Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

On 5/16/2023 at 7:09 PM, Ray Reed said:

Anyone have any tips for relieving/preventing shoulder (rotator cuff area) pain?

Cant do overhead presses, reverse flys or even dumbell pullovers anymore the pain is so bad in both shoulders.

Been lifting hard (5 times a week typically) for about 3-3.5 years now and in the last ~5 months it’s started. I’ve been benching straight on the ground so that it eases the pressure on my shoulders but idk what to do with all the other exercises that are heavily influenced/completely scrapped because of it.

I wouldn't immediately go to rotator cuff tear. They are common, but shoulder tendinitis has very similar symptoms to what you described in the more extreme cases, and I would honestly be surprised if you didn't have tendonitis given your lifting history. 

Regardless, definitely see a doctor. But unless they can tell it is a tear and you need surgery, you'll be sent to rehab it. My wife is an OT, and her and I both have varying degrees of shoulder tendonitis (me from wrestling and injuries I didn't allow to heal correctly, her from swimming). If I wasn't a hardhead and did the exercises she recommended regularly, my shoulders would feel a million times better than they do. As it stands now, my shoulders get locked up to where I can't lift my arms above my head after sustained, continuous overhead movements, specifically with a barbell, but regardless of the weight. I remember a workout I did where it was, as fast as you can, 100 push press with just the bar; no weight. My shoulders gave out after about 40 and I couldn't lift my arms anymore. Not fun.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I’ve personally never been a fan of knee wraps myself.

I'm thinking about trying out sleeves next potentially, but as a dude with a decent amount of leg hair, they sound less appealing.

I really should be taking some sort of supplements, which I know will help out my lifts pretty significantly, but I just don't care enough to take them. I care, I like lifting, but not enough to take anything I guess. I've never taken pre workout or anything like that. Most I've done is a protein shake afterwards.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I'm thinking about trying out sleeves next potentially, but as a dude with a decent amount of leg hair, they sound less appealing.

I really should be taking some sort of supplements, which I know will help out my lifts pretty significantly, but I just don't care enough to take them. I care, I like lifting, but not enough to take anything I guess. I've never taken pre workout or anything like that. Most I've done is a protein shake afterwards.

I drink 2 cups of coffee, lift on a fast hard, then break it with fats and proteins. No shame in not doing supplements.

• Like 1

I’ve been participating in marathon training the past month and a half based out of a local running store company here in Maryland.  Things are going well.  The coach and I agreed to target an 8-minute per mile pace, which is what I was running for my half-marathons this summer.  While I’ve been doing all of my running previously without a coach, she’s really emphasizing 80/20 easy running and keeping most runs on the slow side to build up the aerobic base.  So I am going to see what happens, but I have no shame in finishing anywhere between 8-9 minutes.  

I did a time trial 5k over the 4th of July weekend, and came in 10th overall, missing my age group finish by 8 seconds.  The 30’s age group is the toughest no matter what you do.  I grabbed my one mile PR (6:42) and my overall finish was a PR at 21:43.  

I do have a couple of races before the big one, so we’ll see the progress there.  

• Like 2

On 7/8/2023 at 12:36 AM, twslhs20 said:

Pretty Sure I have shoulder impingement. My buddy sent me this video. I tried hanging and it was immense pain imminently. I need a better way to open up my shoulder.

Good luck. I injured my shoulder doing butterfly bench press (machine) at 16 years old. To this day, that shoulder is hot garbage. Shoulder injuries are awful & generally take literally forever to heal. I’m convinced I’ll be dying with this bum shoulder.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2023 at 10:49 PM, kingseanjohn said:

I was out of the gym for the past month. This week I went back and all of my lifts are up 10-20lbs.... What? Guess I need to really rethink my recovery between workouts.

I have a 10-14 day de-load every 12 weeks at least. Stole it from DC training when I tried it forever ago and just kept it in pretty much any program I do. Even if there are scheduled de-loads after a few waves if I am just feeling worn down I'll take a week off and then step back where I left off.  On a deload I'll focus more on mobility and just getting reps in at that point, might revisit some exercises that really focus on stability or even just do bodyweight and some plyos. 

