happen?  Will I still be able to lose weight (or fat should I say)?  Does lifting while eating deficit just tone you up so to speak?

If you’re not lifting, you’re not doing it right imo.

If you don’t lift now you’ll likely get to experience noob gains, which are glorious.  

Generally speaking muscle is built in the gym, abs are made in the kitchen. You’ll need to eat in a caloric surplus to build a significant amount of muscle, but you’ll definitely get stronger at your stage even in a deficit.  You’ll also increase your BMR/RMR, etc. wich will increase your fat loss.

Bottom line, start lifting.  Just be careful and go easy.  You’re not going to get jacked overnight, I can guarantee you that.  You can get injured quickly though, so check your ego at the effin door.  I can’t be more emphatic about that. Nothing slows progress more than being hurt or injured. Select weights you can do safely and with good form.  If you think you look dumb benching 135 or whatever, imagine how dumb you’ll look when you snap your pec or blow out your back.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If you’re not lifting, you’re not doing it right imo.

If you don’t lift now you’ll likely get to experience noob gains, which are glorious.  

Generally speaking muscle is built in the gym, abs are made in the kitchen. You’ll need to eat in a caloric surplus to build a significant amount of muscle, but you’ll definitely get stronger at your stage even in a deficit.  You’ll also increase your BMR/RMR, etc. wich will increase your fat loss.

Bottom line, start lifting.  Just be careful and go easy.  You’re not going to get jacked overnight, I can guarantee you that.  You can get injured quickly though, so check your ego at the effin door.  I can’t be more emphatic about that. Nothing slows progress more than being hurt or injured. Select weights you can do safely and with good form.  If you think you look dumb benching 135 or whatever, imagine how dumb you’ll look when you snap your pec or blow out your back.

Are machines useful or should I try to do dumbbells?  Also, 5x5 premise is just doing 5 sets of an exercise at 5 reps each at progressing levels of weight (ex: lat pull down set 1- 60 lbs x 5 reps, set 2 - 70 lbs - x 5 reps, etc.)?

What are splits that most people run with body groupings?  Finally, what's the minimum amount of rest a body group needs before you should hit it again?

13 minutes ago, jonu62882 said:

Are machines useful or should I try to do dumbbells? 

Imo free weights are almost always superior as they require balance and use of accessory muscles.

Also, 5x5 premise is just doing 5 sets of an exercise at 5 reps each at progressing levels of weight (ex: lat pull down set 1- 60 lbs x 5 reps, set 2 - 70 lbs - x 5 reps, etc.)?

Yeah pretty much.  Google Starting Strength and go from there.  There are lots of good programs that use these principles.

What are splits that most people run with body groupings?  Finally, what's the minimum amount of rest a body group needs before you should hit it again?

I hit each body part twice a week, 3-5 sets each time.  I think a lot of folks beat the hell out of themselves unnecessarily by doing a bunch of Muscle and Fitness regimens that work well for dudes on gear (30-40 sets per workout).  For example I do 12-20 sets, depending on what body parts/exercises and if I’m going to do some sprints. Rarely more than that.

Bottom line, as a natural lifter in your mid 30’s who’s in a caloric deficit, you’ll never recover if you beat the hell out of yourself and it’s not really necessary. More doesn’t equal better.  Most of the time more just means longer recovery times and more joint pain.  If you can’t hit that muscle group again 72 hours later, you probably overdid it imo. You need to fatigue the muscle just enough to stimulate growth, not so much you can’t walk or lift your arms, etc for 3 days afterwards.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Imo free weights are almost always superior as they require balance and use of accessory muscles.

Yeah pretty much.  Google Starting Strength and go from there.  There are lots of good programs that use these principles.

I hit each body part twice a week, 3-5 sets each time.  I think a lot of folks beat the hell out of themselves unnecessarily by doing a bunch of Muscle and Fitness regimens that work well for dudes on gear (30-40 sets per workout).  For example I do 12-20 sets, depending on what body parts/exercises and if I’m going to do some sprints. Rarely more than that.

Bottom line, as a natural lifter in your mid 30’s who’s in a caloric deficit, you’ll never recover if you beat the hell out of yourself and it’s not really necessary. More doesn’t equal better.  Most of the time more just means longer recovery times and more joint pain.  If you can’t hit that muscle group again 72 hours later, you probably overdid it imo. You need to fatigue the muscle just enough to stimulate growth, not so much you can’t walk or lift your arms, etc for 3 days afterwards.

