Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

41 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

What are your goals and are you tracking?

My "cheat" post lift was a low calorie but high carb oatmeal with bananas and honey snack. The honey is 60 calories for a TBSP, the serving of oatmeal is 150 calories, and a large banana is about 100-120 calories. It filled me up and helped me refuel a bit.

Find protein rich foods that are higher in fiber like beans was also a positive for me in meals, as were healthy starches like potatoes and sweet potatoes.

Maintain muscle decrease body weight . 

They keep you fuller? I eat a lot of rice 

1 minute ago, Rainmaker90 said:

This is going to be EXTREMELY difficult in the short term, which is why most people do a bulk/cut wash-rinse-repeat. My guy @LETSGOBROWNIES does a lot of KETO stuff, so this is IMO your best bet.

1 minute ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Good carbs keep you "more full" for sure, just watch your serving sizes and calories IMO.

1 hour ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Prioritizing fiber and protein from meat earlier in the day is what works best for me.   Beans would also work pretty well.  Things like eggs, fish or protein shakes seem to breakdown so much faster in my stomach than something like red meat.  I stay satiated much longer.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

Prioritizing fiber and protein from meat earlier in the day is what works best for me.   Beans would also work pretty well.  Things like eggs, fish or protein shakes seem to breakdown so much faster in my stomach than something like red meat.  I stay satiated much longer.  

Interesting, so you’re saying front load the calories more . 

1 hour ago, Rainmaker90 said:

It depends. I intermittent fast and back-load the calories, but I do a high fiber, high protein, high fat and lower carb diet. Healthy fats have been a positive game changer for me, as have lean proteins/meats.

I lost a noticeable amoubn of weight doing a 3 day fast and then doing a 1:23 (1 hour to eat) protocol. In that one hour I try to eat as much protein and fiber as possible.

Honestly once you're past 25 you just don't need to eat nearly as much as we've been taught

Edited by biggie.

20 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

You might need to, but I was more so speaking on the source of those earlier calories.  Put something on your stomach that takes a little longer to break down, so your stomach remains feeling more full when that next meal is rolling around.  Throw a log on the fire earlier in the day instead of kindling, so to speak. 

I don't know what your diet is, but just something like replacing a preworkout protein shake with a piece of steak or chicken could help, so you aren't entering your post workout meal on a completely empty stomach.  Try getting something like 20g of fiber on your stomach throughout the day, prior to first dinner lol.   Soluble or insoluble whatever you enjoy/tolerate better.  If you aren't completely avoiding processed foods, using something like 647 bread can help there.

It's more important to pick effective and sustainable diets to our lifestyles before any of the other stuff.  If you're consuming so few calories earlier in the day that it is causing uncontrollable binging later in the day, it's probably to your benefit to move some calories earlier.  You want to control the totality of calories taken in throughout a day/week.  Hunger can annihilate willpower, particularly when we're changing habits.  I'd try not to set myself up to play into that battle as frequently, if it's causing an issue.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

Try getting something like 20g of fiber on your stomach throughout the day, prior to first dinner lol.   Soluble or insoluble whatever you enjoy/tolerate better.  If you aren't completely avoiding processed foods, using something like 647 bread can help there.

Metamucil >>>>

First thing I do in the morning is slam that awful tasting orange crap, but it keeps you full and you poop like a rockstar.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Metamucil >>>>

First thing I do in the morning is slam that awful tasting orange crap, but it keeps you full and you poop like a rockstar.

I use Metamucil, too, but felt like using that as an example sent mixed messaging when I was saying to try and eat calories from denser foods vs drinking them earlier in the day, then listing a way to drink some lol.   I take some metamucil most  weekdays toward the end of the workday, to get some extra fiber and take the edge off of wanting to snack when I get home before I eat dinner.  

The poops are A+. 

I've been eating some low carb bread (just to lighten up my calorie intake consulates to my normal terrible white bread) and honestly between that and coffee I'm extremely regular. 

