Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

41 minutes ago, jyod21 said:

What was the lemon/grapefruit marinade?  Just literal lemon and grapefruit juice, or was there more to it?  I'm interested in trying the recipe.

Yep, literally one full lemon squeezed into a ziplock bag, then I poured some grapefruit in so there'd be enough to coat all the chicken.  Next time I think I'm going to zest two full lemons and then use lemon juice to coat everything.  I just wanted to try out the dehydrator, so I used what I had in the house.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Finally got that dehydrator.  My first batch of jerky was chicken jerky.  I cut chicken breast into extremely thin slices, marinated it for 24 hours in a lemon/grapefruit marinade for 24 hours, dehydrated it for about 5 hours, baked it at 285 for 20 minutes after that and it is the most I have ever in my life ever frickin ever enjoyed chicken.  OMG, it was the best tasting jerky I have ever had in my life, and I consider myself a jerky aficionado.  Best purchase I have ever made in my life.  Not quite, but I'm so high on the taste of that chicken jerky that I'm exaggerating.  NOT on the best tasting chicken I've ever had in my life part though.  I thought that one was going to be the worst of the two.  I've got buffalo wing sauce chicken marinade jerky in the oven now and I can't wait to try it. 

If anybody wants a high protein, low carb/low fat snack with low sodium, buy yourself a dehydrator.  I am going to make so, so, so, so, so much jerky.  The dehydrator I got was under 50 dollars, too. 

Might buy this for fruit tbh

1 hour ago, steadypimpin said:

Ok guys what's a good lifting routine for me? I do workouts every other day if I can so one day I do chest/tris, then back/bis, leg day. And I usually do abs those days too. Anymore recommendations?

What are your goals? Are you looking for major strength gains or "looking good" with toning? Do you have any pre-existing medical conditions that inhibit you in any way? Are you willing to commit to a strict diet?

20 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

What are your goals? Are you looking for major strength gains or "looking good" with toning? Do you have any pre-existing medical conditions that inhibit you in any way? Are you willing to commit to a strict diet?

Just regular workouts to get toned, not trying to get huge. I used to do some workouts like I mentioned above but was just seeing if there were other things I might want to add. I have a home gym with tons of weights, bars, even a squat rack. I stopped for a bit because my elbow was giving me problems but it's good now. I don't really need to have a special diet, just trying to get exercise and stay in good health.

21 minutes ago, steadypimpin said:

Just regular workouts to get toned, not trying to get huge. I used to do some workouts like I mentioned above but was just seeing if there were other things I might want to add. I have a home gym with tons of weights, bars, even a squat rack. I stopped for a bit because my elbow was giving me problems but it's good now. I don't really need to have a special diet, just trying to get exercise and stay in good health.

I'm a big fan of olympic lifts (bench, squat, press). I'd recommend doing 1 core lift a day every other day. So, I'd do some type of a push/pull variation to make sure you are engaging all muscle groups. I'd go higher reps for the first 4-6 weeks (sets of 5x5 for example) and then go to a 5, 3,3,3,1, and then a 3,3,3,1, etc. the next 4-6, and then restart. Dumbbells are also good, and I'd stay away from most machines as they isolate a muscle group and don't work smaller muscle groups as well. When you bench, you're working your back, arms, chest, and hand/forearm strength all simultaneously, whereas with a machine it's just your chest isolated.

Best wishes and I hope this helps. Sorry if I'm scatter brained.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I'm a big fan of olympic lifts (bench, squat, press). I'd recommend doing 1 core lift a day every other day. So, I'd do some type of a push/pull variation to make sure you are engaging all muscle groups. I'd go higher reps for the first 4-6 weeks (sets of 5x5 for example) and then go to a 5, 3,3,3,1, and then a 3,3,3,1, etc. the next 4-6, and then restart. Dumbbells are also good, and I'd stay away from most machines as they isolate a muscle group and don't work smaller muscle groups as well. When you bench, you're working your back, arms, chest, and hand/forearm strength all simultaneously, whereas with a machine it's just your chest isolated.

Best wishes and I hope this helps. Sorry if I'm scatter brained.

Thanks, I have an Olympic weight set. I agree, I don't like the machines as much either.

