One name.. Alex Smith

brownie man

What to do if we trade for Alex Smith?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Best option

• Still take QB at 1 and go BPA at 4
    • Draft Saquon at 1 and Minkah at 4 get QB later
    • Get either Saquon Chubb or Minkah after trade down from 1 or 4 to get more picks
    • Trade down from 1 and 4

2 hours ago, hornbybrown said:

Guys, are the Chiefs really moving on from Alex Smith after his best season ever? I doubt it, I think MaHomes is sitting for another season which won’t do him any harm 

I don’t know what they were basing it on, but the announcers said after the game that Smith had just played his last game as a Kansas City Chief. 

11 minutes ago, Koolkai123 said:

NO TAKE THE MCARRON TRADE YOU WERE ABOUT TO DO BUT FAILED AT

we need the picks...

Sorry, Charley.

The only way this happens is if Hueball's Magic with the hee haw Haslams is Jedi-like.

3 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Why so much if they are moving on from him, which of course we don't know.

You gotta pay for quality. If he goes into free agency he’s a goner. Broncos. Cardinals. Jaguars maybe. We need to guarantee him. 

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

but we don't have a trailor. 

i can't work inside that metaphor to describe our QB situation. we NEED Alex Smith for 1 year with our QB group. 

The point is there are other means to acquire a trailer via free agency.

If the point is to bring in a player that can be a trailer and compete until our young QB1 is ready, then just sign a free agent w/o spending the draft capital.

If the only way to get a bridge QB for 2 years to get Alex Smith via trade, then I'd do that in a heartbeat and give up a second.

However, that's just not the case.

There are alternatives to get a trailer.

So, I'd rather spend money on trailer QBs like Mccaron (if available), Bradford( one of the vikings QBs), Tyrod Taylor, etc...

Than, give up a 2nd for Smith

Everyone has zeroed in on Alex Smith like he's going to be something much better than those options.

I just don't think so. Not for hat price at least

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

Because we don't want an Eli/Tyrod/Keenum/Bradford/etc... that will likely not cost us any picks as a 1 year stop gap option?

I could live with Eli. I love the vet presence he could bring to the team. Not a fan of Tyrod/Keenum/Bradforf

Eli will never ever come here 

if he wouldn’t go to San Diego with the beautiful women and weather 

he damn sure ain’t coming to a 0-16 Football team in Cleveland 

and no other QB that’s worth having would either

no FA QB worth a dam is coming here. You gotta trade for one that’s already in contract 

thats why Alex Smith is perfect 

19 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Eli will never ever come here 

if he wouldn’t go to San Diego with the beautiful women and weather 

he damn sure ain’t coming to a 0-16 Football team in Cleveland 

and no other QB that’s worth having would either

no FA QB worth a dam is coming here. You gotta trade for one that’s already in contract 

thats why Alex Smith is perfect 

Then what? Franchise tag him next year? Or is Alex Smith for one year going to make Darnold/Kizer viable just from smelling his presence?

Bills
Jets
Broncos
Giants
Cardinals
Redskins (likely keep Cousins)
Jaguars (likely keep Bortles)
Lions (likely keep Stafford)
Vikings (Likely keep Bridgewater)
Saints (Likely keep Brees)

So that is 5 teams looking to sign or draft a QB other than us.

Taylor
Eli
Keenum
Bradford
Smith
Maybe AJ McCarron

Assuming none of those teams look to start a rookie there are still more available QBs than teams that are looking for a starter. I'm not spending a high pick when we are just looking for a one year stopgap and there will be someone available, even if it isn't your first choice. Alex Smith has been a top 15 QB it isn't that big of a drop to a top 20 QB. I mean, we aren't making a run next year in all likelihood.

C'mon man, this is easy - draft Darnold, move up one from 4 to 3 if you have to for Barkley (normally I'm not a fan of trading up especially for a RB but this kid is worth it) and then trade for Smith.  McCarron would be a plan B if Smith balks (sorry but he filled in quite well for Dalton in '15 and he knows Hues system) and then, hopefully, with our remaining 2nd rounder find a good WR, rush end or OT to groom.  Half our roster is 1st or 2nd year players, we don't need to add another 10 newbies to it - we have the capital to trade up or trade for players as needed so secure a couple of high end draftees, sign a couple of FA's (maybe a WR, CB or S) and then lets see where we are. 

Guys fretting mediocracy are funny;  we've one ONE game in two years and they're worried about going 8-8 for a year or two?  Really?  .... 

Archived