One name.. Alex Smith

brownie man

What to do if we trade for Alex Smith?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Best option

• Still take QB at 1 and go BPA at 4
    • Draft Saquon at 1 and Minkah at 4 get QB later
    • Get either Saquon Chubb or Minkah after trade down from 1 or 4 to get more picks
    • Trade down from 1 and 4

4 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Then what? Franchise tag him next year? Or is Alex Smith for one year going to make Darnold/Kizer viable just from smelling his presence?

Bills
Jets
Broncos
Giants
Cardinals
Redskins (likely keep Cousins)
Jaguars (likely keep Bortles)
Lions (likely keep Stafford)
Vikings (Likely keep Bridgewater)
Saints (Likely keep Brees)

So that is 5 teams looking to sign or draft a QB other than us.

Taylor
Eli
Keenum
Bradford
Smith
Maybe AJ McCarron

Assuming none of those teams look to start a rookie there are still more available QBs than teams that are looking for a starter. I'm not spending a high pick when we are just looking for a one year stopgap and there will be someone available, even if it isn't your first choice. Alex Smith has been a top 15 QB it isn't that big of a drop to a top 20 QB. I mean, we aren't making a run next year in all likelihood.

Taylor will probably resign

I think Minnesota will keep both Teddy and Keemun 

Eli will probably go to Jacksonville or stay in NY

Mccarron would require a pick he’s gonna be tendered unless his wins his court case

Alex Smith is our best bet 

Id rather trade for him than sign Sam Bradford 

22 minutes ago, StewieRules said:

C'mon man, this is easy - draft Darnold, move up one from 4 to 3 if you have to for Barkley (normally I'm not a fan of trading up especially for a RB but this kid is worth it) and then trade for Smith.  McCarron would be a plan B if Smith balks (sorry but he filled in quite well for Dalton in '15 and he knows Hues system) and then, hopefully, with our remaining 2nd rounder find a good WR, rush end or OT to groom.  Half our roster is 1st or 2nd year players, we don't need to add another 10 newbies to it - we have the capital to trade up or trade for players as needed so secure a couple of high end draftees, sign a couple of FA's (maybe a WR, CB or S) and then lets see where we are. 

Guys fretting mediocracy are funny;  we've one ONE game in two years and they're worried about going 8-8 for a year or two?  Really?  .... 

Who exactly is fretting mediocrity?  And what was written as to the circumstance?

Is mediocrity better than no wins?  Yep. But mediocrity in the long term is garbage. See Bengals. 

1 minute ago, pnies20 said:

They will want way too much for Smith. I would be pretty upset if we gave 33 or 36 for him.

So you’d be pissed to trade away a second round pick, something we’ve been notoriously bad with utilizing. For a Pro bowl QB. One who’s coming off his best season to date. At 33 years young, which is still young for a QB btw. Who could stabilize the position for the next three years. At the one position we haven’t fixed in a decade. All while allowing our future franchise QB to get the Rodgers treatment. Something we’ve been terrible at executing so he can grow properly and set us for a decade and a half hopefully. Your willing to pas on a QB of his caliber for a rookie who’s never played a down in the nfl. Something we have plenty of. Don’t you think a QB of smiths caliber will not only allow Darnold to grow but also help the young kids on this team like Gordon. Coleman. Njuko. It’ll help them grow knowing who’s throwing them the ball. I mean honestly there’s no downside to this. I’d make him the highest paid QB for the next two years atleast to keep him. We need to stabilize the QB position if we want any growth 

1 hour ago, bosko1616 said:

So you’d be pissed to trade away a second round pick, something we’ve been notoriously bad with utilizing. For a Pro bowl QB. One who’s coming off his best season to date. At 33 years young, which is still young for a QB btw. Who could stabilize the position for the next three years. At the one position we haven’t fixed in a decade. All while allowing our future franchise QB to get the Rodgers treatment. Something we’ve been terrible at executing so he can grow properly and set us for a decade and a half hopefully. Your willing to pas on a QB of his caliber for a rookie who’s never played a down in the nfl. Something we have plenty of. Don’t you think a QB of smiths caliber will not only allow Darnold to grow but also help the young kids on this team like Gordon. Coleman. Njuko. It’ll help them grow knowing who’s throwing them the ball. I mean honestly there’s no downside to this. I’d make him the highest paid QB for the next two years atleast to keep him. We need to stabilize the QB position if we want any growth 

Keenum also had a career best year with very similar production as Smith and he is 4 years younger and wouldn't require a high draft pick to acquire. If you're willing to give Smith $28 million per year I'm sure we could land Keenum in free agency by overpaying him too, and it wouldn't even be close to that number.

