One name.. Alex Smith

brownie man

What to do if we trade for Alex Smith?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Best option

• Still take QB at 1 and go BPA at 4
    • Draft Saquon at 1 and Minkah at 4 get QB later
    • Get either Saquon Chubb or Minkah after trade down from 1 or 4 to get more picks
    • Trade down from 1 and 4

49 minutes ago, Kathouse Sticks said:

They fired him, but if they have decided it’s Mahomes’ time and want to move Smith, if we can help them out, I’m sure they would take the draft pick. 

And if they haven't decided it's Mahomes' time, we probably do not need this thread.

48 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

There is a difference, Alex Smith is twice the QB than any of those guys mentioned. He is a Pro Bowler, lowest turnover rate in NFL and a playoff caliber QB.

So you just want to keep throwing 21 year olds into the fire and rinse/repeat with 3-13 seasons?

Well if you can ignore the difference between a #1 overall QB and Kessler, Kizer, Quinn, Manziel, McCoy etc... I can ignore the difference between a 34 year old Garcia and a 34 year old Alex Smith.

Smith, if available, would do better than a rookie in 2018 in all likelihood but what do you do when his contract expires after the 2018 season? You just drafted a QB #1 overall so I assume you let him walk. He may give you a comp pick but otherwise you just wasted a high pick on him unless you think he is taking us to a championship next year.

4 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

Btw I have no clue why he’d even want to come here, he’ll want to go somewhere closer to winning. I know he’d have to come here in a trade but no way he signs long term. 

Just draft a qb!!!

Because we would re-sign him to a deal that no one in the right mind would give with a huge amount guaranteed.  That's why.  

If we can't get cousins I am all for overpaying the everloving #### out of Smith for 2-3 years.  I am also fine giving up that late 2nd rounder to do it if we have to give up a good pick.  

I realize it is not the best use of a 2nd round pick but face it people, until this team gets an actual QB and wins some games, it doesnt matter anyway.  We will never win as long as the blind keep leading the blind.  

So, am I reading this right that folks don’t want a pro bowl qb for next season? Huh....

Well....I do, depending on the cost.  I’d part with a 2, and maybe a 3rd day pick, if that’s what'd take. Our owner, coach, fans, no one is prepared for another season of growing pains from a rookie qb.

Id happily pay Smith and let Darnold (or whoever we take at 1) sit and learn for a season or two.

4-44 fellas.  We’re not even a joke anymore around the league, other fans just pity us.

I’m ready to win.

It's funny that some of you guys think in terms of "ratehr have our QB of the future for 15 years than a 2 year guy".  For one, we can have both.  And also, as long as the blind keep leading the blind we will keep losing, and losing deters anyone with CHOICES from coming here.  As long as that is the case we will always have a competitive disadvantage and never win.  Ever.

8 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

Because we would re-sign him to a deal that no one in the right mind would give with a huge amount guaranteed.  That's why.  

If we can't get cousins I am all for overpaying the everloving #### out of Smith for 2-3 years.  I am also fine giving up that late 2nd rounder to do it if we have to give up a good pick.  

I realize it is not the best use of a 2nd round pick but face it people, until this team gets an actual QB and wins some games, it doesnt matter anyway.  We will never win as long as the blind keep leading the blind.  

Smith would be my choice at the right price.

Definitely do not want Cousins or McCarron.

Still boils down to whether Hueball is still here and whether we get a competent OC.

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

So, am I reading this right that folks don’t want a pro bowl qb for next season? Huh....

Well....I do, depending on the cost.  I’d part with a 2, and maybe a 3rd day pick, if that’s what'd take. Our owner, coach, fans, no one is prepared for another season of growing pains from a rookie qb.

Id happily pay Smith and let Darnold (or whoever we take at 1) sit and learn for a season or two.

4-44 fellas.  We’re not even a joke anymore around the league, other fans just pity us.

I’m ready to win.

Yes we need to get our playoff cherry popped so to speak. 

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m ready to win.

