ESPN Story on Patriots

CKSteeler

5 minutes ago, MookieMonster said:

I still support the Jimmy G trade. He was gone this off-season. Brady still has 2-3 years left IMO and we weren't going to pay 2 QBs upwards of $40M total.

Yep. I mean, you do what you have to do. You basically had 3 options, dump brady, trade Jimmy G for something, lose Jimmy G for nothing

As a 49er fan, I'm just a happy recipient. I don't care what the reasoning for it was, what happened behind the scenes. I'm just thankful that we are in the NFC and BB has a respect for Shanny. We now have a guy that I can be hopeful is the franchise quarterback we've been waiting on. May not turn out to be that, but I've got that hope for the first time in a while. 

People saying the Patriots made a mistake trading Jimmy G have no idea what they're talking about. Was the timing poor? Perhaps. Could we have gotten more last off-season? Probably. 

We were trading Jimmy G at some point though. Brady is still a top 5 QB and we're still winning games. Paying both Jimmy and Brady would've murdered our cap space, and I highly doubt Jimmy G re-signs long term anyways. He isn't going to sign here to be a backup for possibly another 2-3 years when he could go somewhere and start immediately.

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Did you even read the story? I feel like some folks are going to off the BS leaks from that reporter from Boston yesterday.

If you read the story, a lot of the stuff is believable. And in truth, not like it makes any of them look all that bad. As mentioned earlier, most of the stuff has been out already, but Seth added more details and put it all together. The article has very little to do with the power struggle of who deserves more credit, just mainly about the future of the team. Belichick had his own plan, while Kraft/Brady had their own plan. Obviously we know who won that battle and it probably caused some friction between Belichick and the other two parties. But this isn't uncommon or anything, even in dynasties. Eddie DeBartolo and Bill Walsh clashed often, and eventually it broke Walsh down. So much so that he walked away AFTER winning a Super Bowl. He just couldn't take it any longer. I'm sure Belichick/Kraft haven't had that type of relationship, but if Belichick really had to go against his will to trade Garoppolo, then that certainly could be a factor in him walking away soon.

As for the BSPN reference? Never forget this video:

I didn't read it because it's flagarant fake news. After the Deflategate nonsense, anything from BSPN should be immediately discredited. Reporters go to BSPN because they can't get a real reporting job.

Oh and the whole Jimmy mandate is a hoax: https://sports.yahoo.com/source-belichick-did-not-receive-152947641.html

1 minute ago, MookieMonster said:

People saying the Patriots made a mistake trading Jimmy G have no idea what they're talking about. Was the timing poor? Perhaps. Could we have gotten more last off-season? Probably. 

We were trading Jimmy G at some point though. Brady is still a top 5 QB and we're still winning games. Paying both Jimmy and Brady would've murdered our cap space, and I highly doubt Jimmy G re-signs long term anyways. He isn't going to sign here to be a backup for possibly another 2-3 years when he could go somewhere and start immediately.

You have max 2 years left of Brady, just like the Packers saw Favre had around that time. Could the Packers have made 2 SB runs in the time that it took Rodgers to get his feet under him? Sure. Did they do the right thing? Yes.

I don't see how it's clueless to say the Pats should have traded 2 years of top level success for the chance at another 10-15 years of top level success.

7 minutes ago, everlong said:

I didn't read it because it's flagarant fake news. After the Deflategate nonsense, anything from BSPN should be immediately discredited. Reporters go to BSPN because they can't get a real reporting job.

Oh and the whole Jimmy mandate is a hoax: https://sports.yahoo.com/source-belichick-did-not-receive-152947641.html

This really isn't accurate. Hate on ESPN all you want, but they still have talented reporters there.

Also, I'm not sure how it's fake news, and lobbying that accusation while admitting you didn't even read it is rather silly. Even most Pats fan are agreeing with the premise in nature from what I've seen. Are all the specific details accurate? I don't know about that, but I don't think that there's any doubt that the overriding theme of the article, that there is a certain degree of a fracture between the big 3, etc etc. Don't think it'll change anything - I don't think it's their last year together, I think that they are all competitive enough to put ego aside just enough to prevent an implosion, etc. 

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You have max 2 years left of Brady, just like the Packers saw Favre had around that time. Could the Packers have made 2 SB runs in the time that it took Rodgers to get his feet under him? Sure. Did they do the right thing? Yes.

I don't see how it's clueless to say the Pats should have traded 2 years of top level success for the chance at another 10-15 years of top level success.

Favre retired, then unretired...Brady hasn't even breathed a word about retiring. Plus, Jimmy was a UFA after this season, where as the Packers knew they had Rodgers for at least 2008. The Packers were  in a much easier position.

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He's coming off a 4500 yard 38 TD season and it's just a proven fact that he's done in two years? Meh. Completely disagree with this, and even if you think he's done in 2 years, we're not going to franchise tag Jimmy G for 2 years and pay our QBs +40M. 

Also, Favre wasn't an elite QB when the Packers let him walk. He was clearly declining and had a pretty bad year with the Jets that next year. Brady is still playing at an elite level. Completely different scenarios.

1 minute ago, cddolphin said:

"I didn't read the content"

"I know the content is fake news"

You sound as intelligent as roughly 63 million other Americans: i.e., not very

When you have a title like "Patriots on the brink..." and it's coming from company whose integrity has been in question before, it's pretty safe to completely disregard the article and not waste time reading it.

1 minute ago, ChazStandard said:

Favre retired, then unretired...Brady hasn't even breathed a word about retiring. Plus, Jimmy was a UFA after this season, where as the Packers knew they had Rodgers for at least 2008. The Packers were  in a much easier position.

Ted forced Favre to make a decision well before he usually did, because they were ready to move on. When Favre unretired, got on a plane and flew to GB there were crowds and crowds of people there that followed him all the way to Lambeau. It wasn't easy at all.

I get what you're saying in that Brady hasn't contemplated retirement yet, but that just means his value would be higher. It sounds crazy just like it did to me in 2008, but I think it's the right move for you guys.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Ted forced Favre to make a decision well before he usually did, because they were ready to move on. When Favre unretired, got on a plane and flew to GB there were crowds and crowds of people there that followed him all the way to Lambeau. It wasn't easy at all.

I get what you're saying in that Brady hasn't contemplated retirement yet, but that just means his value would be higher. It sounds crazy just like it did to me in 2008, but I think it's the right move for you guys.

I said "easier", not "easy". It was still very awkward, and fair play to the Packers FO they handled it just right.

Archived