Good stuff, and thanks as always, LGB!  I'm gonna look through that Starting Strength website.   

• Like 1

@jonu62882, I'd listen to @LETSGOBROWNIES. I'm 32 and lift about 3-4 times a week. My goals are potentially different than some, but to me, it boils down to this:

*I'm not a college athlete anymore, so I don't have 2-3 hours a day, 6 days a week, to live in the gym and get/stay jacked. I'm now trying to be healthy, not get fat, and look good in a T shirt and not having embarrassing chicken legs in shorts.

*I also have a wife and 3 kids ages 4 and under. See the above on time restraints.

*I basically do 1-2 Olympic lifts (Bench, Squat, Deadlift, Military Press) each time I lift, with a complimentary super-set, whether they be body weight (push ups/pull ups), or calf raises with the squats, TRX bands/bent over rows after bench, etc. I try to have a 2/1 back to chest ratio to keep my shoulders healthy (rotator cuff surgery and lingering issues from college) and I don't squat above 225 anymore due to multiple knee surgeries (what LGB said about joint issues is very real/legitimate). Free weights and body weight exercises are the only things that I use.

*My goal working out is to finish within 25-30 minutes going almost non-stop (30 seconds to 1 minute rest between each OLYMPIC lift, minimal rest on auxiliary lifts) , keeping my heart rate in the 120-160 zone.

*I do about 250 ab reps every other day. I won't ever have a six pack again, but my core is strong and I don't have a gut. Plus, I enjoy good food and beverages from time to time.

*For a point of reference, I'd wager I'm much smaller than LGB. I'm 5'10 and 1/2 and between 170-180. I'm one of those guys who could tell you that I'm 160 or 205 and you'd believe me. I have a long torso and broad shoulders/back, but my legs are a bit shorter.

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:38 AM, braylon said:

You must keep protein high.  Aim for 200 grams.

Yes, for the time being

I'd do a 300-500 calorie deficit depending on what you want to accomplish.

Definitely need to add Strongman training in! Start off with Sled push, pull and drag variations.

If you want to hit legs 3 times a week vary your lifts and/or do a Heavy/Light/Medium split.

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 2:29 PM, jonu62882 said:

Do not start with a 5 x 5.  You want to cut as much fat as possible BEFORE starting a program for mass and strength.  5x5 is something you would do for mass/strength.  Stick to Total Body workouts with supersets/trisets/giant sets (depending on conditioning) alternating between Upper and Lower exercises using 10-12 reps.

Ive been tracking my progress.  I've been posting up results of progress every so often.  I am 36, 5'11" and down to 205 from 250 (about a little over 2 months now).  I let myself go badly, and I am inexperienced in fitness and especially lifting.  Ive been doing Keto plus IF (down to 4 hour eating window 4-8 pm) and train every morning in a fasted state (every other day 300 pushups, 260 situps in sets of 40s and jogging/walking/running combo interval on the other days). My running times are weak because I have a messed up left knee from pushing too hard.  But, I know I am definitely a lot faster than when I first started and in much better condition overall.

My thinking was to shed off all the fat through diet and exercise and then work on building size/mass.  I read that it's possible to put 20-25 lbs of muscle in one year.  I was gonna try to get down to 170-175 or and then try to pack on the muscle as I stated before.  But, I think I am gonna work on lifting now while eating at a deficit still.

My end goal is training for an opportunity at special forces (I am not very fast or experienced in the water so I am shooting for Army Ranger or Green Beret (I can speak multiple languages which is a requirement) but I know I would have to get waivered in at my age).  I found a Navy Seal Personal Trainer out in AZ or Cali or something like that and considering doing online coaching with this guy.  I don't know if my body will withstand the physical wear and tear to even make it to the selection process, but its something Ive always wanted and something I know Im gonna regret if I never try for it.  I am giving myself 1.5 years to 2 years to get myself right.  I am trying to make this happen as quickly  as I know how, but I lack a lot of knowledge that can set me back.  That's why I solicit advice from you guys, which I definitely appreciate and soak up.

• Like 1

I took about 6-8 months from serious workouts.  I had been doing ~2ish medium intensity workouts/week, plus playing basketball or something for the last couple of months.  This week i started p90x back up, the original.  Yesterday was leg day and i can barely walk today.

Lesson - don't stop.

• Like 1