Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

10 hours ago, MWil23 said:

@ramssuperbowl99 great call too, thanks! This is week 7 and yeah a lot more sitting. I’ve been at least hitting my abs hard and some push ups too to break up the sedentary lifestyle, but clearly not enough of other things.

Time to dust off the old band and do some side to side I’m betting, maybe posture too.

That timeline fits, not saying it's that 100%, but probably at least part of it.

And dude It's the easiest thing to underestimate since it happens so gradually. Especially since you're doing compound lifts and working out it's easy to think that your abs/hips are good, but if your core work comes mostly from those short high intensity bursts, you're not training it to handle the low intensity, 8 hour day side of it.

The Bosu ball, exercise ball, bands, and Bowflex dumbbells were $600 total, cannot recommend enough for anyone that is working from home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

That timeline fits, not saying it's that 100%, but probably at least part of it.

And dude It's the easiest thing to underestimate since it happens so gradually. Especially since you're doing compound lifts and working out it's easy to think that your abs/hips are good, but if your core work comes mostly from those short high intensity bursts, you're not training it to handle the low intensity, 8 hour day side of it.

The Bosu ball, exercise ball, bands, and Bowflex dumbbells were $600 total, cannot recommend enough for anyone that is working from home.

I have the bowflex dumbbells and bands, just probably subconsciously crossing my ankles for extended periods of time.

Had a crap day on th3 deadlift failed to lift 135kg

I had been doing jumping exercises activating the gluten yesterday so I assume that is where the power was lost.

However did seated cable rows and it had increased my BP by 10kg and could have hit more. 

Consistently training 30-40 minutes 3 times a week has seen massive strength gains

• 2 weeks later...

I am not pleased with any triceps workouts other than pressdown, dips and one arm floor presses.

Tate press I'm meh on, but kickbacks are pointless. Triceps extensions messed up my back twice somehow (I think I just screwed myself there because of the bed I've been sleeping on). Close grip bench press I don't really want to do for my own reasons that don't make sense to anyone but me.

3 hours ago, MacReady said:

I am not pleased with any triceps workouts other than pressdown, dips and one arm floor presses.

Tate press I'm meh on, but kickbacks are pointless. Triceps extensions messed up my back twice somehow (I think I just screwed myself there because of the bed I've been sleeping on). Close grip bench press I don't really want to do for my own reasons that don't make sense to anyone but me.

I have always loved reverse bench and close grip. For some reason pressdowns are the only exercise that really irritate my elbows. Regardless of having my elbows wide or tucked tight to my sides, even if I do plenty of warm up sets. 

• 5 weeks later...

Finally recovered from leg day so instead of doing my daily walk of 40 minutes I did a nearly 4 mile jog with my dog at a slow pace. The pace was not intentionally that slow, but a Corgi/Australian Shepherd is a horrible choice for a jogging buddy. He kept pace for a mile and then became a fluffy log I was practically jogging in place next to for the last 3 miles. I'm tired but my shoulder is the only thing actually hurting on me. When he had enough he would just dead drop until I could get him moving again. Wrecked my shoulder a few times.  lol 

Question for those who will have a better understanding...

I have to have surgery soon and won't be able to lift heavy for a while.

Obviously I could just do a bunch more reps at the lighter weights, but I was curious if there was any advantage to just doing less reps and making them negatives?

20 hours ago, Forge said:

Obviously I could just do a bunch more reps at the lighter weights, but I was curious if there was any advantage to just doing less reps and making them negatives?

Are you talking about for the injured bodypart during recovery? Or now until surgery for the rest of the body? 

I'm always a fan of time under tension, the big thing is to make sure you can do it safely. Most of the muscular trauma is on the eccentric part of the lift so there shouldn't be a real big issue. For anything during recovery though I wouldn't add any sort of manner of adding intensity until fully cleared. I'm far from a doctor or physical therapist but I've had 3 ACL surgeries on my right knee and rehabbed a dislocated ankle on my left and I really feel like trying to push too hard during the recovery after my surgeries caused a lot of issues in my right knee. 

Edit - I'd rather my recovery take the normal time than push to get cleared faster only to re-aggravate the issue and start all over. I wish I had thought about that at 19 and 22. 

As my old contractor told us, "The more hurried-er you get, the behind-er you'll be." (He said it that way so we'd remember, he wasn't as dumb as he pretended to be   lol)

Edited by Sugashane
  • Like 1

On 10/11/2023 at 11:24 PM, Forge said:

What’s the surgery?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2023 at 9:25 PM, Sugashane said:

Finally recovered from leg day so instead of doing my daily walk of 40 minutes I did a nearly 4 mile jog with my dog at a slow pace. The pace was not intentionally that slow, but a Corgi/Australian Shepherd is a horrible choice for a jogging buddy. He kept pace for a mile and then became a fluffy log I was practically jogging in place next to for the last 3 miles. I'm tired but my shoulder is the only thing actually hurting on me. When he had enough he would just dead drop until I could get him moving again. Wrecked my shoulder a few times.  lol 

He just needs more practice to get the aerobic endurance up

Completely forgot to update here, but I completed with the Sprint (5k) and Super (10k) Spartan Races here in DC the second weekend of September.  The Super was definitely more of a cross-country course.  In both races, I completed about 66% of the obstacles, and even though I ran the Open group, I ran the penalty loops.  I finished in the top 11% of both races.  If I did the competitive age group, I would not have been in last.  I am doing the Beast (half marathon) in South Carolina in a month to complete the Trifecta, but I am definitely including trail running at least every other week, if not every week.  

Two weekends ago, I also completed my first full marathon in Baltimore.  I struggled with a pulled hamstring after the Spartans, and was wearing a compression sleeve for the race but I completed in four hours, fifteen minutes running about a 9:40/mile pace for the whole race.  I was ahead of that until the hills around miles 16/17.  Everyone’s time, including the folks in the top tier who Boston Qualified, fell right there.  I’m not signed up for the next marathon, but I did sign up for the same training group I did which was super helpful.  Going to try to get under four hours next time.  

Also, my girlfriend did a great job and got a four minute long video put together from friends and coworkers to encourage me the night before.  She also designed a t-shirt and kept it a secret from me.  She also brought my 96 year old grandmother along so she could see me at three spots on the course, including the finish.  

• Like 3