Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

7 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Took my son on my 4 mile jog. He's a hell of an athlete and has a really good work ethic, but we discovered he isn't a distance runner. Kid is pissed my big butt handles it better than him. He just doesn't know I was suffering and not showing it. I'm exhausted. Lol.

Like everything else, he’s got to train for it.  After my marathon training, I’ve also realized that my 5k time is suffering.  Probably going to do some faster training in between breaks.  I’m close to starting winter marathon training (running one early March in Florida) and then the Marine Corps Ultra at the end of October, so I’ll have some solid breaks in between,  

One of the things that impressed me the most is the people who walk half-marathons.  For the Baltimore Running Festival, they have to keep a 16 minute pace.  Even with the running I do, I can’t hold a 16 minute pace walking for more than two miles.  But as someone else told me, they’re training for that.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Like everything else, he’s got to train for it.  After my marathon training, I’ve also realized that my 5k time is suffering.  Probably going to do some faster training in between breaks.  I’m close to starting winter marathon training (running one early March in Florida) and then the Marine Corps Ultra at the end of October, so I’ll have some solid breaks in between,  

One of the things that impressed me the most is the people who walk half-marathons.  For the Baltimore Running Festival, they have to keep a 16 minute pace.  Even with the running I do, I can’t hold a 16 minute pace walking for more than two miles.  But as someone else told me, they’re training for that.  

True, but long distance isn't his game anyway, he is a sprinter naturally. And his sports are football, baseball, basketball and track. So explosion is everything for him.  I actually think next year he'll be able to outrun me in a sprint. Kids only 13.

I'm working on running for health reasons but I'm a bigger guy so I'm taking it really slow. Lifting already had a lot of stress on the joints so I don't want to over-do it. Last night was just for my ego. Lol

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been studying Vince Gironda for the past few months and experimenting with his diets and workouts. Different style than I am used to but it’s a fantastic break both physically and mentally from heavy lifting. Also allows for a higher frequency now that it’s getting cold and I won’t be active outside. 

Curious to see how I feel and if my strength numbers go up when I return. 

• Like 1

On 12/9/2023 at 6:51 AM, jetsfan4life51 said:

I’ve been studying Vince Gironda for the past few months and experimenting with his diets and workouts. Different style than I am used to but it’s a fantastic break both physically and mentally from heavy lifting. Also allows for a higher frequency now that it’s getting cold and I won’t be active outside. 

Curious to see how I feel and if my strength numbers go up when I return. 

Steak & eggs is the best.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So my knees and ankles have been hurting for a while. In my second week of deloading and it hasn't really gotten better. I think I'm going to start really focusing on mobility work. Maybe switch more back to olympic lifting and then just have one day for dedicated mobility/functional work. Be a big step away from what I've done a lot of lately (JTS and DC mostly).

Any recommendations? I've stolen some of the kneesovertoes guy's stuff for my kids, but aside from PVC work I haven't done much. Been doing VERY light snatches and overhead press squats for warm ups but I'm sure the actual lifts are going to be FUBAR'd. Lol

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody have any anecdotal, scientific or statistical opinions on working out in the morning or afternoon after work?

I’ve always been a morning workout person, but I missed my workout this morning and I’m doing it now and everything seems easier.

40 minutes ago, MacReady said:

Anybody have any anecdotal, scientific or statistical opinions on working out in the morning or afternoon after work?

I’ve always been a morning workout person, but I missed my workout this morning and I’m doing it now and everything seems easier.

Better to work out whenever sex drive is highest. 

Conditioning/metabolic work is best AM and strength is better in the afternoon/evening. 

My all time high on a Back Squat was at 8 PM at night f***ing around. Everything else was 10-15 lbs lighter. 

I can look for more scientific evidence if you’re interested. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MacReady said:

Just as a runner, I prefer to run in the mornings but sometimes it’s just not possible.  The evenings are easier, but I think I get better benefit from fasted runs.  

I also notice that I am more inclined to get “side stitches” if I run in the evening and for some reason didn‘t stay properly hydrated during the day.  That’s the biggest thing for me- if I’m doing work in the evening, even kickboxing that I sometimes do, I need to make sure I stay disciplined with hydration and nutrition.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MacReady said:

I prefer cardio in the AM and lifting late at night, purely anecdotal. 

