Rams 2018 offseason

holt_bruce81

1 hour ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

If you ask me, all of those FA's are pure 4-3 DE's. If anything, they'd be an edge rusher for us--they most certainly wouldn't play on the line in a three man front. Regardless, I think it's all a moot point because I'd put it at about  a 3% chance that we'd go after them (if they even hit the open market) and that's me being generous.

Landry or Key would certainly be enticing options if they were to fall to us in the draft. I expect them to be selected higher, but you really never know what could happen in the draft.

Going off of another post of yours in this thread, I agree that we need an improvement alongside Ogletree at ILB. I also agree that Todd Davis doesn't exactly qualify as an improvement, despite him having experience in Wade's system. I disagree, however, on the idea of bringing Cushing in. I think he's worn out his welcome in the league at this point, between his injuries and his inability to refrain from roiding up. You can't count on him to play.

The worst part about the Ogletree/Barron duo is that we know we need a replacement. We know that Barron is the odd man out between the two if we do get someone else. But I honestly think Barron played better this year. I think that they're just about as even as it gets in terms of athleticism. I think Tree is a fiery leader and that can't be quantified, but Barron is the more reliable, sound tackler. If we were to keep one of the two, I'd actually prefer it to be Barron. I just know that that won't be the case. Regarldless, we can't move forward with two undersized guys at the ILB position in this defense.

The worst part about this situation is I don't see a lot of options at ILB this year. 

I see a lot of mocks where both Key and Landry drop to the end of the first round. Landry didn't play a lot this year because of an injury and I hear he may even drop out of the first round. I am banking on him being the steal of the draft. Line him up with his fellow BC teammate John Johnson and we have one hell of a young defensive unit.

@BStanRamFan Roquan Smith would be perfect but I don't think he will be available. 

We have a lot of options at OLB, the issues come in the NT and ILB positions. I would like to get another versatile DL, that way we can interchange pieces and basically pick where we want to attack. I think if you give Wade a high caliber DL he will find a way to fit him into the scheme like he did with Donald last year. I just see a 4-3 DE being more flexible along the line then a true NT would be. I just like being able to move those guys around based on strategy and matchups.

Roquan is Ogletree 2.0, putting them together behind Brockers instead of a space eating NT while replacing Quinn and Barwin will set our defense back not improve the run defense. Leave Brockers alone he was great at DE. Add a true NT and upgrade Barron to a 3-4 ILB that can def3nd the run and our defense gets better. 

7 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I've seen a few Mock Offseason's giving us Jimmy Graham. One was from a Broncos fan on the MockDraft page. I just don't understand this? I like Higbee and Everett and if we sign any TE it would be Jordan Reed. Is there something I'm missing ?

In the same mock, I saw Barron traded for Aqib Talib straight up, which intrigued me. How much does Talib have in the tank? Seems to be a fit scheme/coach wise, but his attitude doesn't seem to be what McVay covets.

I am considering that trade, one doesn't fit our scheme while the other does. Talib may be old but he is still one hell of a CB and we would walk out of that with more cap room. I know people complain about his attitude, but he is a winner. In my opinion he brings our defense the super bowl experience that was missing this year. 

22 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Roquan is Ogletree 2.0, putting them together behind Brockers instead of a space eating NT while replacing Quinn and Barwin will set our defense back not improve the run defense. Leave Brockers alone he was great at DE. Add a true NT and upgrade Barron to a 3-4 ILB that can def3nd the run and our defense gets better. 

Really? I feel like he was much more physical than Barron, I'll have to take another look at the scouting reports. But I saw him as a stronger physical line backer. Not that it matters because he won't be available to us. 

On 1/30/2018 at 9:51 AM, Fragafootball said:

Really? I feel like he was much more physical than Barron, I'll have to take another look at the scouting reports. But I saw him as a stronger physical line backer. Not that it matters because he won't be available to us. 

Roquan's not a block shedder.  He's a MLB in a defense that uses the downed-linemen to funnel runners to the LB who plays trashman, but he's not a guy who is going to take on a fullback or interior OL, keep from getting himself washed out, and manage to still get to the runner.  Think Jerrod Mayo or even (I'm not as fond of this comparison as I am the Mayo one) Zach Thomas.

