ESPN Story on Patriots

CKSteeler

Guerrero is a quack who has tried to present himself as a doctor on multiple occasions despite the fact he isn't, and the TB12 method is pure pseudoscience that looks to have been invented just to make money off people who don't know any better - this piece by FiveThirtyEight is actually a pretty look at it for those interested.

My conclusions after reading the article:

- Guerrero, through Brady, has gained a lot of clout within the organisation, and after BB figured out that he wasn't helpful to the Patriots, tried and failed to get rid of him. 
- Brady's obsession with Guerrero and the TB12 Method has created tension within the playing group because they are unsure how much to go along with it
- Brady, sensing that the end is nigh and trying to extend his time in the NFL, has bought the snake oil Guerrero is selling and begun to fight back against the way things have been done for a long time - hence some frustrations with Bill. He's also acted like most great QBs have acted towards their understudies - with antipathy tending towards disdain.
- BB has struggled with how to handle the transition from Brady to the next QB given Brady has played better than would be expected for a QB his age

The only thing that was somewhat surprising to me was how ingrained the TB12 Method had/has become in the Patriots' organisation - to the point that team staffers set up treatment sessions with Guerrero at the TB12 centre

Basically, the conclusion of the article that has been breathlessly exclaimed by ESPN and that Boston "journalist" on twitter is just clickbait

7 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I think only Brady, Kraft and Patriots fans think Tom Brady has more to do with winning five Super Bowls than Bill Belichick.  Unless people think it's a coincidence the Patriots have had a top 10 defense more often than not in Brady's career.  Show me a list a Hall of Fame QBs that can say that and I'll show you a list with Tom Brady's name written on it and nobody else's.*

*Except Steve Young, Joe Montana, Roger Staubach, John Elway, Ben Roethlisberger, Bart Starr, Terry Bradshaw, Johnny Unitas, Donovan McNabb, Troy Aikman, Otto Graham and Bob Griese.

Rivers, Favre, Marino were pretty close too. They had several 11th/12th ranked Ds that would put them at over 50% if they were included.

Kurt Warner had a top 4 defense in every season in STL, except his last. (EDIT: This is incorrect, I misread a stat. It was actually 50/50).

This took a shockingly small amount of time to look up.

26 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

*Except Steve Young, Joe Montana, Roger Staubach, John Elway, Ben Roethlisberger, Bart Starr, Terry Bradshaw, Johnny Unitas, Donovan McNabb, Troy Aikman, Otto Graham and Bob Griese.

Rivers, Favre, Marino were pretty close too. They had several 11th/12th ranked Ds that would put them at over 50% if they were included.

Kurt Warner had a top 4 defense in every season in STL, except his last.

This took a shockingly small amount of time to look up.

In 2000, the Rams were last in scoring defense. And, they were not in the top-4 in scoring defense in 2001 (although they were seventh, which is good).

And, Elway had seven years where his defenses were outside the top-10 in points allowed (1985, 86, 88, 90, 92, 94, & 95).

41 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

In 2000, the Rams were last in scoring defense. And, they were not in the top-4 in scoring defense in 2001 (although they were seventh, which is good).

And, Elway had seven years where his defenses were outside the top-10 in points allowed (1985, 86, 88, 90, 92, 94, & 95).

You're right about the Rams, I misread a line.

And yes, Elway had seven years where his D was outside the top 10...but he played 16 years, which means he had nine seasons WITH a top 10 scoring D. Which means he fits the criteria.

17 minutes ago, LD696 said:

14c.jpg

you dont have any facts to prove its not staged other than your belief it isnt.

its called critical thought to know what i'm watching. Youve been taught that a fact needs approval from a authority, or a majority group to be true.

I trust my intelligence to know that when a team calls only  5 or 6 running plays in a half, they are purposely throwing the game. Common sense is dead in this country thanks to the shiny marble that is tv.

Just now, biletnikoff said:

you dont have any facts to prove its not staged other than your belief it isnt.

You are making a statement that needs to be proven. You haven't offered any evidence and now you're trying to hoist the burden of proof on me. That's not how it should work.

4 minutes ago, biletnikoff said:

its called critical thought to know what i'm watching. Youve been taught that a fact needs approval from a authority, or a majority group to be true.