Cardio gets me up and since I don't do actual long distances (mine is 2-3 miles usually, so a far cry from real runners) and it genuinely makes me feel better for the day. Feel more awake and alert for my work day, I allows me to listen to whatever podcast/youtube video/article I put together the might before. Honestly if I miss my morning routine M-Sat then my day isn't bad at all it just feels a bit off. I do cram too much into a day though so that may just be residual from that. That being said cardio on a treadmill or elliptical doesn't do it for me, I need to move outside. Is it due to daylight helping set my circadian clock, just because I find stationary cardio boring, or whatever? IDK. I never look forward to cardio but I'm always damn happy I did it when I'm jogging outside, but only happy its done when its stationary.

I prefer lifting late at night since I have a 24 hour gym by me. I struggle to fall asleep and am a damn light sleeper, so lifting wears me out. Get home, slam my shake, shower, quick night routine, and then crash. I definitely sleep better on workout days than I do my off days. I also structure my workouts ahead of time and really like knowing exactly what my goals are for lifts and weights, so not having to alter that due to equipment being used is a major plus for me. Also I'm never mean but when I'm in the gym I don't really want to talk while lifting. I go in, lift, time my rest periods, repeat until done. After I'm more than happy to talk but once I start my warm ups I have me headphones on and just go. 

I will say I have tried inverting them (lifting in the am and cardio at night) and I didn't like it near as much, especially if I have something to do on Saturday like working on the house or yard. I don't like trying to do physical labor and feeling a bit weak or shaky because I had a ME day with deads or a 20 rep squat day. I like to be in bed in less than an hour after lifting. 

• Like 3

On 12/11/2023 at 11:21 AM, Tetsujin said:

Steak & eggs is the best.

Every 3-4 months I do eggs and greens for 3-5 days to give my digestion a break. Helps clear up the pipes and then you get a strong taste for meat/protein back. That’s helped me lose quite a few lbs from the mid section. Way less bloat or garbage in my system now. 

My coach has been giving me Gironda workout progressions. I just had 15 sets of 4 reps with 30s rest. Front Squats I was wrecked. It was like I just sprinted for 15 minutes straight. But that was fun and challenging cardio. The upper body workouts I felt HUGE even though it wasn’t heavy or a “pump” from repping it out. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Every 3-4 months I do eggs and greens for 3-5 days to give my digestion a break. Helps clear up the pipes and then you get a strong taste for meat/protein back. That’s helped me lose quite a few lbs from the mid section. Way less bloat or garbage in my system now. 

My coach has been giving me Gironda workout progressions. I just had 15 sets of 4 reps with 30s rest. Front Squats I was wrecked. It was like I just sprinted for 15 minutes straight. But that was fun and challenging cardio. The upper body workouts I felt HUGE even though it wasn’t heavy or a “pump” from repping it out. 

I do the same about 2 times a year when I get done with a bulk or do a deload. Do a lot (3-4 per day is a lot for me) of protein shakes to keep my protein up and let the food volume go down. its crazy to see how much your waist goes down from a bulk to that. lol

Honestly seeing the scale slowly moving down has been kinda screwing with me, seeing the weights go down slightly really sucks (but not having any anxiety about setting PRs constantly is damn nice), but I'm at the point I want to bulk again. IDK when but I think this winter I may go full blown DC again. Use this year to really lower my bodyfat, do 6 week or so real diet, then try to take advantage of the rebound.

I'm sure I'll waffle on and off throughout the year. It'll be cool to be lean in the summer for a change, been a few years.

7 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I’ve never had bloating or any other issues eating red meat heavily. I go for fattier cuts though and drink a lot of water. If I want to give my body a break, I just fast.

On 11/23/2023 at 7:14 AM, naptownskinsfan said:

Heh, i have a good friend who was doing marathon training and he was doing some weird technique of "running slow" to be faster.  Just monitoring pace to keep his heart rate in a certain narrow, lower stress range or something.  And as a result, he ran way less mileage than normal and i wasn't even that far off from him.  Despite the fact he's a massively better distance runner and in way better shape and i honestly slacked hard this past year for some reason.  He said it was so ******* hard to restrain to that sort of pace, to try to gradually push it upward over time.  I don't have nearly the discipline for any of that.  lol.

On 11/23/2023 at 1:47 PM, Sugashane said:

True, but long distance isn't his game anyway, he is a sprinter naturally. And his sports are football, baseball, basketball and track. So explosion is everything for him.  I actually think next year he'll be able to outrun me in a sprint. Kids only 13.

