One name.. Alex Smith

brownie man

What to do if we trade for Alex Smith?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Best option

• Still take QB at 1 and go BPA at 4
    • Draft Saquon at 1 and Minkah at 4 get QB later
    • Get either Saquon Chubb or Minkah after trade down from 1 or 4 to get more picks
    • Trade down from 1 and 4

Just now, Aztec Hammer said:

At this point I'm getting antsy about all the things that can come between Darnold and the Browns.

Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson. They are haunting my dreams.

At least with Alex Smith there is a middle ground to be reached. We can have him and Darnold.

Would Alex Smith even want to come here anyway? I'd imagine at this point he must be thinking about legacy and trying to get that one championship; stepping down from KC to 0-16 Cleveland is not the way for a 34 year old to go about that.

Now think about this for a minute. We just watched a rookie QB go through a season with less than favorable results. There is no way that scenario will repeat itself. There HAS to be a veteran QB to bridge the gap. It may not be Alex Smith, but I think he is the best option. The most obvious one is his Dorsey ties. He has had success. He can still play at a winning level. And this way, he can hopefully mentor both the #1 pick AND Kizer. So, I don’t see any other possible way to do it.  

It just might not be Alex Smith, but I like that possibility best. It could also be AJ McCarron because of his Hue ties, but I think Smith would be the better option. Hey, if we’re going to give up #64 for Smith, we might as well give it up for McCarron, although I’d prefer it to be a 3rd rounder.  

Yep I think Alex Smith is about as ideal as it gets.

- A good to very good QB that can get this team to winning and add credibility.

- Mature enough to understand his role in the grand scheme.

- Dorsey connection.

- Somewhat similar playstyle to Darnold.

- Grew up not far from where Darnold did, both Southern California, coastal types with even-keel personalities. Both #1 picks. He could really be a great mentor.

I'd give up the eagles pick but not our top of the 2nd picks that are basically 1st round picks.

I can't justify those picks for a guy that will likely at best play 2 years for us.

Can't give up basically a end of 1st round pick with an extended career of impact potentially for a 2 year veteran stabilizer.

I'm willing to bet he is had for a 3rd and some change.

I wouldn't give up any high pick for Smith. Only way I give up a high pick for a QB is if he is our QBOTF. I don't mean 3 or 4 years. I'd rather spend an early second on a second rookie QB as opposed to a vet. Basing any rookie QB on what Kizer did is a bad idea. He was historically bad. Almost 30 turnovers to go with 11 TD passes and 5 rushing I think. In 2017 no QB should put up those kind of numbers, the league caters to QBs. Sure John Elway had a similar stat line as a rookie but that was a different time. Entering the worst possible situation shouldn't sway a QBs performance all the way down to what we see with Kizer. He was just terrible. We could get another terrible QB but you can't play for that you have to assume he will be decent otherwise you wouldn't have selected him. I say start the rookie.

15 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I wouldn't give up any high pick for Smith. Only way I give up a high pick for a QB is if he is our QBOTF. I don't mean 3 or 4 years. I'd rather spend an early second on a second rookie QB as opposed to a vet. Basing any rookie QB on what Kizer did is a bad idea. He was historically bad. Almost 30 turnovers to go with 11 TD passes and 5 rushing I think. In 2017 no QB should put up those kind of numbers, the league caters to QBs. Sure John Elway had a similar stat line as a rookie but that was a different time. Entering the worst possible situation shouldn't sway a QBs performance all the way down to what we see with Kizer. He was just terrible. We could get another terrible QB but you can't play for that you have to assume he will be decent otherwise you wouldn't have selected him. I say start the rookie.

You need to overpay to regain your footing in the QB room though. Its very clear that we are horrific at developing young QBs so why keep going with the same old failed strategy we always have with playing a 21 year old just to have him flop.

I hate to overuse the word, but with Alex Smith you are not only paying for a darn good QB, but your paying for the stability he brings to the organization and QB room. Somebody needs to show all of these young guys how to win and help them develop by putting them in situations to succeed. Smith brings that from day 1, another 21 year old QB doesnt. It goes back to the blind leading the blind. Everybody is young, nobody knows how to win and all 30 draft picks in the past 2 years are looking to who?

Imagine Coleman, Njoku and Higgins development with Alex Smith throwing them the ball instead of a 1st year rookie.

You have to pay the price to get that stability to your franchise back and if its a 2nd rounder, so be it. It needs to be done. The Browns put themselves in a situation not to name their own price, but instead pay whatever is asked---so its really up to what the Cheifs want.

