Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

LOL

At this point in my life, I've decided maintaining a "leaner" look is easier for me. I intermittent fast 6-7 days a week and do a higher protein and higher fat diet with lower carbs, but then I eat "what I want" on the weekends for 2 of those meals. I'm sure if I cut down on that I'd probably get a bit more chiseled, but I honestly am a bit of a foodie, so I exercise and diet to stay healthy so that I can enjoy those "good food meals".

I weighed in at 269 Sunday but I'm aiming for 1-2 lbs per week. So I'm a long way from "lean." LOL

I'm definitely a foodie too, and I do 16/8 intermittent fasting 4 days per week (3 12 hour shifts and Sunday since football is over). Makes it easier to eat dinner with the family, but I try to end every night with broccoli or cauliflower. Between the high fiber and minimal cals i eat a whole bag and dont even care. Lately I've been drizzling some garlic hotsauce meant for wings on them and been loving it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

I weighed in at 269 Sunday but I'm aiming for 1-2 lbs per week. So I'm a long way from "lean." LOL

I'm right at 170, but I'm only 5'10 and 1/2. My college playing weight my sophomore year was 190+ and my senior year was the best "shape" I've been in at 188. The appropriate combination of lean meets bulk. I also had 2-3 hours to live in the gym back in college. Now I'm playing the 5-6 days a week game with some biking mixed in where I am prioritizing being a healthy guy who is an amazing husband/father because I don't have that kind of time to just live in the gym anymore.

I'm definitely a foodie too, and I do 16/8 intermittent fasting

Spider-Man Reaction GIF

4 days per week (3 12 hour shifts and Sunday since football is over). Makes it easier to eat dinner with the family, but I try to end every night with broccoli or cauliflower. Between the high fiber and minimal cals i eat a whole bag and dont even care. Lately I've been drizzling some garlic hotsauce meant for wings on them and been loving it. 

Very cool! Typically my "big meal" is dinner and I break my fast with apple and almonds, usually a lighter lunch of leftovers and usually lower carb up until dinner. And yeah, using wing sauces on about everything is an easy way to feed that inner foodie while dodging the calories, good call!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'm right at 170, but I'm only 5'10 and 1/2. My college playing weight my sophomore year was 190+ and my senior year was the best "shape" I've been in at 188. The appropriate combination of lean meets bulk. I also had 2-3 hours to live in the gym back in college. Now I'm playing the 5-6 days a week game with some biking mixed in where I am prioritizing being a healthy guy who is an amazing husband/father because I don't have that kind of time to just live in the gym anymore.

I'm 6'4" so it was stretched out but yeah, my playing weight was 215-220. I was the classic big white possession WR.  

I enjoyed DC training a lot but mentally it wore me the hell out. Trying to get PRs on EVERY lift, EVERY day, or 2.5 LB (yes I bought 1.25 lb plates) jumps 20 rep squats every time i did it? That **** caused so much anxiety. 🤣  I looked at cruises like vacations. 

13 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Spider-Man Reaction GIF

Very cool! Typically my "big meal" is dinner and I break my fast with apple and almonds, usually a lighter lunch of leftovers and usually lower carb up until dinner. And yeah, using wing sauces on about everything is an easy way to feed that inner foodie while dodging the calories, good call!

I cheat and use coffee and diet soda too much,  but I've never liked really eating  with coffee. 

I usually break my fast with a small bit of meat. I make jerky a lot, my last batch was with ground beef. Makes a mess (cheap fatty beef, lower fat would cut that down a lot) and you have to really pile in the seasonings but damn they are good. My kids like to use the jerky gun too. Lol 

• Like 1

@Sugashane I drink 2 cups of black coffee every morning on a fast, so I don't count that at all, and it may as well function as a preworkout for me as well.

My smoker has been a positive game changer for me on the foodie counts. Tuesday I smoked an entire pork butt and that was dinner plus will be dinner tonight and leftovers tomorrow.

