Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

There's a massive Austrian dude that uses my apartment gym and I hate him. Lets the weights drop no matter where he's at in his set, leaves the dumbbells lying wherever he's done with them and they're usually the 45-50kg dumbbells, and he towels nothing off. He's the worst humanity has to offer. I use cleaning up his mess if he's not there as my warmup, but I still hope he catches a deadly flu or that his first born grows up to hate him.

The easy thing would be to just say something to him, but I watched someone say something to him about leaving behind such heavy weights and he acted like he didn't understand English and walked away. So he spoke Chinese to him and he just started grabbing even heavier weights and leaving them in the floor. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

There's a massive Austrian dude that uses my apartment gym and I hate him. Lets the weights drop no matter where he's at in his set, leaves the dumbbells lying wherever he's done with them and they're usually the 45-50kg dumbbells, and he towels nothing off. He's the worst humanity has to offer. I use cleaning up his mess if he's not there as my warmup, but I still hope he catches a deadly flu or that his first born grows up to hate him.

The easy thing would be to just say something to him, but I watched someone say something to him about leaving behind such heavy weights and he acted like he didn't understand English and walked away. So he spoke Chinese to him and he just started grabbing even heavier weights and leaving them in the floor. 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47ewfrlkom0x4x91zuj0

• Like 1

Update:

Switched from a strict diet and the same exercises to eating whatever I want whenever I want.

Went from cucumber, onion and vinegar or raw veggies as my late night snack to eating way too many sunflower seeds.

Still on Vodka and Zevia as my drink with a couple beer cheat nights since my last update.

Changed to running a mile 3 days a week, walking two miles on leg day (in addition to my legs workout), and running two miles on a steep incline on Fridays. So that’s at least a mile 5 days a week with no cardio on Saturday or Sunday. I increase the intensity each week on how quickly I finish the miles.

Three day average of 175 pounds, 18% body fat, 10 for visceral fat.

I sprained my wrist over the weekend and had to take some time off, so I'm hoping to get back into it today. It's a disappointing injury that more or less stands the chance of getting reinjured, so back to some basic and controlled movements it is.

I'm never asking teenagers to spot me again. The gym was relatively empty last night, my lifts felt surprisingly good, so I went for a back squat PR. Asked a group of three teenagers to spot me. Said it would be best for 2 of them to get on either side of the bar. Maybe it is my fault for assuming they knew what to do, but they did not. They just stood there lol. At least I was able to bail properly and it was fine, but man they were useless.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, minutemancl said:

I'm never asking teenagers to spot me again. The gym was relatively empty last night, my lifts felt surprisingly good, so I went for a back squat PR. Asked a group of three teenagers to spot me. Said it would be best for 2 of them to get on either side of the bar. Maybe it is my fault for assuming they knew what to do, but they did not. They just stood there lol. At least I was able to bail properly and it was fine, but man they were useless.

I once asked someone if he knew how to spot a Front Squat and would be comfortable and he said yes. I failed and he didn’t help, when I threw the bar forward I fell backwards on top of him and was like wtf dude and he said he didn’t know how to spot. Lol

• Like 2

11 hours ago, minutemancl said:

LOL

The look on some of my football kids faces was priceless about 5 years ago when they saw me essentially execute a spot on a kid who stalled as they interpreted it as a bear hug as I helped him.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MWil23 said:

LOL

The look on some of my football kids faces was priceless about 5 years ago when they saw me essentially execute a spot on a kid who stalled as they interpreted it as a bear hug as I helped him.

I specifically asked 2 of them so they didn't have to do the 1 person, potentially awkward, back squat spot! Didn't matter lol.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2023 at 9:42 AM, Tetsujin said:

running sucks

I always used to say this, but I can now safely say I wholeheartedly disagree.

Three weeks into running every day after work and I've never felt better, never looked better.

And the more you run, the faster you can run. I completed an 8 minute mile yesterday. Last time I did that I was 16 years old and I cheated when my gym teacher wasn't looking. Running used to feel like an hour when I did it for 10 minutes, now it's nothing.

Plus, it's cool to be able to lift heavy things. Much cooler to be able to sprint without getting winded and dash upstairs without needing an oxygen mask after.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MacReady said:

I always used to say this, but I can now safely say I wholeheartedly disagree.

Three weeks into running every day after work and I've never felt better, never looked better.

And the more you run, the faster you can run. I completed an 8 minute mile yesterday. Last time I did that I was 16 years old and I cheated when my gym teacher wasn't looking. Running used to feel like an hour when I did it for 10 minutes, now it's nothing.

Plus, it's cool to be able to lift heavy things. Much cooler to be able to sprint without getting winded and dash upstairs without needing an oxygen mask after.

I used to run cross country in HS and could easily run under a 6-minute mile. I'm now opposed to any kind of distance running.

Doing lifelong distance running makes one a physically weaker, less robust version of oneself, can prematurely age and keeps cortisol levels high. My father particularly had wrecked his body after 2 decades of marathon running and being a triathlete. 

One doesn't need to be a runner to not get easily winded. Doing some sprints twice a week, powerwalking regularly, metabolic conditioning, sports, or just being active with a proper diet should be enough.

• Like 1