Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Need a name for this gym character, perhaps @AFlaccoSeagulls can weigh in:

Yesterday setup 4 plates on squat, kept it racked for 30+ minutes while helping a female friend of his with technique on her lift, while wearing a belt, then unracked and left. Zero actual visual reps seen.

A guy yesterday got me so mad. Loaded up 405 on the squat rack- nice, good for you dude. Then proceeded to rep out 3 of the most BS squats I've ever seen. Barely bent his knees.

That dude is definitely going around talking about how he reps 405 when I don't even think he could hit 225 for actual back squats. Yes, it made me irrationally angry.

So far, I've seen more guys do awful, BS squats than I have seen guys who actually hit depth.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

A guy yesterday got me so mad. Loaded up 405 on the squat rack- nice, good for you dude. Then proceeded to rep out 3 of the most BS squats I've ever seen. Barely bent his knees.

That dude is definitely going around talking about how he reps 405 when I don't even think he could hit 225 for actual back squats. Yes, it made me irrationally angry.

So far, I've seen more guys do awful, BS squats than I have seen guys who actually hit depth.

Granted at this point in my life, I don't heavy squat anymore, but when I do, it's almost always a 5x5 at 90 degrees with 2 plates/225. 

And, just my opinion, but most people who wear belts shouldn't, because you need to engage your core and work those muscles...and if you're going to wear a belt, 90% of people should have someone else put it on for them to get it THAT tight. It should be super uncomfortable to give you the support you need.

That dude repping out 3 awful squats at 405 is a microcosm of the fake leg day gym culture that's almost worse than the dude who does arms every single day.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Yesterday setup 4 plates on squat, kept it racked for 30+ minutes while helping a female friend of his with technique on her lift, while wearing a belt, then unracked and left. Zero actual visual reps seen.

That's hilarious. There is no more pathetic way to hit on someone than providing them "convenient help". No one in the history of women has ever been fooled by this move.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

That's hilarious. There is no more pathetic way to hit on someone than providing them "convenient help". No one in the history of women has ever been fooled by this move.

100%! Although, I have seen some clueless guys fooled by the "fake helpless girl" routine, where she goes up to a guy she's clearly interested in, and asks him for help and advice on technique/routines, while playing with her hair and mirroring his nonverbal body language, as he completely obliviously helps her with said lift and technique, then goes back to finish his workout.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I call this guy the Phantom of the Squat Rack

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

That dude repping out 3 awful squats at 405 is a microcosm of the fake leg day gym culture that's almost worse than the dude who does arms every single day.

The bolded has been one of the crazier shifts I've seen, when I think back to when I first started lifting weights (≈2000) to the present.  It gives me mixed feelings.  I enjoy seeing younger people embrace legs much more than my generation did.  That's a positive change, but they're irritating as hell, about it.  The short shorts with the quad flexing in the mirror. The constant lingering around the racks.  The talk the culture has brought.  The sheer amount of people you see doing what you're describing vs in the past.  That all drives me crazy, and makes me feel like a grumpy old man.  The chest day rush, with the quarter rep bench, has been replaced with the quarter squats, but everyone is wearing neon and filming themselves lmao.  It feels like it would be a positive change, but I think I'd rather see douchey lifters swarm the flat benches than the racks/platforms.  They were easier to work around.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

The bolded has been one of the crazier shifts I've seen, when I think back to when I first started lifting weights (≈2000) to the present.  It gives me mixed feelings.  I enjoy seeing younger people embrace legs much more than my generation did.  That's a positive change, but they're irritating as hell, about it.  The short shorts with the quad flexing in the mirror. The constant lingering around the racks.  The talk the culture has brought.  The sheer amount of people you see doing what you're describing vs in the past.  That all drives me crazy, and makes me feel like a grumpy old man.  The chest day rush, with the quarter rep bench, has been replaced with the quarter squats, but everyone is wearing neon and filming themselves lmao.  It feels like it would be a positive change, but I think I'd rather see douchey lifters swarm the flat benches than the racks/platforms.  They were easier to work around.

This is one of the main reasons I'm so happy to be at the gym I'm at. Nobody gives a **** we all just show up, put our work in, and leave. Nobody filming. No short shorts. No loading up squat racks and doing nothing. No flexing in any mirrors.

It's blissful. I can't imagine going back to a public gym.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

This is one of the main reasons I'm so happy to be at the gym I'm at. Nobody gives a **** we all just show up, put our work in, and leave. Nobody filming. No short shorts. No loading up squat racks and doing nothing. No flexing in any mirrors.

It's blissful. I can't imagine going back to a public gym.

The next step is putting the squat rack in your basement.  Then you don’t even have to talk to other people.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The next step is putting the squat rack in your basement.  Then you don’t even have to talk to other people.

I can't workout in dark environments, idk why. Used to work out in my garage but just hated how dark everything is.

Plus I generally like being around other people at this gym since I WFH and live alone so it gives me time to be around other humans even for a short while

• Like 4

The thing about heavy weights is only noobs as teenagers give a ****.  Anyone with any experience is impressed by form, not weight. Or at least not weight absent form.

Idgaf if someone is squatting 135, if they’re getting *** to grass and owning the weight on the bar I can look at them and think “nice rep”.

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I can't workout in dark environments, idk why. Used to work out in my garage but just hated how dark everything is.

Plus I generally like being around other people at this gym since I WFH and live alone so it gives me time to be around other humans even for a short while

I love the dark environments.  I really dislike a lot of gyms with how bright and sterile they seem.  I want concrete, dim lights, loud music, chalk, etc.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The thing about heavy weights is only noobs as teenagers give a ****.  Anyone with any experience is impressed by form, not weight. Or at least not weight absent form.

Idgaf if someone is squatting 135, if they’re getting *** to grass and owning the weight on the bar I can look at them and think “nice rep”.

What, you don't like all-back bicep curl reps?! FOR SHAME!

15 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I love the dark environments.  I really dislike a lot of gyms with how bright and sterile they seem.  I want concrete, dim lights, loud music, chalk, etc.

I'm like the opposite. I want natural light, loud music and to not feel like I'm working out in a dungeon.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

What, you don't like all-back bicep curl reps?! FOR SHAME!

Now I never said that.

7 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'm like the opposite. I want natural light, loud music and to not feel like I'm working out in a dungeon.

I just don’t like commercial gyms a ton in general.

I don’t mind working out around others, but I like a similar intensity.  I like to see people sweating, putting in work, getting after it.  

20 somethings doing a bunch of butt exercises, kids ego lifting, bad gym manners, etc just isn’t my thing.  I get it though from a social perspective given being single and WFH.