EASY to do low carb on days like that! :) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

@Sugashane I drink 2 cups of black coffee every morning on a fast, so I don't count that at all, and it may as well function as a preworkout for me as well.

My smoker has been a positive game changer for me on the foodie counts. Tuesday I smoked an entire pork butt and that was dinner plus will be dinner tonight and leftovers tomorrow.

EASY to do low carb on days like that! :) 

Umm... I have the 30oz Slumberjack thermos and drink 2 of it per day on my fasts, one otherwise... or two anyway. It's not a problem, I just love pressed coffee Lol. 

I've been doing a lot of snacking on veggies. This ranch is great. I always switch it up a little, threw some extra Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning and some horseradish and it was AMAZING on the chicken I grilled a week or two ago. Homemade potatoes chips, plain veggies, salad, baked potatoes, whatever. It's been great on everything so far. 

https://showmetheyummy.com/homemade-greek-yogurt-ranch-dressing/#recipe

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Umm... I have the 30oz Slumberjack thermos and drink 2 of it per day on my fasts, one otherwise... or two anyway. It's not a problem, I just love pressed coffee Lol. 

I've been doing a lot of snacking on veggies. This ranch is great. I always switch it up a little, threw some extra Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning and some horseradish and it was AMAZING on the chicken I grilled a week or two ago. Homemade potatoes chips, plain veggies, salad, baked potatoes, whatever. It's been great on everything so far. 

https://showmetheyummy.com/homemade-greek-yogurt-ranch-dressing/#recipe

Good stuff. I love Tzatziki Sauce so that feels like a similar recipe there with a ranch twist. 

• Like 1

On 3/1/2023 at 7:24 PM, MWil23 said:

I broke my 2 plate only rule today for leg day and added a 25 on each side for my 5 sets. I’m now laying here with a swollen knee. Just a stupid move on my end today. It’s nothing bad, just an uncomfortable reminder.

The flip side of this is that 50 pounds is a lot to add at once when you aren't used to it at all, and if all you have is discomfort/a bit of swelling that's not too bad for such an aggressive jump up.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The flip side of this is that 50 pounds is a lot to add at once when you aren't used to it at all, and if all you have is discomfort/a bit of swelling that's not too bad for such an aggressive jump up.

I was somewhat encouraged in that I still hit my 5 set. I was feeling good. Thankfully 2 days after the fact now I'm swelling and pain free and more or less still feeling the burn, which is a positive sign.

• Like 2

So working back to back so I went ahead and lifted both days, and doing 16:8 IF. Got home and crashed early on the couch so I ended the day with only one meal and maybe 700kcals.  Literally fell asleep while the air fryer was cooking my dinner. 🙄  Whatever, I have food for the end of my shift today.

Workout yesterday was rough but got through. But how was today's workout? My last warm up set ended up being my actual working weight, and I almost failed on my last set  lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

So working back to back so I went ahead and lifted both days, and doing 16:8 IF. Got home and crashed early on the couch so I ended the day with only one meal and maybe 700kcals.  Literally fell asleep while the air fryer was cooking my dinner. 🙄  Whatever, I have food for the end of my shift today.

Workout yesterday was rough but got through. But how was today's workout? My last warm up set ended up being my actual working weight, and I almost failed on my last set  lol

I charted yesterday's food...and man I'm woefully deficient after killing my workout yesterday. Today is leg day, and I'm just anticipating falling flat on my face and it going badly for the same reason(s) you posted. I'm wondering if I should see it through or pivot to a shoulder/aux lift today instead and then trying to rebound Thursday for a nice leg day lift, followed by a Saturday heavy total body day.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I charted yesterday's food...and man I'm woefully deficient after killing my workout yesterday. Today is leg day, and I'm just anticipating falling flat on my face and it going badly for the same reason(s) you posted. I'm wondering if I should see it through or pivot to a shoulder/aux lift today instead and then trying to rebound Thursday for a nice leg day lift, followed by a Saturday heavy total body day.

