Eliot Wolf New Asst. GM - GB Reunion in Cleveland

Mind Character

2 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Taking a closer look, they had a couple of really nice drafts in the early part of the decade. They've tallied off majorly in recent years.

From what I have read, and it isn't that much, Wolf is a pro talent evaluator.  He didn't do as much scouting college players but he was praised as an excellent evaluator of current NFL players.  Canfora followed up stating his title will be assist GM.  I don't know how to copy the twitters or I could post it. 

12 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Can someone give me a quick summary of why this is a great thing? I know his father was instrumental in Brett Favre going to the Packers but I know little else.

The only thing I do know is that the team he has come from have not been good drafters for a while and have done an insufficient job of surrounding Rodgers with a championship team.

How much did he have to do with that?

Wolf wasn’t on the college and drafting side. He was a pro scout. So he evaluated players on his team and others. 

6 minutes ago, OttoGrahamsGhost said:

From what I have read, and it isn't that much, Wolf is a pro talent evaluator.  He didn't do as much scouting college players but he was praised as an excellent evaluator of current NFL players.  Canfora followed up stating his title will be assist GM.  I don't know how to copy the twitters or I could post it. 

When we interviewed him and Gutekunst last year, that was what I remember reading. While Wolf does have some scouting experience in the college game, he was mainly a pro talent evaluator; who to give try outs to, scouting opponents, free agents, etc. Gutekunst did most of the college scouting for them.

1 minute ago, Forge said:

When we interviewed him and Gutekunst last year, that was what I remember reading. While Wolf does have some scouting experience in the college game, he was mainly a pro talent evaluator; who to give try outs to, scouting opponents, free agents, etc. Gutekunst did most of the college scouting for them.

And how did wolf do with that?

Green Bay are notoriously cheap in free agency, aren't they?

I'm always at least a little bit skeptical of them because they've had nothing but epic QB play since the early 90s. That covers up soft spots better than anything else.

That being said, QB is what I care about more than anything. If Dorsey and Wolf bring Darnold in, and stop Hue from ruining everything, they're alright by me.

19 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Can someone give me a quick summary of why this is a great thing? I know his father was instrumental in Brett Favre going to the Packers but I know little else.

The only thing I do know is that the team he has come from have not been good drafters for a while and have done an insufficient job of surrounding Rodgers with a championship team.

How much did he have to do with that?

With this hire, it's better to think of him as a person coming from a well known,highly respected school.

If we had a company and wanted to hire an mechanical engineer, and we just hired a star ME student from one of the top programs in the nation at MIT...it would be something to get excited about.

Wolf has been groomed by one of the best GM schools in a wide range of aspects on how to be a great personnel exec.

Not only that but his work on the pro side was well respected; however,GB wasn't into signing FAs.

He also did work on the college side specifically scouting guys like RB Aaron Jones and has a good eye for talent.

PPL shouldn't be over the moon with this hire, but I think it's reasonable to have good feelings about the move.

Just now, Aztec Hammer said:

I'm always at least a little bit skeptical of them because they've had nothing but epic QB play since the early 90s. That covers up soft spots better than anything else.

That being said, QB is what I care about more than anything. If Dorsey and Wolf bring Darnold in, and stop Hue from ruining everything, they're alright by me.

I don’t think they’re cheap. They just spend their money of their own guys. 

7 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

And how did wolf do with that?

Honestly, not sure. I mean, the packers aren't exactly a team that has dived head first into free agency, but they do a really good job on keeping their own talented guys. They have made some decent finds like Evans last year. I think it's really hard to gauge personnel men because you really don't have an exact idea on what they are and aren't responsible for. He seems to be very well regarded, but at the same time, he doesn't appear to have been as impressive as Gutekunst as obviously the Packers preferred the latter, and last year, the 49ers seemed to prefer Gutekunst as well. I think that Wolf just needs more seasoning. I think this is a very good move for him from a career standpoint if Dorsey starts to get things going, and I think the pairing should work pretty well for you guys overall given that they have history together. 

2 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I don’t think they’re cheap. They just spend their money of their own guys. 

They caught flak for letting two of their own OL go in Tretter and Lang. Especially when Rodgers then got hurt. Also letting Cook go, even though he wasn't drafted by them, irked some.

Solid organisation though I guess, so he should be a competent hire.

10 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

They caught flak for letting two of their own OL go in Tretter and Lang. Especially when Rodgers then got hurt. Also letting Cook go, even though he wasn't drafted by them, irked some.

Solid organisation though I guess, so he should be a competent hire.

I wonder how much of that was TT. He had a reputation of being pretty cut throat. 

33 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Yes, they are. But that is more of Ted Thompson decision since he is the GM and not Wolf. 

Plus even if that was the case. Dorsey has been known to spend (maybe overspend) on contracts in FA. 

Now we have a excellent personnel evaluator coupled with a FA spender in the front office. I'm giddy.

Archived