Jewell fits what we need.  If I was spending a 1st on an ILB, I'd take Rashaan Evans over Roquan for what we need all day long.  Christian Sam is another guy I think is getting next to no talk, but is a solid late Day 2 guy who is plug-and-play.  And with regards to 3-4 ILB's you don't typically look at guys who are collegiate ILB's unless they're real standouts.  More often it's collegiate strong-side backers who have the lateral agility and hands to move inside.  Another dark horse as an ILB candidate who has all the tools to be another Haason Reddick is Hercules Mata'afa; he was lined up by Washington State as an interior lineman a decent amount of the time, so he's already accustom to habits of IOL and to defending those same gaps, we'd just be asking him to do so moved further back from the line, which he has shown both the burst and instincts to be able to do.

16 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Roquan's not a block shedder.  He's a MLB in a defense that uses the downed-linemen to funnel runners to the LB who plays trashman, but he's not a guy who is going to take on a fullback or interior OL, keep from getting himself washed out, and manage to still get to the runner.  Think Jerrod Mayo or even (I'm not as fond of this comparison as I am the Mayo one) Zach Thomas.

Jewell fits what we need.  If I was spending a 1st on an ILB, I'd take Rashaan Evans over Roquan for what we need all day long.  Christian Sam is another guy I think is getting next to no talk, but is a solid late Day 2 guy who is plug-and-play.  And with regards to 3-4 ILB's you don't typically look at guys who are collegiate ILB's unless they're real standouts.  More often it's collegiate strong-side backers who have the lateral agility and hands to move inside.  Another dark horse as an ILB candidate who has all the tools to be another Haason Reddick is Hercules Mata'afa; he was lined up by Washington State as an interior lineman a decent amount of the time, so he's already accustom to habits of IOL and to defending those same gaps, we'd just be asking him to do so moved further back from the line, which he has shown both the burst and instincts to be able to do.

Who do you rank higher, Landry or Hubbard?

I've been to a few BC games watching Landry, he's got pro bowl potential. He's gonna drop a lot because of a poor 2017, but he was playing injured and double covered all year. I'm big fan of Landry but I've been scouting Hubbard and he looks like an absolute beast. I wouldn't be surprised if we grabbed either one with the first round pick, depending on how the board shapes up.

4 minutes ago, Fragafootball said:

Who do you rank higher, Landry or Hubbard?

I've been to a few BC games watching Landry, he's got pro bowl potential. He's gonna drop a lot because of a poor 2017, but he was playing injured and double covered all year. I'm big fan of Landry but I've been scouting Hubbard and he looks like an absolute beast. I wouldn't be surprised if we grabbed either one with the first round pick, depending on how the board shapes up.

Personal preference is Hubbard because he has heavier and more polished hands (it's been a staple of tOSU DL and it was Bosa's most dominant trait as a prospect) and I'm not sure how much I trust Landry's ankle - would have to see what the doctors say because his game is entirely predicated off his first step and his first step is noticeably diminished when the ankle isn't at 100%.  Landry reminds me of Shane Ray with a better first step (I know he's drawing some Derek Barnett comps right now, but I don't see the ability to use the length he has like Barnett has shown).  Hubbard I haven't been able to completely put a proper comp on but I've seen some Connor Barwin in him and some of the same traits as a prospect that I found myself liking in Everson Griffen (they're built a little differently, but their movements and plans-of-attack are fairly similar).

8 hours ago, berlin calling said:

hey guys. do you see Watkins back with the team or will he be let go?

I’ll put it like this, unless Watkins went full fled TO and criticize the organization on why he wasn’t successful this season, I don’t see why the Rams would trade away and precious 2nd round pick for him only to let him walk freely for nothing.

15 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

I’ll put it like this, unless Watkins went full fled TO and criticize the organization on why he wasn’t successful this season, I don’t see why the Rams would trade away and precious 2nd round pick for him only to let him walk freely for nothing.

A lot can go into it. He may not be the quality of receiver that they thought they were trading for. McVay may think that Reynolds is ready to take the next step. Maybe Watkins wants to get paid more than he's worth and the Rams are happy collecting a supplemental pick for him. 

I hope Watkins is a Ram next year, but that 2nd round pick has nothing to do with what's going on now. 

7 hours ago, I <3 Faulk said:

A lot can go into it. He may not be the quality of receiver that they thought they were trading for. McVay may think that Reynolds is ready to take the next step. Maybe Watkins wants to get paid more than he's worth and the Rams are happy collecting a supplemental pick for him. 

I hope Watkins is a Ram next year, but that 2nd round pick has nothing to do with what's going on now. 

You probably right but I just feel like McVay knows what he has in Watkins but things didn’t quite workout in year one. That’s why the gave up a 2nd round pick for him. I think at worst they would look to see what a second year with Goff and in this offense plus a full offseason with the Rams will do for Watkins. 

Archived