Only 2nd ever 0-16 season
1-31 in two years
4-44 in three years(4-48 with out 4 game losing streak to end 2014)

31/31 NFL teams have been to playoffs since Cleveland Browns
30/30 NBA teams have been to playoffs since Cleveland Browns
30/30 NHL teams have been to playoffs since Cleveland Browns
29/30 MLB teams have been to playoffs since Cleveland Browns(Seattle)

120/121 Pro Franchises have been to playoffs since Cleveland Browns

27/31 NFL teams have been to and WON playoff game since Cleveland Browns were IN
-Lions(1990), Bengals(1991), Dolphins(2000), Bills(1995)
29/30 NBA teams have been to and WON playoff series since Cleveland Browns were IN
-Bucks(2001)
27/30 NHL teams have been to and WON playoff series since Cleveland Browns were IN-Panthers(1995), Jets (Never), Blue Jackets(Never)
25/30 MLB teams hav ebeen to and WON playoff series since Cleveland Browns were IN
-Seattle(2001), Atlanta(2001), Washington(Never), Cincinnati(1995), San Diego(1998)

108/121 Pro Franchises have been to and WON playoff series since the last time Cleveland Browns were even IN the playoffs.

8 Different Drivers Won NASCAR Championship
9 Different Drivers Won Indy Car Championship
7 Different Formula 1 Drivers Won F1 Championship

126/130 NCAA FBS Programs have been to Bowl since Browns were IN playoffs
114/130 NCAA FBS Programs have been to and WON Bowl games since Browns were IN playoffs(Over half dozen of the team who haven't are new to FBS in last 6 years)

29/31 NFL Teams have been to playoffs TWICE since Browns last appearance
30/30 NBA Teams have been to playoffs TWICE since Browns last appearance
28/30 MLB Teams have been to playoffs TWICE since Browns last appearance
30/30 NHL Teams have been to playoffs TWICE since Browns last appearance

117/121 Pro Teams have been to playoffs TWICE since Browns last appearance

-Buffalo Bills, Oakland Raiders, Miami Marlins, Seattle Mariners

-The only 4 teams to not make a Bowl game since Browns were in playoff haven't even been bowl eligable longer than 5 seasons.

Currently tied for 10th longest post season drought in NFL history with 15

LGB I believe the Cleveland Browns have blown way past "joke". Honestly I don't even get offended when I hear late night TV jokes and when the growing population of Steelers fans here in the Cleveland area take their shots. It has grown to epic levels of pathetic.

1 minute ago, bruceb said:

Definitely do not want Cousins or McCarron.

I would be also fine signing cousins to some 4 year 100+ million dollar deal.  I would rather have cousins straight up over smith, but the fact that we wouldnt have to give a pick makes it that much better.  The contract would have to be longer and a lot more money, but that is worth it to me cause I think he is better and we keep the picks.  

Mccaron just sounds stupid if we have to give up picks.  If none of the other QBs want to play here, then fine signing mccaron and then...........whatever.

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m ready to win.

If we trade for Smith (I don't care what his deep ball stats were in 2017 he doesn't fit Hue's system) you are okay with letting him walk? He isn't going to sign a 1 year extension, he has one contract left he will sign where he can start a few years as long as he plays well. That place isn't going to be with a team that just drafted a QB #1 overall.

We're all ready to win, we were never ready to lose. If we want to win right away draft Mayfield as he is probably most ready to jump right in. We can't just give up #33 for a rental QB to get the 0-16 stink off of us, that isn't what Sashi would do.

2 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

I would be also fine signing cousins to some 4 year 100+ million dollar deal.  I would rather have cousins straight up over smith, but the fact that we wouldnt have to give a pick makes it that much better.  The contract would have to be longer and a lot more money, but that is worth it to me cause I think he is better and we keep the picks.  

Mccaron just sounds stupid if we have to give up picks.  If none of the other QBs want to play here, then fine signing mccaron and then...........whatever.

I'm okay with going all in on Cousins (shutup people). I wouldn't draft a QB round 1 this year it would be Cousins' job. We would trade back and pick up a great deal of assetts or future assets and we'd be set up pretty good. I don't think Cousins would come here, just a hunch but if he did I wouldn't complain.

32 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

I guess?  I see him rather going to a team that’s a lot closer to winning. That ain’t here. 

3 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

We would trade back and pick up a great deal of assetts or future assets and we'd be set up pretty good.

Assets are nice.

I love them.

But the only way to get a shot at the best in a draft QB crop is to suck bad.

Which for us at this point is unacceptable.

We already got the #1 by sucking.

Let's use it well (Darnold or Rosen) now, and move forward.

Archived