I'm working on running for health reasons but I'm a bigger guy so I'm taking it really slow. Lifting already had a lot of stress on the joints so I don't want to over-do it. Last night was just for my ego. Lol

This is a big thing tbh.  You can train like crazy to be something else and it can have benefits, but at the end of the day...we're all just sorta genetically predisposed to certain aptitudes.  I'm definitely not a real "long distance runner" either.  I didn't get "sprinter" either though.  I got mostly that super unremarkable "medium" quick/long twitch mix.  Even in HS when i did track stuff, 400m was my jam.  Or some of the field sports.  But i wasn't winning any drag races to 100m and by 800m i was already waning.  lol.

My real sports were always hockey and football though.  

Where...not to sound cocky, but i might even be a 95th Percentile skater in the entire world population (thanks China lol).  But i'm still not like...outrageously fast in top speed or explosiveness.  Agility is my jam.  But it's largely technique, combined with a low center of gravity, balance, and that ability to translate momentum into 4-direction mobility.

Was always a similar thing with Football too.  I was great in space because everyone else was slow or small or soft or useless enough, so lateral mobility and just all around loose hips and change of direction ability was way more important than speed or endurance.  Close on runners or limp QB throws was too easy.  But i never had the true size or explosiveness to carry it to anything beyond that level.

Now i just run for health.  Burn calories.  Improve that cardiovascular health.  But despite urges from my stupid natural distance runner buddy (who just does distance skiing in the winter and also cycles like a million miles every summer), i really just understand my niche.  I've got some pretty standard 5k, 7k, 10k loops i'll run.  5k are for days when i maybe drank too much the night before and want to cut it short.  7k is...i've got a few different loops about that length and that's my comfort zone of pushing so i'm dead tired at the end and feel like i've done something.  10k is...i'm trying to really push it, but i'll probably burn out for an extra rest day afterwards.

But i've been really slacking in general for the last while and it sucks.  Stress that is completely unrelated just has a way of working it's way in and i hate that i'm not better at overcoming it.  Had some legit excuses when it was like -40something for a while and stuff.  And i've been on the road a lot over that span.  But still feels bad.

On 1/23/2024 at 3:47 PM, MacReady said:

Anecdotally...if i don't run first thing after i wake up.  The likelihood of it happens drops exponentially.

On 1/24/2024 at 9:44 AM, Sugashane said:

I prefer cardio in the AM and lifting late at night, purely anecdotal. 

Cardio gets me up and since I don't do actual long distances (mine is 2-3 miles usually, so a far cry from real runners) and it genuinely makes me feel better for the day. Feel more awake and alert for my work day, I allows me to listen to whatever podcast/youtube video/article I put together the might before. Honestly if I miss my morning routine M-Sat then my day isn't bad at all it just feels a bit off. I do cram too much into a day though so that may just be residual from that. That being said cardio on a treadmill or elliptical doesn't do it for me, I need to move outside. Is it due to daylight helping set my circadian clock, just because I find stationary cardio boring, or whatever? IDK. I never look forward to cardio but I'm always damn happy I did it when I'm jogging outside, but only happy its done when its stationary.

I prefer lifting late at night since I have a 24 hour gym by me. I struggle to fall asleep and am a damn light sleeper, so lifting wears me out. Get home, slam my shake, shower, quick night routine, and then crash. I definitely sleep better on workout days than I do my off days. I also structure my workouts ahead of time and really like knowing exactly what my goals are for lifts and weights, so not having to alter that due to equipment being used is a major plus for me. Also I'm never mean but when I'm in the gym I don't really want to talk while lifting. I go in, lift, time my rest periods, repeat until done. After I'm more than happy to talk but once I start my warm ups I have me headphones on and just go. 

I will say I have tried inverting them (lifting in the am and cardio at night) and I didn't like it near as much, especially if I have something to do on Saturday like working on the house or yard. I don't like trying to do physical labor and feeling a bit weak or shaky because I had a ME day with deads or a 20 rep squat day. I like to be in bed in less than an hour after lifting. 

Definitely agree with this stuff.  Running fasted, first thing is the most rewarding.  As long as you can fit it in.  Just kicks the day off like, "whatever happens from here, i already ran 7k and i feel fine".  Lifting...i think that can kind of move around, but it definitely makes sense that pm would be better.  More fuel and more awake.

My circadian rhythms always just get jacked right the **** up every winter anyway though.  It's hard when the sun doesn't rise until like 9am and sets by like 4pm.  There's something about waking in the dark, riding to work in the dark, spending the day inside, then riding home in the dark and going to sleep in the dark that just messes with your internal clock.  My brain clock gets all messed up at least.  Doesn't get better when it's the opposite mid-summer either.  "Oh it's 11pm?  But the sun is just setting"  and then bombarded 5 hours later by Sunrise.  I should really just move back to somewhere that makes more ******* sense.

• Like 1