2 year associates degree help

Ty21

I'm wondering what you all recommend I do in regards to getting an associates degree to make decent money in the future. I want a relatively high paying job and doesn't really matter what because I feel like I'm capable of a lot. Im just bored with working in a factory for $25k a year and want something more. 

Ive been looking into electrical engineering which could pay $40-90k a year which sounds nice but ultimately I know nothing about it all so if you all could help me to understand a bit better that'd be sweet. 

1 hour ago, Tyty said:

I'm wondering what you all recommend I do in regards to getting an associates degree to make decent money in the future. I want a relatively high paying job and doesn't really matter what because I feel like I'm capable of a lot. Im just bored with working in a factory for $25k a year and want something more. 

Ive been looking into electrical engineering which could pay $40-90k a year which sounds nice but ultimately I know nothing about it all so if you all could help me to understand a bit better that'd be sweet. 

Consider programming? There are lots of courses online to help you get started. 

1 hour ago, domepatrol91 said:

Getting training in a specific trade may be a better option than college IMO.

I've heard this but don't even know where to start and would my lack of degree ever come back to bite me?

16 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

follow your dreams young tyty

I had a dream last night I was walking around a grocery store and then a couple big thug dudes came in with shotguns and I was trying my hardest to evade them and then bought some brisket 

16 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Consider programming? There are lots of courses online to help you get started. 

Yeah it sounds like a fun/interesting career with a definite future. Problem is I only understand the bare bones of computer since I never even had one til 2009 lol. So I know all the in and out basics in how to operate it and certain things in it I'm decently versed in but I don't know anything about programming or combating viruses. I know I'd learn in college but I feel like I'd be several steps behind everyone else at the start. 

Just now, Tyty said:

I had a dream last night I was walking around a grocery store and then a couple big thug dudes came in with shotguns and I was trying my hardest to evade them and then bought some brisket 

and what do you think that tells you about how to approach the rest of your life?

your answer is the key to your future success  

11 minutes ago, Tyty said:

Yeah it sounds like a fun/interesting career with a definite future. Problem is I only understand the bare bones of computer since I never even had one til 2009 lol. So I know all the in and out basics in how to operate it and certain things in it I'm decently versed in but I don't know anything about programming or combating viruses. I know I'd learn in college but I feel like I'd be several steps behind everyone else at the start. 

I think you'll be closer to everyone else than you'd think. Programming is something that requires reps and is completely different than other brain racking stuff, or at least it was in my experience.

When I was in college, I got an extra credit assignment in physics to simulate the voltage at the midpoint of a 1000x1000 grid with 3 sides of 100 V and one side of 0 V. It took me hours. I didn't count them, but I'm guessing somewhere around 40, and this was a simple thing that I had help on. I don't want this to come off as arrogant, but it was one of the only things in college or even in my work environment (I work in pharma) that I really struggled with. 

As far as I'm concerned, enrolling for programming is like enrolling at Hogwarts. Everybody is going to have to learn to use their brains in a different way, and familiarity with a computer isn't going to matter much at all.

Nursing?

Considering your medical history you’ll be further ahead than most folks heading into a nursing program. Depending on how much you want to work and experience I’ve seen nurses make mid 40’s (new grad) to 200+ (sick bastard who worked way too much OT). In demand job, not specific to any one location and should stand up to automation well moving forward.

Just a thought...

19 hours ago, Tyty said:

Wouldn't worry about that too much if you want to do web development (or most development). A 2 year associates degree for something like app/web development is plenty good because that changes so fast, as I know since I'm a web developer. If I were actually in a hiring position, I'd almost prefer that to a 4 year degree because things can change so quickly that what you learn in the first year of a 4 year degree might not be valid anymore.

Edited for suggestion:
I had an old roommate who went for pipe fitting (so not household plumbing but like big systems for businesses and schools and stuff like that). Seemed like solid pay that he got and definitely can make a good amount even to start and definitely in the long term.

I guess I should also mention I'm in a pretty rural county. Think the biggest city has 9000 or so people and so $200 an hour nursing jobs aren't around me. My moms an er nurse and she makes mid 30s I wanna say. But still, nursing is a 4 year thing anyway

and web development I'm not sure how much success I'd have with it around here unless I drove a bit to Kalamazoo or south bend or Elkhart 

4 minutes ago, Tyty said:

I guess I should also mention I'm in a pretty rural county. Think the biggest city has 9000 or so people and so $200 an hour nursing jobs aren't around me. My moms an er nurse and she makes mid 30s I wanna say. But still, nursing is a 4 year thing anyway

and web development I'm not sure how much success I'd have with it around here unless I drove a bit to Kalamazoo or south bend or Elkhart 

No, you can get nursing degree in 2 years and start working immediately. My wife did this and then finished her bachelor's later on, which her hospital helped pay for...

She's been a nurse for 6 years and is making just under $60K/year. She works in a GI lab though within the hospital now and only works 2 eight hour shifts and 2 ten hour shifts, no weekends. she made more when she worked on an actual floor before transferring...

I see your dilemma though if you're rural...

You might want to look getting a CDL and seeing about driving opportunities. Seems like those are plentiful in rural areas...  

Archived