Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Almost exactly a year ago Christmas, I built my wife a standing desk for her office. She's all in on it. If I start WFH, I'm going to have to make a list of necessities.

I'm thinking:

*Noise cancelling headphones

*Some type of chair

*I'm going to make myself a desk

Any other recommendations?

Sincerely, she may like some stretch bands and a yoga mat. If she's got a job where she doesn't have to be on camera or leading the meeting, she can still get a good stretch in.

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

What does being middle aged feel like?

It feels like me here 7 years ago makes fun of you for this...me today with both links:

rick.jpg

The fact that nobody has told me I'm a nut from spending $2k on an office chair means this website is middle aged.

7 years ago I would have told you that everything's ergonomic when you're wasted.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Sincerely, she may like some stretch bands and a yoga mat. If she's got a job where she doesn't have to be on camera or leading the meeting, she can still get a good stretch in.

Check and Check, but good call. :) 

4 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The fact that nobody has told me I'm a nut from spending $2k on an office chair means this website is middle aged.

7 years ago I would have told you that everything's ergonomic when you're wasted.

I'm about 90% sure I'm going to build a DIY butcher block desk that looks something like this (disregard the bench):

Table-Bench-Metal-Legs.jpg

Probably going to drill a circle into the top right/middle area for cords and such.

I may alternate between a chair and a giant ball ala the one on the office that Dwight tries to use. LOL

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Almost exactly a year ago Christmas, I built my wife a standing desk for her office. She's all in on it. If I start WFH, I'm going to have to make a list of necessities.

I'm thinking:

*Noise cancelling headphones

*Some type of chair

*I'm going to make myself a desk

Any other recommendations?

Yeah it's totally different with someone else around. Since I live alone now I just have my iHome for music, airPods for meetings, a physio ball (I still have my office chair if I ever want it) to sit.

I would recommend a standing mat, or a pair of crocs. Standing all day in bare feet or socks gets to me so I usually just throw my crocs on an stand in those all day.

Aside from that, a docking station, monitor arms so you can clear more desk space and wireless mouse/keyboard are things I've invested in so that I have less wires and more desk space to maximize. I truly love my setup right now.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I absolutely caught a college kid flexing in the technique mirror today at the gym. I’m pretty sure he saw me smirk.

Kid is gonna be a loser. The only acceptable thing to do after being caught flexing is to drop your drawers and helicopter at them, take back authority of the situation and establish dominance.

His mating call will never be heard.

19 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Check and Check, but good call. :) 

I'm about 90% sure I'm going to build a DIY butcher block desk that looks something like this (disregard the bench):

Table-Bench-Metal-Legs.jpg

Probably going to drill a circle into the top right/middle area for cords and such.

I may alternate between a chair and a giant ball ala the one on the office that Dwight tries to use. LOL

That would be amazing. I want to make a butcher block top to the island in my kitchen. I'm kind of torn between that and just trying the faux marble counter tops. I've always wanted to make one and if I jack it up then it isnt too expensive. Plus I would really like to get into messing with epoxy since you can do a TON with it.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Kid is gonna be a loser. The only acceptable thing to do after being caught flexing is to drop your drawers and helicopter at them, take back authority of the situation and establish dominance.

His mating call will never be heard.

Based solely off of a 5 second interaction and my observations, I have decided the following:

*Curl and triceps day is every day; leg day is always "tomorrow"

*The sweatpant capris and boat shoes did not help his cause, nor did his bleach blonde "bro hair"

*He definitely hits on girls at least 3 years younger than him

2 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

That would be amazing. I want to make a butcher block top to the island in my kitchen. I'm kind of torn between that and just trying the faux marble counter tops. I've always wanted to make one and if I jack it up then it isnt too expensive. Plus I would really like to get into messing with epoxy since you can do a TON with it.

maxresdefault.jpg

My brother in law did a butcher block countertop with an epoxy and it turned out absolutely amazing. There's a slight learning curve, but usually a blowtorch and some patience can help with some of the bubbling. Pick a nice day outside if possible. :)

• Like 2

My wife and I quit our crossfit gym. The class hours were too limited, unfortunately, especially with the kid around now and him going to daycare. Plus, it got to be so expensive. We just joined this gym that is like a country club without the golf. Huge indoor pool, enormous outdoor pool, tons of free classes, tons of equipment, and the best part is free daycare while you work out. Plus, it is all somehow cheaper than our previous gym. My concern was that without coaches and the accountability/programming they bring, I was worried I'd regress a bit. So far, that hasn't been the case. I'm really enjoying it. 

