Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

19 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Have these guys been discussed on here before?

https://bonytobeastly.com/

If so, what's the general consensus? I'm not looking to purchase anything, but was curious if their info is solid. 

I think that's all actually bull**** and I'm not a fan of those programs at all.

Just gotta eat. Lift weights and eat.

I'm going to preface this by saying I have convinced myself that arthritis is a myth, but...

The whole ectomorph, endomorph BS is BS.

Pretty sure everyone's BMR is pretty set based on age and weight and that it only really changes by adding muscle and continuing to eat enough to support that muscle and keep eating as you keep gaining.

When I went from 130 pounds up to 240 pounds (vegan to meat eater), I took the advice of the first big dude I asked and he told me to just drink a gallon of milk a day until I got where I wanted to be. I didn't drink a gallon of milk a day, but I drank a LOT of milk, and within three years I lost the whole bony body type.

Every couple years I decide to do a hard cut and get lean again, and every time I decide to add more muscle I just eat.

And I'm a little unapologetic and a bit of a **** (Butkus), but the best advice is always just shut up and do it.

Lift (or do exclusively bodyweight exercises or bands or whatever) and eat.

17 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I think that's all actually bull**** and I'm not a fan of those programs at all.

Just gotta eat. Lift weights and eat.

I'm going to preface this by saying I have convinced myself that arthritis is a myth, but...

The whole ectomorph, endomorph BS is BS.

Pretty sure everyone's BMR is pretty set based on age and weight and that it only really changes by adding muscle and continuing to eat enough to support that muscle and keep eating as you keep gaining.

When I went from 130 pounds up to 240 pounds (vegan to meat eater), I took the advice of the first big dude I asked and he told me to just drink a gallon of milk a day until I got where I wanted to be. I didn't drink a gallon of milk a day, but I drank a LOT of milk, and within three years I lost the whole bony body type.

Every couple years I decide to do a hard cut and get lean again, and every time I decide to add more muscle I just eat.

And I'm a little unapologetic and a bit of a **** (Butkus), but the best advice is always just shut up and do it.

Lift (or do exclusively bodyweight exercises or bands or whatever) and eat.

That's their program in a nutshell. So I suspect you might actually agree with much of it. 

I've always been a fairly skinny guy (now at 5'11, 160, 18% BF and have never ever been a gym rat in my life. Trained up for USMC OCS and could max the PFT (18min 3 mile, 20 pull ups, some situp max that was a breeze to hit), but never consistently lifted weights for any amount of time.

I finally decided to start lifting a few weeks ago and want to add some lean mass for a number of reasons.

Always been keen to track my diet, but am really dialing now. I nerd out on nutrition. Looking forward to the newbie gains ha.

Edited by incognito_man

9 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

That's their program in a nutshell. So I suspect you might actually agree with much of it. 

I've always been a fairly skinny guy (now at 5'11, 160, 18% BF and have never ever been a gym rat in my life. Trained up for USMC OCS and could max the PFT (18min 3 mile, 20 pull ups, some situp max that was a breeze to hit), but never consistently lifted weights for any amount of time.

I finally decided to start lifting a few weeks ago and want to add some lean mass for a number of reasons.

Always been keen to track my diet, but am really dialing now. I nerd out on nutrition. Looking forward to the newbie gains ha.

No I don’t because my whole program is you don’t need a program.

Programs are for ****ies and movie stars.

48 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

If so, what's the general consensus? I'm not looking to purchase anything, but was curious if their info is solid. 

The articles and info aren't too bad after a very brief gloss over.  But I'm not into the whole ecto-, meso-, endo-.  I've seen "ectos" turn into "endos" I think it's just a label you can give yourself as a cop out.

Most hard gainers and "ectos" simply don't eat enough.  And when you think you've eaten enough, you need to eat more.

Can't say about how the workouts look without being able to preview.

10 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

The articles and info aren't too bad after a very brief gloss over.  But I'm not into the whole ecto-, meso-, endo-.  I've seen "ectos" turn into "endos" I think it's just a label you can give yourself as a cop out.

Most hard gainers and "ectos" simply don't eat enough.  And when you think you've eaten enough, you need to eat more.

Can't say about how the workouts look without being able to preview.

They essentially base workouts around their "big 5": deadlift, squat, bench, overhead press and chin-ups.

On 11/12/2022 at 9:49 PM, incognito_man said:

Lifting and muscle mass comes down to 3 things:

1. Lift proportionately. TL;DR: Don't neglect muscle groups. Do leg day. Try to hit a pull/push ratio of 2:1. Try to do mostly free weights.

2. Eat enough

3. Sleep enough

#2 and #3 are critical for muscle growth and regeneration. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Lifting and muscle mass comes down to 3 things:

1. Lift proportionately. TL;DR: Don't neglect muscle groups. Do leg day. Try to hit a pull/push ratio of 2:1. Try to do mostly free weights.

2. Eat enough

3. Sleep enough

#2 and #3 are critical for muscle growth and regeneration. 

I'm doing a base of 6 sets per week of: squat, deadlift, overhead press, bench press and chin-ups. Adding to that another 4-6 sets per week per muscle group of accessory lifts (good mornings, leg extension, bicep curls, pec work, rows, shoulder raises, etc) that I mix in and mix up.

My "normal" diet usually has me at least 1.2g/lb of protein naturally and probably 50% fat and 20-25% carbs (almost no grains). Trying to cut a bit for 8ish weeks to get below 15% body fat before getting into a surplus. I meticulously track my food intake because I nerd out on that.

I've always been lucky enough to be a good sleeper. Solid 7-9hrs every night.

All of this is largely what those dudes recommend. I just found it as a nice resource to put everything together.

*Also doing somewhat high volume of swimming, biking and hot yoga. Not planning to do high volume running, I can roll out of bed and run/jog/walk a respectable 13miles and think excess running is just detrimental to health, especially considering those calories are better burned doing literally anything else for me.

Edited by incognito_man
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I'm doing a base of 6 sets per week of: squat, deadlift, overhead press, bench press and chin-ups. Adding to that another 4-6 sets per week per muscle group of accessory lifts (good mornings, leg extension, bicep curls, pec work, rows, shoulder raises, etc) that I mix in and mix up.

My "normal" diet usually has me at least 1.2g/lb of protein naturally and probably 50% fat and 20-25% carbs (almost no grains). Trying to cut a bit for 8ish weeks to get below 15% body fat before getting into a surplus. I meticulously track my food intake because I nerd out on that.

I've always been lucky enough to be a good sleeper. Solid 7-9hrs every night.

All of this is largely what those dudes recommend. I just found it as a nice resource to put everything together.

*Also doing somewhat high volume of swimming, biking and hot yoga. Not planning to do high volume running, I can roll out of bed and run/jog/walk a respectable 13miles and think excess running is just detrimental to health, especially considering those calories are better burned doing literally anything else for me.

Higher protein and fat is something I’d recommend, and just remember if you’re cutting, short of PED, you’re going to lose weight room gains, but that’s okay because lean is good. Just finished my cut a couple weeks ago. Hit the bike hard today after 4 lifts last week.

• Like 1