Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

On 12/27/2022 at 1:49 PM, kingseanjohn said:

Day two of hell week:

There's a guy doing bench on one of four smith machines. He does a set of 5-8 then goes to a treadmill for 3-5min and then does another set. I've seen at least 4 times back and forth. Plus dumbbells at the smith machine for some unknown reason. 

My kids are lifting now too so I take them 2-3 times a week, and we have one guy that will load way too much weight on the smith, do 1/8 reps, then put up the weights. Seen him do it a handful of times so nothing new, he racks up his weight so IDGAF.

This week my son asked why there were dumbbells at the iso bench press and found out this same dude uses the 10lb dumbbells to prop the arms up so when he has too much weight he can still lock out a bit. Once he moves it 3" the dumbbells fall and he "maxes out" his 1/8 rep presses. 😂

I just hope the guy stays injury-free at this point. Let the kids know they are likely going to see some weird stuff in the next month or two, just be quiet and ask me if they have any questions and we'll try to figure it out together. hahaha

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

My kids are lifting now too so I take them 2-3 times a week, and we have one guy that will load way too much weight on the smith, do 1/8 reps, then put up the weights. Seen him do it a handful of times so nothing new, he racks up his weight so IDGAF.

This week my son asked why there were dumbbells at the iso bench press and found out this same dude uses the 10lb dumbbells to prop the arms up so when he has too much weight he can still lock out a bit. Once he moves it 3" the dumbbells fall and he "maxes out" his 1/8 rep presses. 😂

I just hope the guy stays injury-free at this point. Let the kids know they are likely going to see some weird stuff in the next month or two, just be quiet and ask me if they have any questions and we'll try to figure it out together. hahaha

I absolutely love those kinds of guys.  Always hope they don't get hurt, too, but I can't help but watch them.  Add in some Tommie Copper-esque sleeves, some mild yelling, and I'm sold. 

There is just something fascinating about watching a person get a better workout from the act of loading/unloading a machine, with copious amounts of plates they do not need in the least, than the actual intended exercise itself.  It's always done with this great sense of pride, too;  Looking around to see if anyone sees how much weight they have on😄.  Has to be some fantastic internal dialogue going on.  It's like the actual exercise is some goofy Row, RDL, Shrug, Shoulder Raise  and Press hybrid, with a 45 lb plate, and they rest on the machine between those sets.  Leg Press is the best for it.  

Edited by OkeyDoke21
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

I absolutely love those kinds of guys.  Always hope they don't get hurt, too, but I can't help but watch them.  Add in some Tommie Copper-esque sleeves, some mild yelling, and I'm sold. 

There is just something fascinating about watching a person get a better workout from the act of loading/unloading a machine, with copious amounts of plates they do not need in the least, than the actual intended exercise itself.  It's always done with this great sense of pride, too;  Looking around to see if anyone sees how much weight they have on😄.  Has to be some fantastic internal dialogue going on.  It's like the actual exercise is some goofy Row, RDL, Shrug, Shoulder Raise  and Press hybrid, with a 45 lb plate, and they rest on the machine between those sets.  Leg Press is the best for it.  

To top it off you know damn good and well there will be a strut that suffers from Imaginary Lat Syndrome. 😂

giphy.gif

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Sugashane said:

To top it off you know damn good and well there will be a strut that suffers from Imaginary Lat Syndrome. 😂

giphy.gif

The closest I’ve ever been to witnessing a physical altercation at the gym was when a guy was doing curls in the squat rack, tagging @AFlaccoSeagulls here for this because it’s his biggest trigger as well (rightfully so). It gets better though. The guy was getting the curl at about 80%, then intentionally hitting the center of the curl bar on the safety spot to stop his upward momentum as though that would somehow do something. The clang, yell, look at me pump this guy was going for almost got him stomped by a bodybuilder waiting for the squat rack, a trainer who was upset at the damaged equipment potential, and another guy just yelling “THAT ISNT DOING ANYTHING!!!!!!!”

