Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

Had an acl repair in August and have been back at the gym foe the first time in nearly 10 years. 

Wasn't able to squats prior to the acl repair now I am up to 80kg x4 reps x2 sets

110kg deadlift. 

Repping 75kg on the bench. 

My body feels so much better. 

• Like 7

12 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Anyone have any programs and/or rep schemes they like for building strength up in your back squat? I'm so close to 400 I can taste it, but I'd like a little help getting those last 25 pounds.

Do you do any explosive movements like box jumps? I’d also recommend really hitting your core hard, because that’s what’s stabilizing the body and weight load.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Do you do any explosive movements like box jumps? I’d also recommend really hitting your core hard, because that’s what’s stabilizing the body and weight load.

I've always worked box jumps in. All types of variations- 24" box jumps, rebounds, box jump overs, 30"+ seated box jumps, etc.

More core work is a good call.

11 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I've always worked box jumps in. All types of variations- 24" box jumps, rebounds, box jump overs, 30"+ seated box jumps, etc.

More core work is a good call.

If you really want to, you can add in some anchor chains on your rep set and it will essentially function as some "negative reps" as you get higher, adding a "more weight" feel as you go up as well.

You can also do super low squats with less weight to engage those glutes big time.

Got another half-marathon done last weekend in Wilmington DE- 8:01/mile pace.  Should've been under 8, but it was really tight quarters out of the gate.  They should have let people go in waves, especially when over half of the race was spent overlapping runners.  83rd overall out of 750 half runners, and 11/59 for age group.  

Also really enjoying this new kickboxing gym.  They do a lot of cross-fit type workouts and kettlebell/barbell exercises mixed in.  Almost down another pant size just from that, and a lot of my shirts are feeling pretty loose in my back.  Finally got some new shoes for it too.  

Have a twilight 5K on Saturday and a half on Sunday coming up, and then both 10k and 5k Savage Race in two weekends. 

• Like 5

On 4/27/2023 at 4:47 PM, minutemancl said:

Anyone have any programs and/or rep schemes they like for building strength up in your back squat? I'm so close to 400 I can taste it, but I'd like a little help getting those last 25 pounds.

I love wave loading, especially 3-2-1. Wave Loading: What Is It? Why It Works? How To Do It? – Fitbod

Best way to do it would be Back Squat Monday/Tuesday and Front Squat Thursday/Friday.  If you haven't trained Front Squat then by strengthening that you may boost your back squat.

If you need more stamina/work capacity then Clusters are great and fun. The Ultimate Cluster Training Program (t-nation.com)

Last but not least, the tough as hell Klokov Squat The Klokov Squat – YPSI

On 4/27/2023 at 3:47 PM, minutemancl said:

Agreed with @jetsfan4life51 but I don't know what your volume is either. If you're doing high volume normally going to something like the Texas Method for 3-6 months is nice, get to really focus on a few primary lifts and work on getting consistent incremental improvements.

My personal favorite system is Juggernaut. It utilizes waves too and there are spreadsheets to help make it more simple.

https://liftvault.com/programs/strength/juggernaut-method-base-template-spreadsheet/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

Thanks guys, I like those.

I do front squat regularly; it is just slightly behind my back squat, at least as far as my 1RM, but I think that is about the case for everyone.

How close are they?  Unless you don't really back squat often, they shouldn't be super close.  I believe most power lifters are around 80%.  If they're really close, you should be able to improve your backsquat fairly quickly just focusing on your posterior chain for a few weeks.   So if you're front squatting more than 300 right now, those last 25lbs on your backsquat should be right around the corner.  

Edited by OkeyDoke21

1 hour ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

How close are they?  Unless you don't really back squat often, they shouldn't be super close.  I believe most power lifters are around 80%.  If they're really close, you should be able to improve your backsquat fairly quickly just focusing on your posterior chain for a few weeks.   So if you're front squatting more than 300 right now, those last 25lbs on your backsquat should be right around the corner.  

Yes depending on form and other lifts, something as simple as Incline Back Extensions, Horizontal Back Extensions, Reverse Hypers and Good Mornings to strengthen the Erectors can help with Back Squat. 

If you Front Squat is 90+% of your Back Squat then you need to hit posterior chain hard. 

19 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Your Front Squat should be 85% of your Back Squat. And Deadlift should be 120-125% of your Back Squat. 

I haven't maxed out my front squat in a long time, but I think it is around 315. Back is 375. Dead is 415 (although that's a 3 rep max; I haven't attempted a 1RM there in a while either)

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

I haven't maxed out my front squat in a long time, but I think it is around 315. Back is 375. Dead is 415 (although that's a 3 rep max; I haven't attempted a 1RM there in a while either)

You can still compare estimated 1RMs. If your 3RM Back Squat is 335 lbs then 3RM Front Squat should be 285. 

On 11/22/2022 at 6:59 AM, jetsfan4life51 said:

If any of you have a home gym and want to spend a little money I highly recommend checking out Watson Gym Equipment.

I got the Arm Package and a Neutral Grip Barbell which is pretty sick and great for the shoulders.

Arm Package - Watson Gym Equipment

Frame Log Bar - Type II - Watson Gym Equipment

What are your opinions on kettle bells, medicine balls, and dumbbell sets?

My goal here is to take advantage of working from home better by being able to do real exercises during meetings where I don't have to participate. So far, I've gotten some bands, an exercise ball, a bosu ball, just basic stuff like that for stretching and core work, but really can't do much beyond that without something heavy.

I'm not looking to replace a gym membership entirely today, but am willing to spend the money to buy it once and be done. I am more likely than not looking to go all in on a home gym at some point over the next decade or so, I just want to own property first before getting racks (and anything I buy today would need to survive at least one move, probably 2).

So far, I'm leaning towards Rogue for a 5-50 lb dumbbell set, 6-12 pounds for med balls, and 13-35 pound kettle bells, plus storage but I'm open to any ideas.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99