Look, if our drafted QB has any type of ability, he will be starting somewhere between game 7-9 and that will be it. Why bring in an expensive 6 game starter on a 4 or 5 year contract and be stuck with him eating up huge cap dollars riding the bench. Never going to happen!!! All we need is a solid career backup who can hold the fort till Darnold is ready to start, if he wins 2 games till Darnold is ready, who cares??? Our future starts in 2019 not 2018, 2018 will just be used to prepare Darnold for year 2.

We are not going to waste assets on a solid starting QB who will only start 6 to 8 games and tie up our salary cap for 4 or 5 years, because that is the asking price for solid starting QB's. Quit dreaming folks and let's stick to reality. We need every pick we have and I doubt we will be willing to give up much more than a 5th for the guy who will start 6 to 8 games for us next season!!!

Smith isn't coming here, and if Andy Reid isn't fired, I seriously doubt Smith leaves KC anyway and I doubt any of the guys on the above lists will be signed by us especially if they want to remain as starters in the NFL???.

6 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Keenum also had a career best year with very similar production as Smith and he is 4 years younger and wouldn't require a high draft pick to acquire. If you're willing to give Smith $28 million per year I'm sure we could land Keenum in free agency by overpaying him too, and it wouldn't even be close to that number.

Keenum hasn’t been consistently good. This is his first year. Alex smith has been consistently good for awhile now. The goal isn’t to get just any QB. It’s to get a QB to help a young QB guy along and teach him the little things. But don’t get me wrong Keenums my third QB right now Smith/McCarron/Keenum. 

7 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

He’d be great too.

I don’t care so much who it is, as long as they are competent and able to start a season or two.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He’d be great too.

I don’t care so much who it is, as long as they are competent and able to start a season or two.

You have to remember though that Minnesota Offense is very underrated the WR goes 5 deep in talent. There TE is top 5. There RBs are no slouches. Imagine how good they’ll be with Cool back. And that defense is legit. Smith outside of Kelley and hill has elevated a lot of the guys up. Carried his team when that defense has struggled. And allowed guys to grow by simply knowing the playbook better then everyone else. Smith is a better buy for our situation right now. IMO 

1 minute ago, bosko1616 said:

You have to remember though that Minnesota Offense is very underrated the WR goes 5 deep in talent. There TE is top 5. There RBs are no slouches. Imagine how good they’ll be with Cool back. And that defense is legit. Smith outside of Kelley and hill has elevated a lot of the guys up. Carried his team when that defense has struggled. And allowed guys to grow by simply knowing the playbook better then everyone else. Smith is a better buy for our situation right now. IMO 

I’m not sure what you’re arguing here, I never said Keenum was better.

I would rather have Keenum than Smith though as Keenum wouldn’t cost a pick and either guy is only starting for a year.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m not sure what you’re arguing here, I never said Keenum was better.

I would rather have Keenum than Smith though as Keenum wouldn’t cost a pick and either guy is only starting for a year.

Do you think it would be wise to hve Darnold sit for just a year ? I mean more likely then not this will be hues last year. I’m fully convinced we’re going to give him this year and anything short of a playoffs or 8-8 I think he’s gone. Why ? Because he’s not Dorsey’s guy and I’m pretty sure Dorsey’s going to want his guy. So why not have Smith for 2-3 years so he can go through another coaching change while Darnold learns the game. Let the guys develop so the team is prepared for a young starter. Dorsey was there with Rodgers. And I’m sure he’s going to think it’s going to be best to give him that Rodgers treatment. So why not go with a guy who’s not just a one year starter. Has consistently been above average in multiple different schemes and can bring some respectability back to our team. I mean if your free agent who are you going to trust Keenum or Smith. 

Archived