One name.. Alex Smith

brownie man

What to do if we trade for Alex Smith?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Best option

• Still take QB at 1 and go BPA at 4
    • Draft Saquon at 1 and Minkah at 4 get QB later
    • Get either Saquon Chubb or Minkah after trade down from 1 or 4 to get more picks
    • Trade down from 1 and 4

31 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

If we trade for Smith (I don't care what his deep ball stats were in 2017 he doesn't fit Hue's system) you are okay with letting him walk? He isn't going to sign a 1 year extension, he has one contract left he will sign where he can start a few years as long as he plays well. That place isn't going to be with a team that just drafted a QB #1 overall.

We're all ready to win, we were never ready to lose. If we want to win right away draft Mayfield as he is probably most ready to jump right in. We can't just give up #33 for a rental QB to get the 0-16 stink off of us, that isn't what Sashi would do.

I wouldn’t give up 33, probably the Eagles pick.

As far as recouping that value, it would be possible to get a 3rd round compensatory pick if we didn’t sign much in FA and he walked.

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well if you can ignore the difference between a #1 overall QB and Kessler, Kizer, Quinn, Manziel, McCoy etc... I can ignore the difference between a 34 year old Garcia and a 34 year old Alex Smith.

Smith, if available, would do better than a rookie in 2018 in all likelihood but what do you do when his contract expires after the 2018 season? You just drafted a QB #1 overall so I assume you let him walk. He may give you a comp pick but otherwise you just wasted a high pick on him unless you think he is taking us to a championship next year.

You bring him in for 1 season. Let him stabilize the QB room while Darnold and Kizer sit and learn how this operates, let Smith get this team back on track then start Darnold in 2019.  If anything you resign Smith after next season to a vet backup deal.

Alex Smith is a really good player and I'd love to have him on the team next year.

But As Bucky Brooks says, Alex Smith is Trailer and not a Tractor...

A tractor pulls everyone behind them and elevates the play...

A trailer player needs optimal conditions to thrive and goes along w/ however strong everything else is out in front of him

You don't give a 2nd round pick up for a 34 year old trailer QB..for 2 years of play as a bridge QB

The conditions in Cleveland are so optimal to let him shine

That same pick CAN not guaranteed of course get you a Larry Ogunjobi, Emmanuel Ogbah, David Njoku and 4-10 years of play impact.

I'd give up a 3rd.

1 minute ago, Mind Character said:

Alex Smith is a really good player and I'd love to have him on the team next year.

But As Bucky Brooks says, Alex Smith is Trailer and not a Tractor...

A tractor pulls everyone behind them and elevates the play...

A trailer player needs optimal conditions to thrive and goes along w/ however strong everything else is out in front of him

You don't give a 2nd round pick up for a 34 year old trailer QB..for 2 years of play as a bridge QB

The conditions in Cleveland are so optimal to let him shine

That same pick CAN not guaranteed of course get you a Larry Ogunjobi, Emmanuel Ogbah, David Njoku and 4-10 years of play impact.

I'd give up a 3rd.

but we don't have a trailor. 

i can't work inside that metaphor to describe our QB situation. we NEED Alex Smith for 1 year with our QB group. 

Archived