Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I know IF is the rage but it’s not great for everyone. Especially someone who is stressed.

As someone who could do one meal a day forever and be happy as can be, I agree with this wholeheartedly. People should try it, and see how they respond. If someone finds themselves getting into a fast/binge cycle, or they're miserable/irritable, or their health gets worse, it's not for them. Nevermind all the obvious cases where it's clearly impossible like a Type 1 diabetic.

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Everyone should be having big breakfasts, heavy on the protein and fats then taper down. 

This is disagree with. People's goals are different. I'm not eating for athletic performance or gains, I'm eating to balance calorie count, happiness, and health.

If I was still competing at a high level or I wanted to start going for distance runs in the morning, yeah, very different conversation, since the needs and goals are totally different.

• Like 3

Did IF for a year, developed an eating disorder (horrific tunnel vision binges). Not saying it’s bad, but it wasn’t for me. Definitely had it in me to begin with though. I did lean out whilst I was in control of it though 

Edited by Hunter2_1

I liked intermittent fasting. I don’t like eating period, so it worked really well for me. I was just nervous about going into starvation mode like someone here suggested. I think it must have happened somewhere in there because I ate little other than cabbage soup yesterday and I jumped a full fat percentage. I’ve also slowed way down on dropping the fat percentage, so something definitely broke for me.

I was really hoping I could get to that 17% body fat percentage before I slowed my pace, but I just don’t think that’s gonna happen. I’ll probably go back to a high lean protein and beneficial fats only diet and extend this out to July to reach my goals.

Loads of chicken, fish, avocado, turkey, rice and beans. Will snack exclusively on leafy greens and cucumber/onion/vinegar at night and probably ween myself off of alcohol completely by measuring out my vodka consumption until I’m down to none. Just drink Zevia and carbonated water with lemon/lime.

I wanted to do June, but I always go way too extreme and burn myself out.

I was doing a cheat day for every body fat percentage I dropped. I’ll probably change that to a cheat day every Sunday.

I've been thinking about doing a DXA scan once a year. I think it'd be cool to know plus I think it'd help provide extra motivation for my inconsistent diet. Any thoughts on RMR analysis, VO2max test, or 3D body scans?

I feel like the RMR may be good for a one time thing so I can better plan out my diet that I probably won't follow.

VO2max seems like a waste for me personally since it's on my apple watch.

3D body scan I just don't know. Maybe do it once a year with DXA?

Today sucks.

Did my inBody scan again this morning since it's been 4 weeks since my last one. Body fat went up almost 1%, weight is up almost 1lb, muscle mass is down. Basically everything is slightly worse than it was 4 weeks ago.

The strange part is that my lifts have gone up consistently, I can see the difference in my body, my peloton ride numbers have skyrocketed and I'm still riding 4-5 days/week, and my nutrition has been consistent as well.

I know a piece of paper and some numbers shouldn't dictate your mood or deter you like this but goddamn it sucks looking at that and thinking I haven't made progress in 4 weeks...

22 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Today sucks.

Did my inBody scan again this morning since it's been 4 weeks since my last one. Body fat went up almost 1%, weight is up almost 1lb, muscle mass is down. Basically everything is slightly worse than it was 4 weeks ago.

The strange part is that my lifts have gone up consistently, I can see the difference in my body, my peloton ride numbers have skyrocketed and I'm still riding 4-5 days/week, and my nutrition has been consistent as well.

I know a piece of paper and some numbers shouldn't dictate your mood or deter you like this but goddamn it sucks looking at that and thinking I haven't made progress in 4 weeks...

Might stick now but fitness and diet has never been linear for me.  I find I do a LOT of rebounds that over a month or so almost always have some sort of progress.  

Plus you did make progress in your ride numbers.  It wasn't the set of numbers you hoped for but still made significant improvement in one regardless at least.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Today sucks.

Sorry man. I’d encourage you in that often times we are our own worst critics, and aside from that, ask yourself if you’ve been sleeping well, under more stress than normal, etc.

Those factors are absolutely a reality that go a bit beyond things that are critical including diet and exercise.

That said, I get that it sucks and it’s okay to be disappointed. It’s frustrating putting in work and seeing a setback of any kind.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 1:32 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This is disagree with. People's goals are different. I'm not eating for athletic performance or gains, I'm eating to balance calorie count, happiness, and health.

