Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

6 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'm so happy I stopped going to public gyms. I got so tired of seeing all of these types of people lol

I use my HS weightroom 75% of the time and the local college gym the rest of the time. It’s not perfect but infinitely less crowded and mostly better.

I use dumbbells and my bike for vanity lifts and intense cardio here at home.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I use my HS weightroom 75% of the time and the local college gym the rest of the time. It’s not perfect but infinitely less crowded and mostly better.

I use dumbbells and my bike for vanity lifts and intense cardio here at home.

Just got a Peloton on Wednesday that I'll be using a lot for cardio/legs, and then I was lucky enough to find a gym here that trains a bunch of pro athletes and college (mainly D1) athletes so I've been using that every morning before work to do my workouts. Been loving it so far

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Steve Harvey Wow GIF by NBC

I’ve got some tips that you may find helpful.  

1.  When she asks for a spot, try using the phrase “no”.

2. When she tries to talk to you point to your headphones and say “I wear these here so I don’t have to have conversations like the one you’re trying to start”

3. When she acts like a know it all, remind her if she actually knew what she was talking about she’d know to re-rack her weights.

Hope these work for you!

1. I do! Lol 

2. Love, stealing it 

3. I am one of the people who has to tell to to "put her **** up" but i find it is better to just grab her dumbbells and out them at her feet wherever she went. 

12 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

How many “Man, that’s crazy” comments does it take to get her to get the hint?

More than I'm willing to say. Lol.

I've fallen into the "Big gulps, huh? Alright see you later" kind of exit. Make it awkward for her, then she will be pissy and not bother you. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Just got a Peloton on Wednesday that I'll be using a lot for cardio/legs, and then I was lucky enough to find a gym here that trains a bunch of pro athletes and college (mainly D1) athletes so I've been using that every morning before work to do my workouts. Been loving it so far

I enjoy my Schwinn IC4 👍

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I enjoy my Schwinn IC4 👍

never heard of that one before. Only reason I went peloton is a couple of my buddies have them and eventually we'll be racing and stuff together once I get used to it. I like doing things as a group usually or just as some sort of community vs. just doing workouts isolated

5 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

never heard of that one before. Only reason I went peloton is a couple of my buddies have them and eventually we'll be racing and stuff together once I get used to it. I like doing things as a group usually or just as some sort of community vs. just doing workouts isolated

It’s a stationary magnetic resistance bike. Got a good deal on it about a year ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

It’s a stationary magnetic resistance bike. Got a good deal on it about a year ago.

I’ll have to look into that.

Ever since the treadmill broke and we got rid of it I’ve been looking for another piece of equipment to put in the corner of my bedroom to hang clothes and towels over.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I bit the bullet and used my work discounted active fit to sign up for City Sports. Needless to say, after one day, I really miss my old gym.

I as using Alpha Lion Super Human burn for my pre. I liked it. Seeing if anyone has any other ones they like with a thermo component.

On 1/6/2023 at 12:27 PM, Sugashane said:

We have one masculine chick who is a headache. She is pretty strong for a chick, but her personality is just so damn grating. Has to be the loudest person during and between sets, constantly tries to show how  much she knows (because she took classes but still doesnt know a hook grip isnt JUST a double overhand grip), and just is a jackass in her behavior. Doesn't put her dumbbells back half the time, drops weights, and wants a spot when she knows damn well she isn't going to need it. Listening to your headphones? Nope, she's going to still just keep talking to you between sets, because her night out with her "ole lady" was just so f***in' crazy!! 

Just a headache to look at too. Dresses like a teenage boy from the waist up and has the tightest leggings on. 

Anyone play Mass Effect? Picture Jack and imagine a pudgy 5'10" chick tried to copy that (minus the tats) and blend in the meathead personality of Vega. Sounds funny, but just sucks to be around. 

The phrase for people like this is "alright, take care!" said with just enough enthusiasm to make it clear you don't mean "**** off" and a step away from them. If there's any puzzled look, follow up with, "gotta run". Resume workout.

Use sparingly, but a vital backup plan for oversharing Midwesterners and lonely relatives on the phone.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The phrase for people like this is "alright, take care!" said with just enough enthusiasm to make it clear you don't mean "**** off" and a step away from them. If there's any puzzled look, follow up with, "gotta run". Resume workout.

Use sparingly, but a vital backup plan for oversharing Midwesterners and lonely relatives on the phone.

Try to squeeze in a needless apology at the beginning or if you’re very irritated, a cordial “well” with a 1-2 second pause.

Any idea for what is causing, or how to help, a pain I'm getting in my hand in the adductor pollicis region (kind of soft section between thumb and pointer finger) when doing bench press with dumbbells? It's not every time, but often enough to be annoying.

I thought it might be my grip, but I watched a couple videos on grip and that doesn't seem to be the case. Guessing it's probably one of those things impossible to solve over the internet.

So I've been working out again for 4 weeks and today was our inBody check in and I hit a few milestones that I'm really proud of:

• 17 Peloton rides this month out of 25 available days (I've also taken 3 off-days) and I just broke 200 output for the first time on my ride last night
  • down 2.4% body fat (started at 21.6 down to 19.2)
  • up almost 3lbs of muscle mass
  • weight went up by .2lbs which I'm happy with since I'm comfortable around 185 anyways so I'm happy there

Most importantly, I haven't had any chronic back pain in over 3 weeks now, which is why I've been doing all of this.

At the start of January, well actually I guess it was back in November/December, I had really bad bilateral sciatica in both legs/my lower back that was preventing me from working full days, sitting more than 15 minutes without pain, and bending over. After I made teh choice to invest in lifting, the peloton, and massages/stretching/chiro routine - holy **** has it made a difference. I had completely forgotten what it was like to walk around normally, get up from sitting without looking like the alien guy from Men In Black trying to walk around because I couldn't stretch out my right leg, and bending over without having to compensate.

Anyways, just really happy with my progress so far.

• Like 5