Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

5 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

I used to run cross country in HS and could easily run under a 6-minute mile. I'm now opposed to any kind of distance running.

Doing lifelong distance running makes one a physically weaker, less robust version of oneself, can prematurely age and keeps cortisol levels high. My father particularly had wrecked his body after 2 decades of marathon running and being a triathlete. 

One doesn't need to be a runner to not get easily winded. Doing some sprints twice a week, powerwalking regularly, metabolic conditioning, sports, or just being active with a proper diet should be enough.

I've played the "tempo lifting" game for a couple of years now, where I essentially do zero rest between sets, doing cycles with my Olympic lifts, trying to maximize my HR and get my workout in within 25-45 minutes, while then biking a time or two a week with some other light cardio like going for a walk.

My resting HR yesterday was 64 BPM and despite me not being a runner/athlete anymore, this is arguably the best cardio shape I've ever been in.

2 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

I used to run cross country in HS and could easily run under a 6-minute mile. I'm now opposed to any kind of distance running.

Doing lifelong distance running makes one a physically weaker, less robust version of oneself, can prematurely age and keeps cortisol levels high. My father particularly had wrecked his body after 2 decades of marathon running and being a triathlete. 

One doesn't need to be a runner to not get easily winded. Doing some sprints twice a week, powerwalking regularly, metabolic conditioning, sports, or just being active with a proper diet should be enough.

I never said anything about distance running and would never. 2 miles max for me, and I prefer just one mile while increasing the incline and decreasing the time.

Some days I shoot for 15 minutes at a high incline, some days I go flat incline.

One day a week I shoot for 2 miles, the rest I go the first mile as hard as I can and then usually cool down for a quarter mile.

On 4/13/2023 at 6:57 PM, jetsfan4life51 said:

I once asked someone if he knew how to spot a Front Squat and would be comfortable and he said yes. I failed and he didn’t help, when I threw the bar forward I fell backwards on top of him and was like wtf dude and he said he didn’t know how to spot. Lol

As someone who employs a lot of teenagers, I find this to be a common theme.  They say yes, but really have no clue what to do.  It is almost like they are afraid to ask questions.  Eventually we break most of the on that habit but it’s tough going at the beginning. 

On 4/14/2023 at 6:13 PM, D82 said:

What's the best fat burn/muscle building protein supplement you can buy? 

I used to use the Muscle Milk powder way back but...wasn't sure if there was something new out.

I don't really se it as a fat burn product but I always get the Whey Protein Isolate Cold-Filtration from TrueNutition. Been using them since they were called TrueProtein way back.

30g protein, 1 g carbs, and you can customize it however you want. Only comes out to like $1.50 per serving. The Whey Protein Isolate is like $1 per serving and tastes really good too, but I have kind of a sissy stomach when it comes to digesting these things. The Cold-Filtration one bloats really little. And it doesn't really get much more pure protein than a 30/1 protein-to-carb ratio that I know of.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I don't really se it as a fat burn product but I always get the Whey Protein Isolate Cold-Filtration from TrueNutition. Been using them since they were called TrueProtein way back.

30g protein, 1 g carbs, and you can customize it however you want. Only comes out to like $1.50 per serving. The Whey Protein Isolate is like $1 per serving and tastes really good too, but I have kind of a sissy stomach when it comes to digesting these things. The Cold-Filtration one bloats really little. And it doesn't really get much more pure protein than a 30/1 protein-to-carb ratio that I know of.

Thanks! I'll have to order some and see how it does.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2023 at 8:37 AM, naptownskinsfan said:

As someone who employs a lot of teenagers, I find this to be a common theme.  They say yes, but really have no clue what to do.  It is almost like they are afraid to ask questions.  Eventually we break most of the on that habit but it’s tough going at the beginning. 

True of many adults as well

• Like 1

Had to finish up my 10 day rest. Lower back, hips, legs, wrist all barking at me a bit. I ordered some new shoes to help with my base and core, so back at it today. Weight stayed the same so that’s a plus considering the layoff.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2023 at 7:11 AM, MWil23 said:

Had to finish up my 10 day rest. Lower back, hips, legs, wrist all barking at me a bit. I ordered some new shoes to help with my base and core, so back at it today. Weight stayed the same so that’s a plus considering the layoff.