Yeah, I'm normally in the 1800 kcal range, that puts me well below my BMR and allows me to fit a terrible meal once or twice a week and still lose 1-2 lbs. Getting under 1K? Hell no, that sucked. lol  Knowing I had work though I wasn't hungry though this morning, which made it easier than I would have expected.

Honestly I normally would say to just go through with the leg day if you aren't trying to peak or going through a really intense wave, but from what you said earlier you can irritate your knee rather easily. I'd switch it up honestly. If there's one thing you don't want to work in a depleted or weakened state it is a bodypart with a lingering issue IMO.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had a dose of humility about a month ago when I got a Euyfy Scale. Thought I was about 19% body fat, but I was actually 23.5. I’m sure I’ve been lying about my body fat percentage for a decade now if this thing is to be trusted.

So I used that as motivation to get down to 15% body fat.

Started at 193.5 at 23.5% body fat, 70.8% muscle mass, 12.0 visceral fat, 136.9 pounds muscle mass and a body age of 39.

Today I am at 174.3, 19.4% body fat, 74.5% muscle mass, still at an 11 for visceral fat, 129.8 lbs muscle mass and a body age of 34. I am turning 35 in May.

Do these numbers seem to add up? I don’t know. I’ve never heard of visceral fat before and it’s been a ***** getting that body fat percentage down.

I think I’m going to add a mile of walking to my daily routine. I’ve been on a 6 day split with one of those six days being running 2 miles and increasing the incline each week.

Lifting I’ve just been doing 4x8, 4x10, 3x12 and 2x15 each muscle group with chest/triceps on Saturday, back/biceps/forearms Sunday, Core/legs Monday, off Tuesday, traps/lats/whatever I feel like on Wednesday, shoulders Thursday and cardio Friday.

13 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Had a dose of humility about a month ago when I got a Euyfy Scale. Thought I was about 19% body fat, but I was actually 23.5. I’m sure I’ve been lying about my body fat percentage for a decade now if this thing is to be trusted.

Started at 193.5 at 23.5% body fat, 70.8% muscle mass, 12.0 visceral fat, 136.9 pounds muscle mass and a body age of 39.

Today I am at 174.3, 19.4% body fat, 74.5% muscle mass, still at an 11 for visceral fat, 129.8 lbs muscle mass and a body age of 34. I am turning 35 in May.

Do these numbers seem to add up? I don’t know. I’ve never heard of visceral fat before and it’s been a ***** getting that body fat percentage down.

I think I’m going to add a mile of walking to my daily routine. I’ve been on a 6 day split with one of those six days being running 2 miles and increasing the incline each week.

Lifting I’ve just been doing 4x8, 4x10, 3x12 and 2x15 each muscle group with chest/triceps on Saturday, back/biceps/forearms Sunday, Core/legs Monday, off Tuesday, traps/lats/whatever I feel like on Wednesday, shoulders Thursday and cardio Friday.

How did you lose 19 lbs in a month?

I’m not sure what to make of those kinds of scales. Mine is an Eros, and it’s saying I lost two lbs of muscle mass overnight.

13 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Unless you are doing a DEXA scan or skin fold calipers the body fat measurements are highly variable. Visceral fat is the fat that surrounds your organs. That will take a little longer to lose than subcutaneous fat. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, JohnChimpo said:

How did you lose 19 lbs in a month?

I’m not sure what to make of those kinds of scales. Mine is an Eros, and it’s saying I lost two lbs of muscle mass overnight.

Those scales aren’t accurate unfortunately unless you get a total body scan or skin fold measurements. 

I wish mine was accurate. I’m in good shape but nowhere near where mine has me I’d wager. You can see muscle definition but I’m certainly not shredded like the scale would suggest with my perceived muscle mass rate.