Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

PR'd my deadlift yesterday after a few sessions of practicing single drops to build explosiveness for the first rep off the floor. 425#, which is 10# more than my previous PR. 

My previous one rep PR was also my 3 rep PR. If I could do one rep, I could do 3. It's really encouraging to see just a little practice really pay off. That 425 felt really good and I could have definitely done more, but my wife filmed my rep for me and watching it back my back definitely rounded just a little too much, so I figured I'd call it there. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I’m not sure you’ve understood anything I’ve said. Toning is still strength training but I’d still recommend varying some sort of max and/or failure burnout even with that.

Who said anything about isolating core either?

Yeah, I did a bad job explaining strength training. I meant purely going for strength on those lifts. I just hate the mentality behind just personal records and one rep maxes.

In my experience, 10 reps of 10 is as beneficial as 1 rep of 100. And safer.

I guess we still disagree because I think max training is dumb and naturally leads to bad form and jerking and not using the muscles you’re supposed to be using.

31 minutes ago, MacReady said:

Yeah, I did a bad job explaining strength training. I meant purely going for strength on those lifts. I just hate the mentality behind just personal records and one rep maxes.

I guess we still disagree because I think max training is dumb and naturally leads to bad form and jerking and not using the muscles you’re supposed to be using.

I think having a single max day on bench is absolutely beneficial to gauge strength. After knee and shoulder surgeries, I no longer do on squats or overhead press, and unless you are absolutely horrific on form, maxing on deadlift is easy without a spotter.

IMO if you’re not strength maxing on bench from time to time, you should just do dumbbells and push ups instead.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MacReady said:

Those have very different functions. You do you, obviously, but in general one isn't better than the other. If you prefer one though and it serves your purposes, more power to you.

Lifting heavy could lead to bad form, but it definitely doesn't "naturally" lead to bad form. You could have bad form no matter what exercise you are doing with any amount of weight. I think it is weird you have a problem with lifting heavier. It's fun!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

While not perfect, I found this to be fairly accurate with me: https://strengthlevel.com/one-rep-max-calculator

I've never liked this calculator. Unless you are going to exhaustion, I've found it to undersell your potential 1RM pretty significantly. I also don't like that it doesn't have you select a movement. I'm supposed to believe the same formula applies to every single lift?

It's good if you truly have no idea what your 1RM is and you need a ballpark of what to build up to so you can plan your jumps. Otherwise, just get a spotter and try to hit what you can and get a real measure of your numbers.

On 7/23/2023 at 11:00 AM, minutemancl said:

PR'd my deadlift yesterday after a few sessions of practicing single drops to build explosiveness for the first rep off the floor. 425#, which is 10# more than my previous PR. 

My previous one rep PR was also my 3 rep PR. If I could do one rep, I could do 3. It's really encouraging to see just a little practice really pay off. That 425 felt really good and I could have definitely done more, but my wife filmed my rep for me and watching it back my back definitely rounded just a little too much, so I figured I'd call it there. 

PR'ing my deadlift was nice. What's even better is, a few days later, having absolutely ZERO lower back soreness. Always good to get some reassurance that you were doing things right. Supersetting that with strict pullups though has my lats on fire lol.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2023 at 11:15 AM, BetterCallSaul said:

This is what I was afraid of.

Thanks for the advice! 

In all seriousness, gymnastics age 4, then around 8 stop so it doesn’t stunt his growth but he will have elite balance, strength, and core strength.

On 8/7/2023 at 7:18 PM, MWil23 said:

In all seriousness, gymnastics age 4, then around 8 stop so it doesn’t stunt his growth but he will have elite balance, strength, and core strength.

The growth stunting isn't something I am privy to, but gymnastics and swimming are going to be the first organized athletics I am going get my children into, basically for the reasons you've stated.  I think they both have fantastic transitional traits to build a person's physical foundation on.  Balance, flexibility, endurance; joint mobility and strength through mobility.  transitional core strength, spatial body awareness, learning to work around shifting centers of gravity.  They seem enjoyable for the athletes too, until they move into the more advanced age groups.  A-1 starting points, imo for how well their basics transition to other sports, or to just help set someone up for a healthy lifestyle, if they don't retain much interest in sports.   My oldest is still a year or so away, but by 3-4, she should be ready.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

The growth stunting isn't something I am privy to, but gymnastics and swimming are going to be the first organized athletics I am going get my children into, basically for the reasons you've stated.  I think they both have fantastic transitional traits to build a person's physical foundation on.  Balance, flexibility, endurance; joint mobility and strength through mobility.  transitional core strength, spatial body awareness, learning to work around shifting centers of gravity.  They seem enjoyable for the athletes too, until they move into the more advanced age groups.  A-1 starting points, imo for how well their basics transition to other sports, or to just help set someone up for a healthy lifestyle, if they don't retain much interest in sports.   My oldest is still a year or so away, but by 3-4, she should be ready.  

My two oldest do tumbling and love it. My oldest has some clumsiness that has gotten noticeably better and my middle has some pretty amazing athletic ability with strength and explosiveness, but she needs to work on flexibility.

My youngest is 5 and should be ready this fall or winter.