Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

On 2/9/2023 at 7:55 AM, minutemancl said:

A guy yesterday got me so mad. Loaded up 405 on the squat rack- nice, good for you dude. Then proceeded to rep out 3 of the most BS squats I've ever seen. Barely bent his knees.

That dude is definitely going around talking about how he reps 405 when I don't even think he could hit 225 for actual back squats. Yes, it made me irrationally angry.

So far, I've seen more guys do awful, BS squats than I have seen guys who actually hit depth.

Just reading this made me sigh out loud. It still baffles me to this day that people can watch real lifters - powerlifters, bodybuilders, strongmen, Olympic lifters - and see the common depth of 90 or better, then STILL have the balls to think they're doing the same thing with 1/8 rep squats. 

20 hours ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

The bolded has been one of the crazier shifts I've seen, when I think back to when I first started lifting weights (≈2000) to the present.  It gives me mixed feelings.  I enjoy seeing younger people embrace legs much more than my generation did.  That's a positive change, but they're irritating as hell, about it.  The short shorts with the quad flexing in the mirror. The constant lingering around the racks.  The talk the culture has brought.  The sheer amount of people you see doing what you're describing vs in the past.  That all drives me crazy, and makes me feel like a grumpy old man.  The chest day rush, with the quarter rep bench, has been replaced with the quarter squats, but everyone is wearing neon and filming themselves lmao.  It feels like it would be a positive change, but I think I'd rather see douchey lifters swarm the flat benches than the racks/platforms.  They were easier to work around.

See this is different for me. We did a lot of deads, squats, bench and cleans for football and other sports when I started, and all we cared about was the total. We did totals with them just like powerlifting but with cleans added. Had 1 rep totals through 5 rep totals and we had to turn them in after every lifting session (of course almost all of them were with inflated numbers too 😅). Our coach didn't know much about lifting but knew about how important progressive overload was, even bought a bunch of weighted wristbands that roughly weighed 1.25 lbs so we could make smaller jumps if we needed.

I'm not judging them for neon, I don't want to be judged for the stupid crap I wore so I just keep quiet. I'm just glad we didn't have social media floating these pics around. lol

At my gym the younger guys are doing more upper body and trying to show off their arms. Almost always have a squat rack available.

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

What’s wrong with short shorts? Lol

Nothing lol.  I was just pointing out the discrepancy across the eras.  When I first got in the gym, everyone raced to the benches, and one man's shorts could provide the fabric to make the shorts of all 8 kids huddled around the squat rack today.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

Nothing lol.  I was just pointing out the discrepancy across the eras.  When I first got in the gym, everyone raced to the benches, and one man's shorts could provide the fabric to make the shorts of all 8 kids huddled around the squat rack today.  

What's funny to me and other dudes my age is, when we were in college, nobody had gym shorts with pockets...nobody.

Today, you have that as a "MUST" for phones...albeit now with wireless earbuds, that's decreasing a bit. My "to the knee" shorts with "room in the thigh" date me more than how I look tbh.

I also have always had a weird build...the old "catcher thighs" but long waisted/short legs and a slender waist, so I needed a size up in the thigh section for breathing room or else I'd feel exposed/vulnerable somehow.

...if shorter shorts was "in" when I was in college, I'd ironically have gotten a lot more looks.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

What's funny to me and other dudes my age is, when we were in college, nobody had gym shorts with pockets...nobody.

Today, you have that as a "MUST" for phones...albeit now with wireless earbuds, that's decreasing a bit. My "to the knee" shorts with "room in the thigh" date me more than how I look tbh.

I also have always had a weird build...the old "catcher thighs" but long waisted/short legs and a slender waist, so I needed a size up in the thigh section for breathing room or else I'd feel exposed/vulnerable somehow.

...if shorter shorts was "in" when I was in college, I'd ironically have gotten a lot more looks.

Yeah, the shorts have come a long way.  We didn't really have gym shorts.  Everyone was just in massive basketball shorts.  

31 minutes ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

Yeah, the shorts have come a long way.  We didn't really have gym shorts.  Everyone was just in massive basketball shorts.  

Yep.  When I was in high school if you wore shorts that didn’t go below your knees you were gonna hear some jokes.

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Next you're gonna tell me my jncos are out of style too:

Export182364.jpg?v=1639003022

1. I thankfully never wore those...I wore these:

2211_BLDM_500_2.jpg

Never knew when you'd need that extra slot for a tack hammer or the spare screwdriver walking around high school in the suburbs

2. I still wear high tops while lifting due to an irrational sense of need of ankle support

3. I don't really have a third point but thought it was necessary to have one

• Like 3

23 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yep.  When I was in high school if you wore shorts that didn’t go below your knees you were gonna hear some jokes.

That's a thing today too. My son's teammates all try to razz him for wearing shorts that don't go below the knee. He says they're basically just wearing skirts at this point. Said they go really well with their blouses. 

Those years of trash talking with me for fun is paying off. Not helping keep friends but establishing dominance at least. Lol

• Like 1

I need some major help guys.

This September I had to start lifting after work 3 PM. I lose a lot of calories doing cardio and lifting that I am so hungry afterwards and over eat. I have my two biggest meals after and I still am starving. I eat low calorie food to help compensate but it is not working. And during the day my calorie count is very low with no room to wiggle.

1 hour ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I need some major help guys.

This September I had to start lifting after work 3 PM. I lose a lot of calories doing cardio and lifting that I am so hungry afterwards and over eat. I have my two biggest meals after and I still am starving. I eat low calorie food to help compensate but it is not working. And during the day my calorie count is very low with no room to wiggle.

What are your goals and are you tracking?

My "cheat" post lift was a low calorie but high carb oatmeal with bananas and honey snack. The honey is 60 calories for a TBSP, the serving of oatmeal is 150 calories, and a large banana is about 100-120 calories. It filled me up and helped me refuel a bit.

Find protein rich foods that are higher in fiber like beans was also a positive for me in meals, as were healthy starches like potatoes and sweet potatoes.