Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

16 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Personally, I wear my Altamas or my Converse when doing any leg day stuff. No clue if those would help with curling.

Converse would make good curling shoes because they are flat, but I personally just don't find them comfortable. I'm also looking for something with a heel lift. 

16 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

What's everyones opinions taking preworkout while fasting? Lots of mixed opinions on line. I assume it would kick me out of the autophagy process which isn't great, but man do I just feel flat lifting without pre.

I think I'm just kinda "out of that phase" in my lifting life. I drink black coffee before workouts...which kinda gives you the same vibe. 

A pre-workout more or less removes you from that "fasting" state, so that defeats the purpose. When you lift on a fast, your body utilizes all of your energy and testosterone into the workout as opposed to breaking down your food, so as soon as you do that pre-workout, if it's over 25 calories, you've broken your fast and your body is no longer in a fasting state.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I think I'm just kinda "out of that phase" in my lifting life. I drink black coffee before workouts...which kinda gives you the same vibe. 

A pre-workout more or less removes you from that "fasting" state, so that defeats the purpose. When you lift on a fast, your body utilizes all of your energy and testosterone into the workout as opposed to breaking down your food, so as soon as you do that pre-workout, if it's over 25 calories, you've broken your fast and your body is no longer in a fasting state.

Thanks! That's what I figured. Unfortunately for myself I don't drink coffee (I know, I'm a witch) so I'll stick to my water. Meh.

1 minute ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Thanks! That's what I figured. Unfortunately for myself I don't drink coffee (I know, I'm a witch) so I'll stick to my water. Meh.

A pre-workout isn't a bad thing, don't get me wrong. It's just that I'd recommend eating if you are going to utilize it, because the "on a fast" portion doesn't reap the same benefit for the above reasons.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

What's everyones opinions taking preworkout while fasting? Lots of mixed opinions on line. I assume it would kick me out of the autophagy process which isn't great, but man do I just feel flat lifting without pre.

This is just me...

I fast and I don't take pre-workout simply because I've never felt like I need it. The only thing I do every morning before lifting is each 1/2 a banana on the way to the gym and then some water throughout my workout.

To each his own, though.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2023 at 1:16 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

So I've been working out again for 4 weeks and today was our inBody check in and I hit a few milestones that I'm really proud of:

• 17 Peloton rides this month out of 25 available days (I've also taken 3 off-days) and I just broke 200 output for the first time on my ride last night
  • down 2.4% body fat (started at 21.6 down to 19.2)
  • up almost 3lbs of muscle mass
  • weight went up by .2lbs which I'm happy with since I'm comfortable around 185 anyways so I'm happy there

Most importantly, I haven't had any chronic back pain in over 3 weeks now, which is why I've been doing all of this.

At the start of January, well actually I guess it was back in November/December, I had really bad bilateral sciatica in both legs/my lower back that was preventing me from working full days, sitting more than 15 minutes without pain, and bending over. After I made teh choice to invest in lifting, the peloton, and massages/stretching/chiro routine - holy **** has it made a difference. I had completely forgotten what it was like to walk around normally, get up from sitting without looking like the alien guy from Men In Black trying to walk around because I couldn't stretch out my right leg, and bending over without having to compensate.

Anyways, just really happy with my progress so far.

You still WFH? Might be time to invest in an ergonomic office. One of the better purchases I've made was this chair: https://store.hermanmiller.com/office-chairs-aeron/aeron-chair/2195348.html?lang=en_US

And I got this inversion table too, was absolutely worth the $100. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083VVXSG8/ref=emc_b_5_t?th=1

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You still WFH? Might be time to invest in an ergonomic office. One of the better purchases I've made was this chair: https://store.hermanmiller.com/office-chairs-aeron/aeron-chair/2195348.html?lang=en_US

And I got this inversion table too, was absolutely worth the $100. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083VVXSG8/ref=emc_b_5_t?th=1

Herman Millers are great. You can find them for half, or even less, of retail price if you buy used from an office furniture warehouse. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

That was actually the first investment I made, I got an adjustable desk then completely gave up an office chair for a physio ball thinking it would help stabilize my core and help my back. The ball hasn't helped, so I basically just stand all day at my desk and when I need to not stand, I lay on my bed for 15-20 mins and take a break.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

What does being middle aged feel like?

It feels like me here 7 years ago makes fun of you for this...me today with both links:

rick.jpg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

That was actually the first investment I made, I got an adjustable desk then completely gave up an office chair for a physio ball thinking it would help stabilize my core and help my back. The ball hasn't helped, so I basically just stand all day at my desk and when I need to not stand, I lay on my bed for 15-20 mins and take a break.

Almost exactly a year ago Christmas, I built my wife a standing desk for her office. She's all in on it. If I start WFH, I'm going to have to make a list of necessities.

I'm thinking:

*Noise cancelling headphones

*Some type of chair

*I'm going to make myself a desk

Any other recommendations?

On 1/30/2023 at 4:24 PM, Heimdallr said:

Does anyone have any weightlifting shoe recommendations, or have experience with the Adipower 3? I need new curling shoes made, and weightlifting shoes are the best to convert.

On 1/30/2023 at 4:37 PM, kingseanjohn said:

Personally, I wear my Altamas or my Converse when doing any leg day stuff. No clue if those would help with curling.

Ironically I always stick with my Nike basketball leather shoes that are mid to high tops. Massive arch and ankle support for leg day since I'm flat footed with chronic knee pain...it helps give me a super firm base.