Honestly I think this has been one of the biggest reasons my joints feel so good usually. Been lifting pretty religiously for the last 20 years and few aches and pains that aren't just simply DOMS. Ligaments and tendons just don't heal/adapt as quickly as muscle. I'm not sure if the 14 days is enough for any real healing but it at least has helped prevent any muscular issues. 

• Like 2

Anybody who can’t get to that next level…

It’s meat. You’re not eating enough meat. Shut up no you’re not I was where you are, too.

If you struggle to get to that next level of fitness and you’re doing all the right workouts, getting all the right sleep, cutting out all the junk food, taking the perfect post workout protein shake and you still can’t hit that next level…

Eat more meat.

Hell with your tofu that has as much protein as steak BS. Hell with your mushrooms (though mushrooms are a great side)… Eat more meat.

Using eggs instead of meat? Great, eat eggs with your steak shut up you still need more meat.

And I’m talking red meat. Other meat is great, but red meat is better.

Disclaimer: I know 90% of fitness is anecdotal and every, “This is the only way…” method is a crock of crap, but this is what finally worked for me to get to that legitimately next level.

I’d always used eggs, milk, whey… to get semi close to where I needed on protein, but over the past two to three weeks I told myself enough was enough and I went hardcore on actually taking the time to prep meat as the main course and the difference is astronomical.

I’m talking Christian Bale the Machinist to Batman difference (hyperbole).

But what’s not hyperbole is the serious, serious, serious difference getting enough actual meat makes in how you look and how you feel.

Also, as far as actual weight lifting… I’ve never benefited much from strength training. Ever. To me it’s always seemed like a good way to hurt yourself or do the workout wrong.

I did the whole “gotta lift more…” thing with deads, squats and bench… Never did much for me. The best results I’ve had have been with lower weight, higher reps. 4 sets of 8 reps is perfect (in my experience) for getting stronger and for building muscle.

For every muscle I do a 4x8, a 3x10 and a 2x12 twice a week. Chest/shoulder, arms, legs/back split six days a week.

I’d like to know what my max would be on bench, but not enough to find out. Same with dead’s and squats. It just doesn’t matter.

No sugar no grains, low glycemic fruit and vegetables, lots and lots of meat, 6 day split, 9 sets per muscle group per week.

That’s what’s worked the best for me after a LOT of trial and error habits. So much so it’s become a way of life.

11 hours ago, MacReady said:

Anybody who can’t get to that next level…

It’s meat. You’re not eating enough meat. Shut up no you’re not I was where you are, too.

If you struggle to get to that next level of fitness and you’re doing all the right workouts, getting all the right sleep, cutting out all the junk food, taking the perfect post workout protein shake and you still can’t hit that next level…

Eat more meat.

Hell with your tofu that has as much protein as steak BS. Hell with your mushrooms (though mushrooms are a great side)… Eat more meat.

Using eggs instead of meat? Great, eat eggs with your steak shut up you still need more meat.

And I’m talking red meat. Other meat is great, but red meat is better.

Disclaimer: I know 90% of fitness is anecdotal and every, “This is the only way…” method is a crock of crap, but this is what finally worked for me to get to that legitimately next level.

I’d always used eggs, milk, whey… to get semi close to where I needed on protein, but over the past two to three weeks I told myself enough was enough and I went hardcore on actually taking the time to prep meat as the main course and the difference is astronomical.

I’m talking Christian Bale the Machinist to Batman difference (hyperbole).

But what’s not hyperbole is the serious, serious, serious difference getting enough actual meat makes in how you look and how you feel.

11 hours ago, MacReady said:

Also, as far as actual weight lifting… I’ve never benefited much from strength training. Ever. 

I’m not sure exactly where to hash out these two statements in tandem with one another.

Red meat is good, but so is chicken, as are tuna and salmon, and pork can be very solid too.