On 2/15/2023 at 11:51 AM, OkeyDoke21 said:

That's kind of neat. I actually like to intermittent fast on non- training days. But the first thing I'll eat is usually just protein,  then will eat whatever else later. I find that I can easily go 16-18 hours without food (from the time i stay sleeping on) if I get coffee and zero calorie drinks,  but once I do eat it is way more annoying to start fasting.  

On training days I usually have 2-3 eggs,  1/3 cup egg whites, 2 pieces of low carb toast,  and salsa or some other sauce. If there are leftover veggies then they might get thrown in too. Not a lot of calories but good volume. 

Also adding in a water flavor pack to sugar free jello to add more flavor has been great lately.  Takes care of any sweet cravings. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I broke my 2 plate only rule today for leg day and added a 25 on each side for my 5 sets. I’m now laying here with a swollen knee. Just a stupid move on my end today. It’s nothing bad, just an uncomfortable reminder.

12 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I broke my 2 plate only rule today for leg day and added a 25 on each side for my 5 sets. I’m now laying here with a swollen knee. Just a stupid move on my end today. It’s nothing bad, just an uncomfortable reminder.

Sorry to hear your knee is being an a-hole. Mine acts up from time to time, but had been well behaved so far this year. 

If you want to ramp up the intensity one day try one- and-a-half squats. Down to the bottom,  halfway up,  back down,  all the way up.  One.  They stuck but I do then every once in a while for volume work for my quads (front squats). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Sorry to hear your knee is being an a-hole. Mine acts up from time to time, but had been well behaved so far this year. 

If you want to ramp up the intensity one day try one- and-a-half squats. Down to the bottom,  halfway up,  back down,  all the way up.  One.  They stuck but I do then every once in a while for volume work for my quads (front squats). 

Thankfully today I'm feeling good, just a bit sore. A few knee surgeries on it and here we are, just a reminder of the lack of youth and explosiveness there that I just simply don't have anymore. My goals now are to hit all muscle groups for toning/health and to look good in shorts, not to "get after it" on leg day anymore.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Thankfully today I'm feeling good, just a bit sore. A few knee surgeries on it and here we are, just a reminder of the lack of youth and explosiveness there that I just simply don't have anymore. My goals now are to hit all muscle groups for toning/health and to look good in shorts, not to "get after it" on leg day anymore.

3 ACL surgueries on my right knee so we might be cousins. Lol

I'm trying to slowly lose fat without losing muscle. I want to be that George DeFranco kind of guy when I'm in my 50s and 60s. Tried to hold as much mass as I could and lift as heavy as I could but a few years being near or over 300 just was too much. Health issues were too much. 

And no that isn't bodybuilder-looking mass, I took on a lot of fat to increase leverages and help drive up potential weights. I called it a "powerlifting primed physique." 😅

Honestly it is cool to enjoy meals again rather than sloggslogging food all day. Just seeing the numbers drop makes me feel almost anorexic. Hahaha. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

3 ACL surgueries on my right knee so we might be cousins. Lol

I'm trying to slowly lose fat without losing muscle. I want to be that George DeFranco kind of guy when I'm in my 50s and 60s. Tried to hold as much mass as I could and lift as heavy as I could but a few years being near or over 300 just was too much. Health issues were too much. 

And no that isn't bodybuilder-looking mass, I took on a lot of fat to increase leverages and help drive up potential weights. I called it a "powerlifting primed physique." 😅

Honestly it is cool to enjoy meals again rather than sloggslogging food all day. Just seeing the numbers drop makes me feel almost anorexic. Hahaha. 

LOL

At this point in my life, I've decided maintaining a "leaner" look is easier for me. I intermittent fast 6-7 days a week and do a higher protein and higher fat diet with lower carbs, but then I eat "what I want" on the weekends for 2 of those meals. I'm sure if I cut down on that I'd probably get a bit more chiseled, but I honestly am a bit of a foodie, so I exercise and diet to stay healthy so that I can enjoy those "good food meals".

• Like 1