This is really my first time working out in a public gym like this, and man, the people watching is insane. There are the people who want to workout and just don't know how to do things correctly, which I always respect and have to stop myself from helping unprompted. Then the are the truly odd ones, who do many sets of the same movement at like 1-2 reps with weight that is way too heavy for them that flex in the mirror after every set. Guys who obviously only work arms. It's fun.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, minutemancl said:

My wife and I quit our crossfit gym. The class hours were too limited, unfortunately, especially with the kid around now and him going to daycare. Plus, it got to be so expensive. We just joined this gym that is like a country club without the golf. Huge indoor pool, enormous outdoor pool, tons of free classes, tons of equipment, and the best part is free daycare while you work out. Plus, it is all somehow cheaper than our previous gym. My concern was that without coaches and the accountability/programming they bring, I was worried I'd regress a bit. So far, that hasn't been the case. I'm really enjoying it. 

This is really my first time working out in a public gym like this, and man, the people watching is insane. There are the people who want to workout and just don't know how to do things correctly, which I always respect and have to stop myself from helping unprompted. Then the are the truly odd ones, who do many sets of the same movement at like 1-2 reps with weight that is way too heavy for them that flex in the mirror after every set. Guys who obviously only work arms. It's fun.

Gym people watching is damn near unparalleled.  The mirrors everywhere and the short but frequent time between sets just makes it unavoidable.  Just don't end up on Tik-Tok.   

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

Gym people watching is damn near unparalleled.  The mirrors everywhere and the short but frequent time between sets just makes it unavoidable.  Just don't end up on Tik-Tok.   

Yeah, that's a new worry now I have to deal with. And the people who film themselves working out are plentiful at this gym- I think my wife called them "tripod girls"? So far, every interaction I've had with anyone has been pleasant, but I'll stay on my toes lol.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Filming in gyms shouldn’t be allowed imo. If you’re that concerned about your form (you’re not) hire a coach.

I fully accept I may just sound like a crotchety old man, and I’m ok with that.

Yeah, a bit different situation there, and even then when I was coaching and working with HS kids, we filmed with a team iPad on squat and clean technique.

The whole reason these places have mirrors is to see form. That’s how I gauge distance for my feet/toes pointed and how low I need to go on the squat. Yeah I’m sure that people wish they could see the side view on staying true and not bending their back, but typically as long as you keep a big chest with a firm base, it will naturally put you in that position.

Filming and pictures in a gym should absolutely be banned. Some out there are self conscious about sweating, how they look, how maybe they can’t lift enough, etc and it feeds the very real fear.

20 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Yeah, that's a new worry now I have to deal with. And the people who film themselves working out are plentiful at this gym- I think my wife called them "tripod girls"? So far, every interaction I've had with anyone has been pleasant, but I'll stay on my toes lol.

Tripod girls kill me. The whole facade about “why are you looking at me??????” that’s super legitimate for most of us while you’re pandering for likes and how good you look online in your clearly prearranged outfit. It detracts from the legitimate creep guy/girl gym factor.

16 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Yeah, a bit different situation there, and even then when I was coaching and working with HS kids, we filmed with a team iPad on squat and clean technique.

The whole reason these places have mirrors is to see form. That’s how I gauge distance for my feet/toes pointed and how low I need to go on the squat. Yeah I’m sure that people wish they could see the side view on staying true and not bending their back, but typically as long as you keep a big chest with a firm base, it will naturally put you in that position.

Filming and pictures in a gym should absolutely be banned. Some out there are self conscious about sweating, how they look, how maybe they can’t lift enough, etc and it feeds the very real fear.

Like, I have no issue with filming at all.  I don’t care if I’m in the background of one of the videos you made to check form whatsoever.  If coaches or trainers want to film for legitimate reasons, cool.

I have no interest in being part of a video for social media purposes.

And any clown who films or takes pictures in a locker room should be banned from the gym permanently.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Like, I have no issue with filming at all.  I don’t care if I’m in the background of one of the videos you made to check form whatsoever.  If coaches or trainers want to film for legitimate reasons, cool.

I have no interest in being part of a video for social media purposes.

And any clown who films or takes pictures in a locker room should be banned from the gym permanently.  

Need a name for this gym character, perhaps @AFlaccoSeagulls can weigh in:

Yesterday setup 4 plates on squat, kept it racked for 30+ minutes while helping a female friend of his with technique on her lift, while wearing a belt, then unracked and left. Zero actual visual reps seen.

• Like 5