If you haven’t ever benefited from strength training, you’ve been doing it flat out wrong for a long time. 

As far as your splits go it’s relatively preference, but you absolutely should have a pull/push ratio of 2:1, and if you are neglecting your core, that’s going to take its toll.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

If you haven’t ever benefited from strength training, you’ve been doing it flat out wrong for a long time.

Don't agree, and not in my experience. All I've ever gotten from going for higher weights and lower reps has been injuries. Going slow and right on deadlifts, squats and bench with more reps is better than going heavy. The only thing shooting for 1 rep max records or focusing solely on weight does is inflates your ego and gives you injuries. Beginners should absolutely do a 5x5 type set/rep range to get started, but after a certain point you gotta just drop the ego and focus on form and time under tension. Maybe we're not actually arguing. I'm not saying pick one weight and then never go higher. My biggest issue is with people so focused on hitting that 1 rep max, so focused on how much weight they're lifting rather than focusing on form and time under tension. I also think deadlifts are extremely overrated. It's such an unnatural position to put yourself in and such a pointless lift. "Der, it hits every muscle in your body." Yeah, so? So do a split where you can also hit every muscle in your body without worrying about a herniated disk, a hernia, major joint sprain/strain/tears, ruptures... Same with squats.

I have both in my workout, but both are extremely low weights at high reps at the end of my back/egs workouts. Two hernias and two fractured knees in my lifetime and I'm not risking anymore hernias or screwing up my bum knees strictly to stroke my ego on how much weight I can do on both of those.

As far as your splits go it’s relatively preference, but you absolutely should have a pull/push ratio of 2:1, and if you are neglecting your core, that’s going to take its toll.

Absolutely untrue. Your core gets plenty of work doing a bench press, squats, reverse lunges, incline walking, deadlifts... Again, everyone is different, but your core is one area where the vast majority of people do not need to isolate. Everything else you've said I would say could work for some people because above all else, I believe nothing applies to everyone every time. Even the meat  thing. Some people are propably perfectly capable of getting shredded with tofu and mushrooms instead of meat. But this one? I think the single greatest lie in the fitness world is the need to isolate your core. A punching bag, jumping rope, chin-ups, pull-ups... Your core is worked on so many other workouts that it's pointless to isolate it and waste your time on it. Full disclosure, I have got a very nice 4 pack with the start of that lower 5th/6th pack. I haven't done a core workout in 4 months.

Red meat is good, but so is chicken, as are tuna and salmon, and pork can be very solid too.

Tuna tastes terrible and so does salmon. Both are great proteins that I cannot do regularly. Cannot do it.

Pork is something that I've just gotten back to eating. When I decide to go NSNG and incorporate more meat into my diet, I knew I was going to have to eat more pork. Pork has always grossed me out because of the line in Gangs of New York, "Nothing closer to the flesh of a man than the flesh of a pig," and also because I like pigs. Pork has been a lifessaver on getting as much meat as I wanted to get, but still... If it's a choice between pork bacon and beef bacon, I'm choosing beef bacon.

Chicken is disgusting and I've always hated chicken. If done right I can tolerate it, but done right usually meant covered in so much breading I couldn't taste the chicken. No sugar no grains really makes chicken hard for me to eat. I can still do it if I tenderize it and cook it just right, but I cannot eat leftover chicken. Cannot will not.

Turkey used to be my go to. Now I feel like turkeys aren't actually real and they're just a lie made up to convince us turkey meat has a lot of protein in it. Before this, I'd eaten so much turkey. Turkey sandwiches, ground turkey, turkey burgers... Nothing. Ever. Turkeys aren't real and they are not a viable protein in my unprofessional opinion. Whatever people thought was protein in turkey is actually just air turned solid that has the same consistency as protein. Good for nothing.

I’m not sure you’ve understood anything I’ve said. Toning is still strength training but I’d still recommend varying some sort of max and/or failure burnout even with that.

Who said anything about isolating core either?

• Like 1