Edited by MWil23
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

The closest I’ve ever been to witnessing a physical altercation at the gym was when a guy was doing curls in the squat rack, tagging @AFlaccoSeagulls here for this because it’s his biggest trigger as well (rightfully so). It gets better though. The guy was getting the curl at about 80%, then intentionally hitting the center of the curl bar on the safety spot to stop his upward momentum as though that would somehow do something. The clang, yell, look at me pump this guy was going for almost got him stomped by a bodybuilder weighting for the squat rack, a trainer who was upset at the damaged equipment potential, and another guy just yelling “THAT ISNT DOING ANYTHING!!!!!!!”

40e06172-d70f-4500-8d9b-33ea29b3c3e9_tex

Flip it on him, start squatting on the preacher curl bench    lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

The closest I’ve ever been to witnessing a physical altercation at the gym was when a guy was doing curls in the squat rack, tagging @AFlaccoSeagulls here for this because it’s his biggest trigger as well (rightfully so). It gets better though. The guy was getting the curl at about 80%, then intentionally hitting the center of the curl bar on the safety spot to stop his upward momentum as though that would somehow do something. The clang, yell, look at me pump this guy was going for almost got him stomped by a bodybuilder weighting for the squat rack, a trainer who was upset at the damaged equipment potential, and another guy just yelling “THAT ISNT DOING ANYTHING!!!!!!!”

Thank you for this, now I'm irrationally mad at 10:30pm on a Friday night!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Yes, almost exactly 

Ah, I was thinking way louder and more obnoxious. Like really slamming the bar against the safeties and then holding it for a few seconds. Then yell, negative, repeat. lol

Never done them for biceps but help when you're getting stuck on locking out your bench and deadlifts.

18 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Ah, I was thinking way louder and more obnoxious. Like really slamming the bar against the safeties and then holding it for a few seconds. Then yell, negative, repeat. lol

Yes, exactly like that. So the lift above with that “meta”.

18 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Never done them for biceps but help when you're getting stuck on locking out your bench and deadlifts.

• Like 1

Hot take here, so cover your butts….

Idgif what you do in the squat rack as long as you’re exercising and the rack is necessary for the lift. Those curls, squats, whatever.  

Squat bro mad because he wants to squat?  Get the the rack first. Or better yet, buy your own so you never have to concern yourself with what others are doing.

The main character syndrome with some people in some gyms is insane.

Question. Started doing the yearly 'lets get in better shape for the spring/summer' December 1st. Doing 5 days of lite workouts (20-25min) + dieting + intermittent fasting (5/2).

The thing I cant wrap my head around is everyone says maximizing protein intake is just as important to muscle gain/weight loss as staying in a calorie deficit is. 

How in the hell are you supposed to eat enough to get 120g of Protein a day while also staying under 2000 calories a day.

Even with a protein shake, that is only 24g of protein. Where do these other 100g of protein come from WITHOUT going over 2000 calories a day unless you just eat chicken breast and eggs for every meal every day.

Bonus Question: My buddy keeps telling me to also pick up creatine. Can you mix creatine and protein? Will that drastically change anything?

Edited by AkronsWitness

43 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Question. Started doing the yearly 'lets get in better shape for the spring/summer' December 1st. Doing 5 days of lite workouts (20-25min) + dieting + intermittent fasting (5/2).

The thing I cant wrap my head around is everyone says maximizing protein intake is just as important to muscle gain/weight loss as staying in a calorie deficit is. 

How in the hell are you supposed to eat enough to get 120g of Protein a day while also staying under 2000 calories a day.

Even with a protein shake, that is only 24g of protein. Where do these other 100g of protein come from WITHOUT going over 2000 calories a day unless you just eat chicken breast and eggs for every meal every day.

Bonus Question: My buddy keeps telling me to also pick up creatine. Can you mix creatine and protein? Will that drastically change anything?

It’s super tough. Lentils like beans (black beans especially) are a good source, as are certain nuts, but be careful.

I would highly recommend focusing on your calorie deficit and eating clean, trying to eat more lean protein, good fats, fiber, and lower carbs with very little dairy.

Healthy starches like sweet potatoes and potatoes are good stuff too.

After you get through your “cut” cycle, then I’d up your protein intake for muscle mass.

I shoot for 1800-2200 calories per day with 5-6 workouts a week. If I’m at 1800 calories then I’ll drop a pound or 2 per week. 2200 is closer to 2 pounds a month. 2300-2400 is maintenance…past that is holiday contentment weight.