Just got two new running shoes, can never argue with getting something new.  

Also just ran in my old ones for three miles on Monday, and I could tell they were on their last legs.  Definitely can’t skimp on making sure the feet are taken care of.  

• Like 1

Anyone use a regular-sized adult trampoline for exercise? I just bought one for my 1-year old son (really I bought it for me to get nostalgic) and have noticed how ehxausting it is. Thought I was gonna die after jumping for 4-5 minutes. Did some Googling and apparently jumping for 5 minutes is the equivalent of running a mile.

Bench press question: My left shoulder is destroyed. I don't think I can bench press regularly anymore. Anybody got any workouts for chest that don't put a lot of strain on the shoulder joint? Seems like the answer would be "no." I've found that Machine Chest Flys don't cause as much stress...anything else?

3 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Anyone use a regular-sized adult trampoline for exercise? I just bought one for my 1-year old son (really I bought it for me to get nostalgic) and have noticed how ehxausting it is. Thought I was gonna die after jumping for 4-5 minutes. Did some Googling and apparently jumping for 5 minutes is the equivalent of running a mile.

Bench press question: My left shoulder is destroyed. I don't think I can bench press regularly anymore. Anybody got any workouts for chest that don't put a lot of strain on the shoulder joint? Seems like the answer would be "no." I've found that Machine Chest Flys don't cause as much stress...anything else?

Inverted push ups (on a bench or platform) with your elbows at a 90 degree angle are good. 

Incline dumbbell presses take some strain off.

Cable Cross-overs

Floor dumbbell flies

Seated chest press

All of those "incline" movements really take a lot of pressure off, and the floor dumbbell flies help you to stop laterally instead of getting back too far on that interior chest/shoulder area.

• Like 2

On 3/24/2023 at 8:21 AM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Today sucks.

Did my inBody scan again this morning since it's been 4 weeks since my last one. Body fat went up almost 1%, weight is up almost 1lb, muscle mass is down. Basically everything is slightly worse than it was 4 weeks ago.

The strange part is that my lifts have gone up consistently, I can see the difference in my body, my peloton ride numbers have skyrocketed and I'm still riding 4-5 days/week, and my nutrition has been consistent as well.

I know a piece of paper and some numbers shouldn't dictate your mood or deter you like this but goddamn it sucks looking at that and thinking I haven't made progress in 4 weeks...

So update on this..

Did my 4 week scan this morning:

• Body fat down to 15.2% (drop of 2.6%)
  • Weight up to 184.8 (up 3lbs)
  • muscle mass up almost 5lbs

Couldn't feel better about myself right now. Didn't really alter much over the past 4 weeks, but went a little stricter with my diet, went much harder at the gym (part of it was that this 4 week program was much harder than the last one, I think. The carries and leg days were brutal), and started creatine again 2 weeks ago.

#FeelsGoodMan

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls
  • Like 5

On 4/19/2023 at 10:00 AM, BetterCallSaul said:

I got one after reading that and seeing a few people using them on TikTok. It gets hot and humid down here during the summer, and since we're right on the Gulf the mosquitos are awful. I hate putting on bug spray so figured that would be a great way to get my "walk" in without getting accosted.

On 4/15/2023 at 7:23 PM, Sugashane said:

So I ordered the Cookie Butter one and it finally got here yesterday. Mixed it up with some milk, ice cream, peanut butter and some fruit. Tastes really good! 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, D82 said:

I got one after reading that and seeing a few people using them on TikTok. It gets hot and humid down here during the summer, and since we're right on the Gulf the mosquitos are awful. I hate putting on bug spray so figured that would be a great way to get my "walk" in without getting accosted.

So I ordered the Cookie Butter one and it finally got here yesterday. Mixed it up with some milk, ice cream, peanut butter and some fruit. Tastes really good! 

Let me know how the bug avoidance works.  Being right on the Chesapeake Bay is very similar, and while it doesn’t affect my runs, some of the walks in the evening are brutal. 

59 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Let me know how the bug avoidance works.  Being right on the Chesapeake Bay is very similar, and while it doesn’t affect my runs, some of the walks in the evening are brutal. 

Mosquitos never bothered me when I lived in Maryland. 

I don't know what the deal is with the ones down here, but they suck.