One final piece of advice for anyone planning on getting a dehydrator... Thin, thin, thin, thin.  The thicker pieces don't taste nearly as good. 

Anybody interested in fitness I would suggest should get a dehydrator.  Jerky is one of the best snacks for  that sort of thing, ESPECIALLY if you make your own and cut out all the insane amounts of sodium in store-bought jerky.  You can make healthy meat, veggie and fruit snacks with this thing, and they're all incredibly portable, too.  I think I'm probably going to be setting some insane personal fitness records thanks to this dehydrator.  No more need for unhealthy snacks at this point.  And, all you gotta do is throw the food in the dehydrator for 5-8 hours and it takes basically no effort after that. 

Definitely interested in getting a dehydrator @HorizontoZenith Which one do you have?

Also, I’ve been doing hot yoga for about a month and I love it. My hips have gotten much looser, hamstrings and shoulders feeling good and a lot of great core and balance work. Way sweatier and harder than any workout I do other wise. 95 degrees was rough at first but I enjoy it now. 

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:35 AM, steadypimpin said:

Ok guys what's a good lifting routine for me? I do workouts every other day if I can so one day I do chest/tris, then back/bis, leg day. And I usually do abs those days too. Anymore recommendations?

I suggest a lot of body weight exercises If you don't want to get too bulky, a lot of push-ups, dips, pull-ups, body squats and lunges. Workouts like these can give you that lean- athletic physique. Just my take

2 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I suggest a lot of body weight exercises If you don't want to get too bulky, a lot of push-ups, dips, pull-ups, body squats and lunges. Workouts like these can give you that lean- athletic physique. Just my take

No one is suddenly getting bulky though. It's not easy to put on muscle after the first year or so when you're completely untrained. That's why there are guys who have lifted for 10-15 years religiously and still don't look like they go to the gym. There's more to it than that.

Bodyweight training is fine, just the premise that someone will get too bulky from weights is just off with me.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

No one is suddenly getting bulky though. It's not easy to put on muscle after the first year or so when you're completely untrained. That's why there are guys who have lifted for 10-15 years religiously and still don't look like they go to the gym. There's more to it than that.

Bodyweight training is fine, just the premise that someone will get too bulky from weights is just off with me.

Conversely, there are some that are completely jacked and not touch a single weight, I see it every day. To each his own, there is no one blueprint to get a desired result, the individual, trial and error are best imo, this is coming from someone who has over a 500lb bench.

Edited by MSURacerDT55

On 5/2/2018 at 1:57 PM, steadypimpin said:

Basic split of chest, back, shoulders, legs, arms would probably do the job for you. Or if that’s too much (only work out a few days a week), you can make it upper body - lower body. Or chest/triceps, back/biceps, shoulders, legs. Lots of combos.

Start easy, don’t overdue weight, and focus on proper form to avoid injury. Do lots of research online as it pertains to workout form. Suggest doing something simple like 3-4 sets per workout, in the 8-12 rep range. 

You’ll gain muscle definition this way, as your muscles will strengthen, but you will not likely get “bulky” unless you drastically alter your diet and train more rigorously. Additionally, your tone will plateau eventually without changes to your diet or adding in extra work (more weight, more reps, more sets, cardio, etc). 

EDIT: Here’s some simple workouts you may find useful to you. 

Chest - barbell bench press (all planes), dumbbell bench press (all planes), flyes (all planes), push-ups, pull-overs.

Back - Lat pull downs (wide, neutral grip), rows (barbell, cable, dumbbell), deadlifts (also works out legs), pull-ups.

Shoulders - Shoulder press (dumbbell, barbell), lateral raises, front raises, rear delt flyes, face-pulls, upright rows, rotator cuff internal/external rotation (HIGHLY recommend these, lowers risk of injury). 

Biceps/Triceps - curls (barbell, dumbbell, altering grips, spider, concentration), close grip bench press (barbell), dips, kick-backs, triceps extensions, etc.

Legs - Squat. Definitely squat. Leg press (many variations), deadlift, lunges, plyometrics, leg raises, leg extensions, leg curls, abductor/adductor workout’s.

BTW, hey guys. Haven’t posted here since the forum switch.

Edited by Yin-Yang
  • Like 1