Rams 2018 offseason

holt_bruce81

I am excited about this offseason. The storyline Ill be watching out for is the Rams decision on what to do with guys like Tru, Watkins, Barron, and Joyner. When do they give Donald the contract he so rightfully deserve.

Also lets take into account that now LA is a destination for players to come. The city is great, the team is on the rise in terms of culture, stability, fun, and winning. Like players are gonna want to come to the Rams. It will be interesting to see how many free agents will have the Rams on top of their list of teams they would be interested in this offseason.

Then there is the draft. The Rams dont have many needs. Cornerback if Tru isnt back. Getting younger edge rushers because Quinn is getting older and has been dealing with injuries and Barwin is old. Future replacement for Whitworth at LT, and also future replacement for Sullivan at OC. Outside of that, the Rams dont need much. They could just add depth to their roster and really be a dangerous team moving forward. The future is bright and I trust Snead/McVay to continue to pull the right strings.

6 hours ago, Flounch said:

A pile Jumper ? He's our all time leading tackler and one of the saffest tackler we had...

Laurinaitis was a good guy who didn't miss a lot of tackles, but he was a major liability in M2M coverage and couldn't shed blocks any better than Ogletree.

37 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Laurinaitis was a good guy who didn't miss a lot of tackles, but he was a major liability in M2M coverage and couldn't shed blocks any better than Ogletree.

Yes i only say i miss the sure tackle :)

So, I know it's still early in the process given that we won't see what coaches from what staffs are retained until after the teams with vacancies hire their HC's, however...

We know Olson is set to be announced as Gruden's new offensive coordinator in Oakland, so we're going to have a vacancy at QB coach.  Now, given that LaFleur is a former QB coach and McVay is doing his own play-calling, I'm not as worried about this having a stunting effect on Goff's development.  This is not an attempt to minimize Olson's influence, because he's clearly had a positive impact on all of the last 3 QB's he's worked with, but rather just confidence in LaFleur to continue on.think 

However, I also see this as an opportunity - should McBae choose to use it as one... and his coaching personality leads me to believe he's the type - to use the opening to bring in another source of input and experience with a different scheme or a different varietal of the WCO that could provide new insight and suggestions for tweaks, plays, etc.  I don't think Kromer's brother is going to be promoted from within because I don't know that he has any experience working with offensive skill position players.  Zac Taylor is a possibility for an internal promotion given that he has prior experience as a QB coach in Cincinnati and Miami - and he's probably the odds-on candidate for the job.

But, if McVay doesn't go that route, does anyone have any recently/could-be release coaches they think would be good fits?  I'm not talking lateral hires.

11 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Off the top of my head, Alex Van Pelt is a guy who fits that mold.

I'd agree.  I'm largely trying to think a bit outside the box with this given that, assuming the offense (and Goff) continue on a steady climb (I'm not so unreasonable to not expect a plateau or two along the way), LaFleur is eventually going to become a hot HC candidate name as DeFilippo, Gase, Lil Shanny, and Caldwell have, and it would be beneficial to have in-house options if/when that happens.  I expect him to be offered an OC job by someone, but if he isn't I'd actually throw Jim Caldwell's name in the mix as well.  It adds a further veteran presence to the staff, Joe Barry has worked on the same staff so there is a connection, and there's no denying his pedigree (not to mention I think he could actually benefit Goff's mental game at the position).

I’m starting to think through offseason scenarios, and today I was going through letting Sammy walk if he is asking for too much. And honestly, the thought doesnt bother me, like I thought it would. 

Goff has an obvious connection with both Woods and Kupp, plus we drafted Everette to be a playmaker in this offense. And sliding Josh Reynolds into that Watkins spot (and using the money elsewhere) is starting to sound like a pretty good idea. 

Yea it would be a bummer to have essentially wasted a 2nd rounder, but it’s not a Top 50 pick, and it would be a bigger mistake to compound it with an overpay. 

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Okay, put me on the DaRon Payne bandwagon. I want him. If he by some miracle falls to us, we need to sprint to the podium. Donald, Payne, and Brockers would be an unfair DL.

According to Scouts Inc we should get him no problem :)

McShay's take: Payne is an excellent run-stuffer who is tough to move off the ball and has the upper-body strength to control blockers. He's also athletic enough to serve as a lead blocker in short-yardage situations, and he caught a touchdown pass against Clemson. The downside is Payne (6-foot-2, 319 pounds) is a relatively one-dimensional defender who has three career sacks and doesn't regularly generate pressure as a pass-rusher.

Scouts Inc. ranking: 42 | Where he projects in the draft: Second or third round

11 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I’m starting to think through offseason scenarios, and today I was going through letting Sammy walk if he is asking for too much. And honestly, the thought doesnt bother me, like I thought it would. 

Goff has an obvious connection with both Woods and Kupp, plus we drafted Everette to be a playmaker in this offense. And sliding Josh Reynolds into that Watkins spot (and using the money elsewhere) is starting to sound like a pretty good idea. 

Yea it would be a bummer to have essentially wasted a 2nd rounder, but it’s not a Top 50 pick, and it would be a bigger mistake to compound it with an overpay. 

We could still get like a third round compensatory pick back for him

32 minutes ago, RamRod said:

We could still get like a third round compensatory pick back for him

Only if we basically dont spend any of that money allocated for him, which wouldnt be the point of letting him walk.

If you dont keep him, you use that cap space to go get a LB, or Lineman or something we dont currently have.

17 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Only if we basically dont spend any of that money allocated for him, which wouldnt be the point of letting him walk.

If you dont keep him, you use that cap space to go get a LB, or Lineman or something we dont currently have.

Okay. Temporarily forgot that other signings offset what you lose.

5 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

If we reinvest it into guys already on the roster that doesn't count against the comp pick formula.  That's how the Ravens have managed to hold a constant supply of those picks, because 80% of their cap space each offseason is spent retaining their own.

Archived