You have no idea what I've been taught, this is just conjecture and projection from your part. We can go tangential about what should be consitituted as a fact though, I'm interested in hearing people out about this. That would have nothing to do with the points made here though.

11 minutes ago, biletnikoff said:

I trust my intelligence to know that when a team calls only  5 or 6 running plays in a half, they are purposely throwing the game. Common sense is dead in this country thanks to the shiny marble that is tv.

You should consult your inteligence too before spewing bovine (...) matter. I have no idea about the state of common sense in the US, as I'm not American.

I honestly see no value in this kind of story.

Of course there has been friction in a relation that lasts 17 years, but the point is that they have managed to be on the same page throughout.

This is sensational journalism, at it's worst.

42 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

Alright, you got me.  Now how many of those quarterbacks never had a scoring defense below 19th in the league, had the best tight end in the history of the league for 8 years, got two Super Bowls by opposing teams choking the game away and also were in two major cheating scandals that they/the team were 100% guilty of?

Bottom line, if you think Belichick wouldn't have won 5 Super Bowls with Young, Montana, Staubach, Elway, Roethlisberger, Starr, Bradshaw, Unitas, Rodgers, Brees, Warner and about 30 other quarterbacks, you've clearly already chosen which side of this Tom/Bill/Rob feud you're on, and you picked the wrong side.

Brady averages 27 points a game in the playoffs.
Patriots defense averages 20 points allowed. 

Brees averages 29 points a game in playoffs.
Saint defense averages 27 points allowed. 

Rodgers averages 27 points a game in playoffs.
Packer defense averages 25 points against. 

My point?  Defense wins Championships, and the Patriots under Bill Belichick have been one of, if not the most, consistent defenses for any team during any stretch in NFL history.  I think half the quarterbacks in the league right now could lead a team to the Super Bowl and win it if their defense averaged 20 points a game.

Brady and Rodgers baby clone could win 20 Super Bowls in 20 years with a defense that wouldn't allow more than 20 points in a game.  Brady/Rodgers/Manning/Montana/Cyborg clone baby couldn't win 2 Super Bowls with a bad defense.

Bill Belichick and the defense he has fielded over the past 20 years is twice as responsible for 5 Super Bowl wins as Tom Brady ever could have been, and if you think that's not true, you don't know how the NFL playoffs work. 

Just now, kramxel said:

I honestly see no value in this kind of story.

I agree with this completely.  I really, really, really hate ESPN.  I'm the biggest Patriots disliker, Brady hater on the planet and even I think this is a BS thing for ESPN to do to them. 

You are making a statement that needs to be proven. You haven't offered any evidence and now you're trying to hoist the burden of proof on me. That's not how it should wor

you just proved my point. I did prove it with my example. Thats called circumstantial evidence and common sense. Youve been taught a fact is your belief in what an authority tells you. I am my own authority. I dont need the crutch of approval... Ultimately there is no such thing as a burden of proof. Either something happened or it didnt. It doesnt need your belief, proof or approval to exist. 

4 minutes ago, biletnikoff said:

you just proved my point. I did prove it with my example. Thats called circumstantial evidence and common sense. Youve been taught a fact is your belief in what an authority tells you. I am my own authority. I dont need the crutch of approval... Ultimately there is no such thing as a burden of proof. Either something happened or it didnt. It doesnt need your belief, proof or approval to exist. 

I vote this guy for greatest troll of the 2017 season.

15 minutes ago, biletnikoff said:

That's actually called circular reasoning and it's usually considered a logical fallacy... I cannot go beyond this. The tautologies fried my brain.

Brady haters out in full force! I admire the commitment.

So far I've read that the Director of Football Research is more important than the guy who touches the ball on every snap and throws it on most.

And that Brady would have zero championships and would've been out of the league within a few years if not for Bill.

Speaking as a non-Patriot fan, I'd just like to say this. Please guys, embrace the fact that he will always be better than your QB. Embrace the fact that Bill was 5-11 and 0-2, before Tom blessed him and told him, "it's okay Bill, you can take your house off the market, you're safe here."

Don't fight it. He is better than your QB. He is the best QB of all-time. It's okay. You will be okay.

Archived