5 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

You need to overpay to regain your footing in the QB room though. Its very clear that we are horrific at developing young QBs so why keep going with the same old failed strategy we always have with playing a 21 year old just to have him flop.

I hate to overuse the word, but with Alex Smith you are not only paying for a darn good QB, but your paying for the stability he brings to the organization and QB room. Somebody needs to show all of these young guys how to win and help them develop by putting them in situations to succeed. Smith brings that from day 1, another 21 year old QB doesnt. It goes back to the blind leading the blind. Everybody is young, nobody knows how to win and all 30 draft picks in the past 2 years are looking to who?

Imagine Coleman, Njoku and Higgins development with Alex Smith throwing them the ball instead of a 1st year rookie.

You have to pay the price to get that stability to your franchise back and if its a 2nd rounder, so be it. It needs to be done. The Browns put themselves in a situation not to name their own price, but instead pay whatever is asked---so its really up to what the Cheifs want.

If the Chiefs are replacing Smith with a rookie who was drafted 10th overall the year after Smith's best season how long are we going to wait to replace him having a #1 overall QB waiting in the wings? I'm not giving up a top pick to borrow a QB for a year to magically do what Hoyer, McCown, RGIII, Garcia, Wallace, Campbell, Delhomme, Dilfer, etc... couldn't do. By the way that is me saying we have tried vet QBs in the past and it doesn't really do anything more than the young QBs do in terms of success. Sign one? Sure, whatever, but i'm not giving up draft capital for a temporary bandaid.

12 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Not sure I would even would go that high.

Maybe our 4th.

And that's if they even will deal with Dorsey.

I mean, they did fire him.

Alex Smith would be the best Browns QB since Bernie Kosar and some Browns fans wouldnt part with even a 3rd round pick hahaha

Here is the last 3rd and 4th round picks the Browns have taken in the last 6 years. Only notable guys are Kirksey and Travis Benjamin. Now tell me why you would want to hang onto all of those precious mid round picks and not give up a 2nd rounder for Alex Smith? Dont want to miss out on the chance to draft the next James Michael-Johnson?

Shon Coleman

Cody Kessler,

Ricardo Louis,

Xavier Cooper,

Vince Mayle,

Ibraheim Campbell,

Terrance West,

Pierre Desir,

Leon McFadden

John Hughes,

James Michael Johnson

Greg Little

Alex Smith would literally be the greatest QB the Browns have had on their roster ten fold. It would only be out second legit attempt at adding a proven veteran and the first attempt was Jeff Garcia who was never really a good QB. He had declined for 2 straight years before Cleveland gave him a one season shot.

QBs still in the league

Drew Brees    38
Eli Manning    36
Jay Cutler    34
Aaron Rodgers    33
Matt Ryan    32
Phillip Rivers    35
Ben Roethlis    35
Joe Flacco    32
Tom Brady    40

QBs who recently retired and age in last season.

Tony Romo    36
Brett Favre    41
Carson Palmer    37
Kurt Warner    38
Peyton Manning    39

We have Browns fans who are crying because we went into the season with no proven veteran in the QB room and crying we let Josh McCown and Brock Osweiler go but we aren't willing to bring in Alex Smith? Oh Browns fans...Literally the only bunch on the planet douchey enough to throw a parade for going 0-16. I have never been ashamed to be a Browns fans until today when that garbage happened.

I'd trade #33 for Alex Smith in a heartbeat and no think twice about it. I would still obviously target a franchise QB at the top of the draft, but Alex Smith makes the Browns relevant instantly and based on the continued increase in longevity of QBs and they face his game has never been based on great athletic traits or a huge arm I believe Smith can easily play 4-7 more years.

5 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

If the Chiefs are replacing Smith with a rookie who was drafted 10th overall the year after Smith's best season how long are we going to wait to replace him having a #1 overall QB waiting in the wings? I'm not giving up a top pick to borrow a QB for a year to magically do what Hoyer, McCown, RGIII, Garcia, Wallace, Campbell, Delhomme, Dilfer, etc... couldn't do. By the way that is me saying we have tried vet QBs in the past and it doesn't really do anything more than the young QBs do in terms of success. Sign one? Sure, whatever, but i'm not giving up draft capital for a temporary bandaid.

Tried a bunch of washed up has been's that were never really even good when they were a been. Alex Smith is on a different playing field than every QB you just mentioned.

Archived