This was my biggest obstacle post college that really put me through a 4+ year window of struggling with motivation to workout. I was no longer training for anything and had no motivation or desire to do anything like that because I lost focus and had to essentially hit the reset button on my goals.

Watching my wife give me the side eye this morning post stationary bike doesn’t hurt either. I also had to realize that reinforcing positive habits with my kids and explaining to them that we exercise “to be healthy” was a huge benefit for me in terms of overall body health mindset that goes beyond a number on the scale, albeit that’s important to a degree.

For a while I was the guy who “hid weight well” and lied to myself on BMI more than I wanted to admit per @LETSGOBROWNIES point a few months ago.

People commented on my broad shoulders and said things like how I looked like a catcher (I was) or hockey player (wake up call). Turns out that when you are 5’10 and weigh 185-190, that’s great when you workout 6 days a week at 2-3 hours a clip. When you are in your 30s smashing snacks and hitting it 1-3 days a week for 20-30 minutes a pop, doing leg day about once a month, apparently that’s not good weight for some reason, as my cholesterol skyrocketed to 224. Harvard should probably do a study on it.

• Like 4

On 3/24/2023 at 10:21 AM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Basically everything is slightly worse than it was 4 weeks ago.

How about your resting heart rate or blood pressure?

Would be surprised to see the cardio benefits you've gotten without some change to your CV system.

And if life is getting considerably easier for your body because you're in better shape, it may not need all that muscle you've had to put on. Hence the "no progress".

5 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Might stick now but fitness and diet has never been linear for me.  I find I do a LOT of rebounds that over a month or so almost always have some sort of progress.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

How about your resting heart rate or blood pressure?

No clue I don't really measure those things. Probably a slight uptick in stress and slight downtick in sleep the past 4 weeks but I've tried to even that out this past week.

6 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Would be surprised to see the cardio benefits you've gotten without some change to your CV system.

And if life is getting considerably easier for your body because you're in better shape, it may not need all that muscle you've had to put on. Hence the "no progress".

If I'm plateuing already I'm gonna be piiiiiiiiissed lol

On 3/25/2023 at 6:38 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

No clue I don't really measure those things. Probably a slight uptick in stress and slight downtick in sleep the past 4 weeks but I've tried to even that out this past week.

If I'm plateuing already I'm gonna be piiiiiiiiissed lol

If your cardio is improving you aren't plateauing.

Well, I went ahead and did it.  I signed up for the Savage Race Syndicate here in Maryland on May 20th.  I’ll be running both the 10k and 5k in the same day, 45-ish obstacles in total.  

Then on September 16th and 17th, I have the Spartan Super and Sprint respectively.  Going to do the Trifecta with a Beast a month after my marathon on November 18th in South Carolina.  

• Like 2

On 4/2/2023 at 7:25 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

Well, I went ahead and did it.  I signed up for the Savage Race Syndicate here in Maryland on May 20th.  I’ll be running both the 10k and 5k in the same day, 45-ish obstacles in total.  

Then on September 16th and 17th, I have the Spartan Super and Sprint respectively.  Going to do the Trifecta with a Beast a month after my marathon on November 18th in South Carolina.  

I hate cardio so this shocked me.

gabriel-iglesias-smh.gif

Really though best of luck man. I've had a lot going on in my home the last week so I haven't lifted in almost a week and a half and feel like crap. The idea of like 8-9 miles just seems like a nightmare for me. lol 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I hate cardio so this shocked me.

gabriel-iglesias-smh.gif

Really though best of luck man. I've had a lot going on in my home the last week so I haven't lifted in almost a week and a half and feel like crap. The idea of like 8-9 miles just seems like a nightmare for me. lol 

I am a couple half marathons and 10ks in…..I am more concerned with the obstacles and grip strength than anything else.  The running should be a breeze.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I am a couple half marathons and 10ks in…..I am more concerned with the obstacles and grip strength than anything else.  The running should be a breeze.  

I'm down in weight but still 262-266 lbs. Running isn't a breeze for me, I just make a breeze when I run. Lol

Side note- Towel pull ups are amazing for grip strength. 

• Like 2