One name.. Alex Smith

brownie man

What to do if we trade for Alex Smith?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Best option

• Still take QB at 1 and go BPA at 4
    • Draft Saquon at 1 and Minkah at 4 get QB later
    • Get either Saquon Chubb or Minkah after trade down from 1 or 4 to get more picks
    • Trade down from 1 and 4

Just adding my thoughts as a non Browns fan....I don't love the Alex Smith / Browns angle if you have to give up picks. I just don't think it's worth it for you. If you could just sign him out right, I'd be good with it, but I wouldn't want to give up assets. He's had a very underrated career - he's a legit above average starting quarterback. But he's prone to some bad stretches, and I just feel like when that stretch hits for you guys (and it will), Jackson is going to cave under the pressure and flip from Smith to Darnold. So you give up a couple of picks, one of them potentially pretty solid in one of the higher rounds, and then maybe get half a season for him. I don't love that. I'd much rather see you guys sign a guy through FA without having to give up the assets. No, you're not going to get the same quality, but I really do think that anyone vet stopgap is only starting for a portion of one year before the staff gives in. We see it happen all the time. For a team like Jax, or Denver or Arizona,  giving up a second rounder for the likes of Smith makes a ton of sense, I just don't love it for you guys. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Just adding my thoughts as a non Browns fan....I don't love the Alex Smith / Browns angle if you have to give up picks. I just don't think it's worth it for you. If you could just sign him out right, I'd be good with it, but I wouldn't want to give up assets. He's had a very underrated career - he's a legit above average starting quarterback. But he's prone to some bad stretches, and I just feel like when that stretch hits for you guys (and it will), Jackson is going to cave under the pressure and flip from Smith to Darnold. So you give up a couple of picks, one of them potentially pretty solid in one of the higher rounds, and then maybe get half a season for him. I don't love that. I'd much rather see you guys sign a guy through FA without having to give up the assets. No, you're not going to get the same quality, but I really do think that anyone vet stopgap is only starting for a portion of one year before the staff gives in. We see it happen all the time. For a team like Jax, or Denver or Arizona,  giving up a second rounder for the likes of Smith makes a ton of sense, I just don't love it for you guys. 

We would too, but the problem is none of the QBs on the FA market fit the description of what we are looking for. A team first guy with high character, a proven winner, a professional, and a guy who can win games instantly but play mentor of our eventual QBOF. I love draft picks as much as the next one and hopes Dorsey can work every angle to get him here for cheap, but if we have to use one of our 2nds for his services, you do it.

48 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

We would too, but the problem is none of the QBs on the FA market fit the description of what we are looking for. A team first guy with high character, a proven winner, a professional, and a guy who can win games instantly but play mentor of our eventual QBOF. I love draft picks as much as the next one and hopes Dorsey can work every angle to get him here for cheap, but if we have to use one of our 2nds for his services, you do it.

So that’s my thing, who is the vet that does all of those things and still wants to come here for 1 year as a FA?

Alex Smith works because he’s already under contract.

Essentially we’d be looking for a proven, decent starter who’s looking for a one year “show me” deal and who thinks the best situation to showcase himself would be Cleveland bug.  Not likely.

After that, you’re kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel.

What this franchise needs in 2018 is a qb who WINS us games, not a vet who is good enough to not lose us games. We need someone to elevate those around him and change the culture in the locker room. Half of our locker room has won one game in two that’s gotta change and change quickly or Huey is gone.

IMO stability at the HC spot, even if it’s Hue, an actual plan a time the QB position and a season of winning is worth 1/3 of our second round picks this year.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

For a non Browns fan, you definitely have our coaches number!

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I know that’s what’s being reported, but it doesn’t make much sense. No team is going to trade a huge asset and let him walk as a FA, they’d tag him for sure, at least for 2 years, if they couldn’t reach a deal.

Couple points to make sense:

If you were Grap would you resign with the Cleveland Browns if you could get away? We can franchise him all we want, I'm sure Bills, Fins, and Jets would pony up the first to take him from us. So yes, Billy sent him to a better team that was a good QB away from being a decent squad. Does Grap leave SanFran? I don't think he does. Would Grap have left Cleveland? More than likely. Remember trading Collins to us was a punishment. Billy doesn't hold our organization (and rightfully so) in much high regards. 

What's done is done. I'm going to pop some popcorn and hopefully watch the super nova that is the implosion of the Patriots. Tommy boy got what he wanted and Kraft mac and cheese made it perfectly clear that he stands with an aging QB and not his head coach. Tommy boy is an injury away from calling games in the booth whereas Billy can be a head coach for years to come. Kraft mac and cheese made a stupid decision. Beginning of the end... 

that is all

Mastercheddaar

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Great point. However, if we can give up philly's 2nd and maybe a 5th for him, I would do it in a heartbeat. Alex Smith would be probably the best QB we have had on the roster in years. All he would need to do is win 5 games and mentor Darnold. That's it. The bar for him is really... really low. Shoot Kizer if he throws 4 less INTs and 4 more TDs at the right time, he could have won 4 games for us and that would be enough for him to start next year. Again being a Browns fan coming from an 0-16 season, our bar is really low. 

that is all

Mastercheddaar

1 hour ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Couple points to make sense:

If you were Grap would you resign with the Cleveland Browns if you could get away? We can franchise him all we want, I'm sure Bills, Fins, and Jets would pony up the first to take him from us. So yes, Billy sent him to a better team that was a good QB away from being a decent squad. Does Grap leave SanFran? I don't think he does. Would Grap have left Cleveland? More than likely. Remember trading Collins to us was a punishment. Billy doesn't hold our organization (and rightfully so) in much high regards. 

What's done is done. I'm going to pop some popcorn and hopefully watch the super nova that is the implosion of the Patriots. Tommy boy got what he wanted and Kraft mac and cheese made it perfectly clear that he stands with an aging QB and not his head coach. Tommy boy is an injury away from calling games in the booth whereas Billy can be a head coach for years to come. Kraft mac and cheese made a stupid decision. Beginning of the end... 

that is all

Mastercheddaar

It would take two first rd picks to get him away from the Browns if he was tagged. So potentially the browns could of turned a 1st rd pick into two 1st rd picks. 

1 hour ago, dawgdish said:

For a non Browns fan, you definitely have our coaches number!

Haha, in fairness, I don't think that it's exclusive to Hue. We saw it in Chicago this year, Jacksonville in Bortles rookie season, and heck, even Jeff Fisher eventually caved. 

2 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

That's fair. Definitely not going to find the same guy on the market, and Smith already has experience with being this guy to mentor the next one in his two previous stops. 

I just dont see Hue wanting Smith over McCarron

Plus when you are most likely on a short leash, I dont think Hue will want a QB who will need a few weeks into the season to fully get the nuances of the offense

2 minutes ago, ohiogenius said:

Plus when you are most likely on a short leash, I dont think Hue will want a QB who will need a few weeks into the season to fully get the nuances of the offense

I’m just not a fan of trading that much for a player who was a 5th round pick

has his value really gone up by doing nothing??

give me Smith and can Hue 

7 hours ago, MWil23 said:

If half of this ESPN story is true, he could also be giving the Patriots organization/Kraft a giant middle finger on the way out of the door

I don't know about "on his way out the door" but giant middle finger for sure because Kraft ordered him to trade him without specifying a price 

3 hours ago, ohiogenius said:

Smith can be a QB for the Browns this year and next year. McCarronis going to be attached to Hue. If Hue is fired than McCarron is useless. That could be a reason why Sashi failed to complete that trade. Maybe he thought Hue would get the axe and not him

Archived